FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Common Tourism Scams
View Single Post
Old Oct 17, 2006, 1:15 am
gradvmedusa

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
A few tidbits

Not while traveling but at home, at a shopping plaza, when I was about 14...a guy hit me up for $5 bucks for "gas" following a long sob story about a sick wife or something. Read a couple weeks later in the paper that he got arrested for pulling this on a couple dozen people. Makes me kinda sick now that he actually hit up a 14 year old for money, like I had much to begin with.

Got the glop of shoe-polish on my shoe in Istanbul pulled on me, but seeing as how the kid was tiny and I'm well not it got scrubbed off and I got an apology in broken English for 0 Lira. Really how can you let some little kid get away with this? Don't let your pity for them get the better of you, I doubt they keep any money you give them anyway.

Got ripped off by the Marina hotel in Marmaris turkey, was quoted 30 Lira a night and the price was demanded in Euro when I went to check out, I refused (I didn't have that much cash or that much in my budget) they threatended to call the police, I paid what I aggreed upon and left for the ferry to Greece which was leaving very shortly. I recomend avoiding this hotel, it was roach infested, filled with rude staff and a scam.