Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Common Tourism Scams

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Part of this was posted on the original IST scam thread.

I've been to EZE once or twice a year for the last 4 years. I've learned from my own adventures and those of friends there.

The most important is to always have exact change for the taxis. When I change money at the airport (best place is the bank that has a window just inside the customs area, others are ripoffs, so always know what the exchange rates are), and get lots of small bills - 2 peso, 5 peso and 10 pesos.

I have a money clip where I keep 10 peso and larger bills. I keep this in one pocket, and a small roll of 2 and 5 peso bills along with change in the other pocket.

I had gone out to eat in Puerto Madero, and the taxi ride there from my Congresso apartment was 5 1/2 pesos or so, and the driver took the long way there, so should have been a bit less.

Leaving, I took a taxi that was *parked* near there. That was my first mistake. Always flag down a taxi that is driving by. He goes the direct way, but I notice the taxi meter is hyperactive and going about twice as fast as normal. I know I'm getting taken for a ride.

When I get out, the fare is just over 10 pesos, so about double what it should have been. I take a 10 peso bill out of my big money clip, and give him a 50 peso coin. I give them to him. He now points at the 10 peso bill, which has now become a 2 peso bill. I laugh at him, call him a crook, and leave without giving him any more. He shrugs and leaves.

This switch is fairly common. I think I had this happen one other time the year before, when I was pulling money out of my pocket in a dark taxi. This is one of the reasons why I switched to this system. It also helps to say the demonination of the bill you're handing over, to reinforce that they can't rip you off.

The other reason to give exact, or close to exact change is to keep them from passing fake bills to you. They will counterfeit even small bills, such as 5 peso or 10 peso notes. The currency will have a different feel, if you pay attention. I usually will run the tip of my fingernail over the denomination amount in the corner. You'll be able to feel some texture there. If it's totally smooth, then it's a laser copy or such.

Most taxi's in EZE are fine, but just watch out for some of them! Radio taxi's are usually the best ones.
I agree with Jaimito Cartero. I always carry small bills so that I don't need to expect any change. What I've done in Buenos Aires for my past two trips was to pay in US Dollars. With the exception of one cab driver, they have no problem with dollar bills.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mkleiderman
late evening, suburban ROC hotel parking lot.....

I was just getting back to the hotel after dinner, walking across the lot, and a guy comes up to me (walking from the hotel entrance, out into the lot). He tells me a story that he lives an hour or so out of town, his wife had a heart attack earlier that day, was in a hospital in town. He had followed the ambulance, and now he was here, with an empty tank of gas, and no wallet.

He asked for $20 for gas to get home, showed me the registration from his car with an NY address - couldn't tell if the distance was accurate, and promised to repay me by mail when he got home.

I gave him the $, along with my address and email address, figuring I had a 50-50 chance of getting my money back. Never did see it....
Variations of this have happened to me around the US. Fortunately, I never forked out any dough. These guys are usually quite good at being disarming and charming. But that's what good con-men are all about. I've learned to shut them down pretty much when their lips start flapping.

In fact, it happened on my trip to Tacoma, WA just last week. I was pulling my luggage out of the car trunk at the hotel, and some guy was hoofing it across the parking lot saying, "Hey you! Wait up!" I said, "Sorry, I can't help you," and I turned away and marched to the hotel entrance. Not another peep came from the guy.

Interestingly, upon check-in, the front desk clerk gave me the old, "You may receive a survey about your stay with us and we want you to let us know if there is any part of your stay that would not make you mark 'completely satisfied' on the survey." So I said, "Some guy in the parking lot just tried to hit me up for some money, and that didn't make me feel real safe about your hotel." That one sure threw her for a loop. She never said she was going to do anything about it, so if I get a survey I'll be sure to suggest that the hotel have a security guard out front.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
As I left, and was waiting to cross, I felt something hit the ground, near my feet. I looked over at the 13 or 14 year old punk standing near me, and he just grinned. A shoeshine guy had been there a minute earlier, but the light wasn't green yet, so I waited, while he sprinted across.
I had this one in Shanghai, but luckily they just used toothpaste. I felt something at my feet and basically saw the guy start standing up slightly behind me after he had pasted my shoes. I simply grabbed him by the shoulders and then started to rub my foot/shoe against his pants to wipe off the crap he had applied. The look on his face was priceless as I guess no one had stood up to him before.

His accomplice then came over and apologized and wiped off the rest of my shoe for me.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
At the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok, a girl said "Hello, I saw you at the hotel this morning." and continued by asking me how was I enjoying my visit. Eventually, turns out that she knew of a great place to buy gems at great prices. They were even having a sale for that day only. Yeah, right!
That one is a classic.
Every traveller should know about it.

There are two web sites devoted to that scam:From reading (not from personal experience), there is a new twist on this scam.
It is to use foreigners for the first approach to other foreigners.
For example, if you give any hint of being British, the "handlers" will send someone from the UK to approach you.
They recruit young travellers, eager (or desperate) to make money.
Then once the "mark" is ensnared in the net, apparently the foreign "bait" backs off and the local heavies take over.

The rule among experienced travellers/expats in Bangkok is this:
If anyone approaches you in a public place, ignore totally, turn around, and walk away.
A good rule for travellers everywhere.
30-40 years ago, I wouldn't have considered needing a strong precaution like that.
Now I consider it essential wherever I travel.

-- Peter
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:34 pm

The most important is to always have exact change for the taxis.
That's very wise advice for avoiding the common taxi scam of "Sorry, no have change."

Before taking a taxi, I always check to have enough small bills to pay the taxi to go, and to return.
Even when just walking around, I make sure to have enough small bills for a taxi back to the hotel in any emergency, or even if I'm just hot, tired, or lost.
One of my tactical plans for untangling from some street scam is to jump into the nearest taxi.

At my hotel, I ask for small change from the hotel cashier/reception desk, "for taxi".
They always understand, and I've never been refused.
In my daily activities, I'm always paying with large bills in order to get lots of small bills for taxis.
Then it's easy to avoid the "No have change" scam.

-- Peter
Old Oct 16, 2006, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Hong Kong, well before the handover, about 12 years ago:

I was waiting for a ferry to Shekou. A middle eastern looking man and his "friend" approach me. After a little small talk, the ME man explains that he's from Saudi Arabia, had recently been in Los Angeles and had just come to HK. He showed me what looked like a roll of hundreds and asked, "are these good here?" I said, no, he needed HK currency. He asked to see what they looked like. Red lights should have flashed, but I was younger and far more naive, and didn't want to offend ME man. I took out some HK money and showed it to him. He immediately tried to grab hold of it, saying, "let me see." At that point, even stupid me figured out this wasn't good, so I held on to my cash and grabbed his hand with my other hand. Turning his hand over, I saw that he was trying to fold up some of the bills in my hand, even while I was still holding them! The guy was good, but not that good, and I was stupid, but not that stupid. I forcibly pulled back my money, raised my voice and said, "I will call the POLICE." They departed immediately.

In Milan: the old gypsy-kid rush. A gang of young children tried to rush at me all at once. I knew that, if they got close enough, everything in my pockets would have been emptied. I assumed a defensive posture, as if I was preparing to physically hurl them away (and I would have, too), and shouted, "DON'T TOUCH ME!" They immediately left and looked for easier prey.

In Bangkok, someone tried the gem scam on us, but my wife and I immediately recognized it for what it was. We were only inconvenienced by having to find a taxi to get us out of the area where the "special sale" store was.

In Prague: This one was a little scary. We were waiting for a midnight train to Budapest. We had seated ourselves in an area at the back of the main hall where there were some benches that were hidden from view. Gradually, people began to trickle back and sit around us. At the risk of engaging in stereotyping, they all looked like gypsies, and it was absolutely clear that they were checking us out. I grabbed my wife and our luggage and we immediately moved to the center of the station. I stacked our suitcases in the middle, and we each sat on them back to back, so we had a 360 view of everything around us. SUre enough the same gypsies started to materialize in a circle around us. Just as I was really starting to get concerned, a couple of police did a walkthrough the station and the gypsies vanished like smoke. Fortunately, our train arrived right about then, so we moved up to the platform and boarded. I still don't know what they had planned, but it wasn't good for us, I'm certain.

Someone said this in another thread, so I can't take credit for it:

In all my years of travelling, both within the U.S. and abroad, there has not been a single time when a stranger had anything of interest to offer me. The answer is always a polite, "no, thank you" in the local language and, if they persist, simply ignoring them and walking away.

And trust your instincts. It is possible to be wary but polite at the same time.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I have had three instances in South Africa where someone tries to rob/scam me at an ATM/cash point. It was always two or three young teenagers or children who approach me at the machine, and then make a number of excuses to try to get me to look away or become distracted:

1) You have to get your card. You forgot to get your card. Let me help you...
2) You dropped your money on the floor, look, look, you dropped...
3) The machine gave the wrong cash, let me see your cash slip, I'll help...

Being at an ATM, my guard is generally always up and anybody approaching me will immediately raise suspicion. But a bunch of kids making obvious attempts to distract me smells very much like some sort of (poorly thought out I will admit) scam. I bet tourists have fallen for it...

I always refused to comply or accept "assistance" and sternly say no, and walk away. I never count my cash either and immediately put it out of view.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:26 pm

For those who claim they could never be scammed, well...I was 19 and in Marrakesh with several friends, all experienced travelers. We negotiated what we knew to be a reasonable cab fare from the train station to our hotel with two cab drivers. We were also very clear with the drivers that the negotiated rate covered all of us, and was not per person. When one of the cabs pulled up to the hotel, the driver insisted that - you guessed it - the rate was per person, and so was four times what had been agreed on. We insisted that we didn't have that much money. He, in return, refused to open the trunk of the car to get our backpacks out until we paid up. One of my friends ran inside to try to get the hotel staff to help, but they were useless.

The only other really bad experience I've had was in Budapest. My friend and I had been warned by our hotel and the guidebooks that the cabs were a scam and we would be grossly overcharged. So, we took the metro. For those who haven't been, the Budapest metro has this system of punching a new ticket every time you change lines. So if you are going to take two lines to get to your destination, you have to buy two tickets at the outset, but you punch one ticket at the first station, and one at the transfer station. Our last night in Budapest we went out for a lovely dinner at a nice restaurant, and metroed back to our hotel a little after 11. We each bought two tickets and punched one at the first station, but when we got to the transfer station we couldn't find the punching machine anywhere, and weren't getting anywhere by asking people. By this point, it was getting very late, and so when we saw our train arriving, we didn't see any other choice but to just get on. Of course, when we arrived at our destination station, the three metro police officers on the platform ignored the dozens of Hungarians exiting the train, and made a beeline for the two American girls. We each had dozens of correctly stamped tickets from our three days in town, one correctly stamped ticket from that evening, and one ticket without a stamp. We explained what had happened. They backed us against a wall in the now-deserted station, and started screaming at us - the only way to solve the problem was to give them money. When we insisted we didn't have any (true - we were leaving early the next morning), they threatened to call the police, tried to grab a travelers check out of my wallet, and ended up marching us to a conveniently-located ATM to pay the $12 "fine." On the plane the next day, we spoke with a Budapest resident who confirmed that tourists are routinely targeted for these kinds of shakedowns.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I do remember something now from a trip to Germany. I was in the Augsberg Hauptbahnhof, getting ready to catch a train back into München. I had not yet bought my ticket, and was approaching the ticket machine to buy it. A teenager approached me, said that he had a weekend ticket, and if I paid him ten euros, I could ride with him as one of his friends (since up to five people could travel on one ticket).

I was kind of apprehensive, but half-heartedly agreed to go along with it. So we walk up to the platform and I get introduced to about 3 other teenagers. Then he asks me for the 10 euros. I told him I would pay him when we got on the train. Then he said he wasn't travelling on this train, but I was going to be riding with his 3 friends.

At this point, I backed out, said I'd get my own way, and left them. Was it a scam? Who knows. Maybe it would have worked out and I would have gotten a slightly cheaper ride, but who knows. I am very wary of scams like this and will gladly do anything I can to disrupt some low life's attempt to steal my money.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by MilesDependent
To get the ball rolling...

I was in Beijing back in 2000 with my mother. We were walking around Tianamin (sp) Square when one of those guys who ride the bike with the seats on the back approached us. He asked if we wanted to take a tour with him around the square. We said how much and he said 2 Yuan each (about 50 cents each). Thinking that was ab absolute bargain, we said yes.

The tour was OK, but as we were nearing to completing a lap of the square, we asked him to stop. But we wouldn't stop. He kept going and going and then turned down a dark alley where there were about 10 of his bike riding mates. We get out and then he demands 200 Yuan each. We said "you said 2 Yuan" and then he vigorously denied it in his broken english. Then someone else who spoke perfect English came up and said that would be 400 Yuan all up. I said no, and then they all started to surround my mother and threaten her using 'body language' if you know what I mean. So I coughed up 400 Yuan, and away we went.

In hindsight, we should have realised that 2 Yuan was not going to happen. Had I have not been with my mother I would have just run off, but then again, had I not been with my mother, I would not have been picked for the scam.

Morale of the story: If something seems to cheap to be true, it probably is.
For the record, making fifty cents for fifteen minutes on a bicycle is a good deal for them. Taxis in rural towns make about that for 10-15 minute trips, and they have gas to pay for. Many Chinese make about $1-2 per day. We fell for this one, after living in China for nearly a year. I should have walked away. No Chinese is going to challenge a 6'3", 240# American.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Shoe Shine in Mexico.

This was my fault but a few years ago in Mexico City I had my shoes shined. After the guy shined my shoes, he wouldn't give them back until I paid him a 1000 pesos.

I paid him

In hind sight, I never found out the price before hand. I just thought, it is Mexico, how much can it be?

When I did the currency conversion later, I was just depressed.
I hope this was before the peso was revalued.

I got swarmed by the little kids selling chicle in Mexico City. I had my hands in my pockets, and lo and behold, felt little hands trying to get into my pockets. They disappeared as quickly as they swarmed me, once they figured out they weren't going to steal anything from me.

In DC, the homeless guys stand around the "tourist" Metro stations (like Smithsonian) and try to sell you the free maps that the tour buses give out.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I get 2/3 of the way through, I notice the shoe shine guy waiting for me on the other side. As I get close, he starts yelling and pointing at my shoes. I now notice theres a big glop of what lookis like baby crap on one of my shoes.
That happenned to me THREE times during the course of a week stretch in New Delhi. The only time I've ever physically assaulted another human being was after the third occurence (my soiled shoe swiftly found its way to the scooper guy's --who was hiding behind a shrub-- face).
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Condition One
I agree with Jaimito Cartero. I always carry small bills so that I don't need to expect any change. What I've done in Buenos Aires for my past two trips was to pay in US Dollars. With the exception of one cab driver, they have no problem with dollar bills.
If you run a business in the US, would you like to receive polish Zloty's as a payment?

Unless you know for sure that the people would prefer western currency over their local currency, I'd find it very rude and selfish ("I don't care about your country or culture") to offer your own currency instead of the local currency as a payment.

Language is another similar issue. If one hasn't bothered to learn more than one language, one shouldn't expect other people to speak english.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Currency

Originally Posted by ojala
If you run a business in the US, would you like to receive polish Zloty's as a payment?

Unless you know for sure that the people would prefer western currency over their local currency, I'd find it very rude and selfish ("I don't care about your country or culture") to offer your own currency instead of the local currency as a payment.
There are some countries that accept other currencies equally. Cambodians like US dollars more than their local currency. Of course some countries like Panama and El Salvador basically use the US dollar as well.

Personally, I find you pay 5-15% more in some countries trying to use US dollars. I'll always convert at least $50 to local currency, so that I don't get taken.

I recall taking a taxi in London in 1999. He offered to take dollars if I wanted. I was agreeable, but then he tried to tell me that 3 dollars were were worth one pound. I whipped out my currency cheat sheet, and showed it to him, and he backed off.

As you know it seems that 50% of scams involve taxi drivers, so no surprise that they'll try and take you for a *real* ride.

Last month in Cape Town, I was getting some breakfast in a restaurant in the V & A Waterfront. I noticed that they had a sign that said, "We accept US Dollars". For informational purposes, I asked what the exchange rate was. With a straght face, she said "5 rand for 1 dollar". I then followed up and asked her if anyone had actually changed money at that ridiculous rate, and she said, "No".

I think the official rate was about 7.5 to 1. So you'd be losing 33%
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:15 am

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
A few tidbits

Not while traveling but at home, at a shopping plaza, when I was about 14...a guy hit me up for $5 bucks for "gas" following a long sob story about a sick wife or something. Read a couple weeks later in the paper that he got arrested for pulling this on a couple dozen people. Makes me kinda sick now that he actually hit up a 14 year old for money, like I had much to begin with.

Got the glop of shoe-polish on my shoe in Istanbul pulled on me, but seeing as how the kid was tiny and I'm well not it got scrubbed off and I got an apology in broken English for 0 Lira. Really how can you let some little kid get away with this? Don't let your pity for them get the better of you, I doubt they keep any money you give them anyway.

Got ripped off by the Marina hotel in Marmaris turkey, was quoted 30 Lira a night and the price was demanded in Euro when I went to check out, I refused (I didn't have that much cash or that much in my budget) they threatended to call the police, I paid what I aggreed upon and left for the ferry to Greece which was leaving very shortly. I recomend avoiding this hotel, it was roach infested, filled with rude staff and a scam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.