Wiki Posts
Search

Prescription Eye-glasses HKG or SIN?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Prescription Eye-glasses HKG or SIN?

Does anyone have recommendations getting prescription eye-glasses in Hong Kong or Singapore?

What the cost is for single vision? Are transition lenses (change to dark when you go outside) available?

What is turnaround time?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I always get my glasses in HKG. Never been to Singapore, so I cannot compare. I got my glasses in about 4 days. I usually go first day after I land. Price in HK is about third of that in US. This summer I got my pair for about US$120 (single vision), and that's with discounted Versace frame. Exam is free. Think the store name is World's Vision. They have branches in Central MTR station, and Time Square I believe. Most eyeglass stores in Central or Pacific Place or TST area are reliable. Transition lenses are available, but not sure about costs. I actually think HK stores have more choices (type of lens) than US's. I cannot find a certain highly-compressed ultra thin Japanese lenses in US. And the stores usually give you a customer #, so you can order exactly the same thing over the phone next time and have them shipped to you.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Sooooo happy

I took R's advice when we were in HK a few years back. He had had good luck with really expensive frames acquired while on the mainland but needed to "up" his prescription. (All this before he had LASIK at the Bochner Institute in Toronto, about which he raves and raves, but I digress....) A Chinese tour guide, no less, steered us to an HK optometrist who took machine measurements, and in just a couple days produced finished eyewear with blended lenses on killer costly bend-o-flex frames--the type you can literally sit on, with impunity. (Yes, I've done it, and more than once. ) As I recall, the whole business cost about a third of what the glasses alone ran R, back on the mainland. I still wear my HK eyeglasses when I remove my contact lenses. I'm considering intraocular lenses on one of upcoming Bangkok trips. "But I digress...." Sorry, but I don't recall the business name; I don't have the glasses case at hand as I write this, but can PM you if you indicate you want it. ^
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:04 pm

There are numerous eye-glass stores in Singapore that stock all types of lenses - one that comes to mind is the large store in Suntec city (forget the name, but is opposite the tour desks). Optics Premier on the 3rd floor of Centerpoint is another good bet. Prices for lenses start at about S$40-50 for Chinese/Korean brands. Turnaround time is usually about 3-4 days, but can be 30 minutes if they have your prescription in stock.

If you are travelling to BKK, the prices are even cheaper - I recently purchased prescription sunglasses for about 2/3 of the price in Singapore.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:29 pm

We use Capital Optics, SIN, for some very challenging prescriptions we bring from the US. For the past 5 or 6 years, we have only used non USA sites for eyeware in general and SIN in particular as we visit there several times a year but do bring US optometrist prescriptions. (This includes grand-daughter who has had eye muscle surgery in the US twice and requires frequent, demanding prescriptions.) I recommend these people as we trust one of our most treasured possessions, eye sight, to their care on an ongoing basis.

If you need details send PM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I have no first hand knowledge(I buy my expensive lenses only in the US)but want to pass along a warning I received from a friend:

Most lenses in the US are plastic or safety glass. Really cheap glasses in HK or BKK might be made out of cheap flint glass, the kind that shatter into razor sharp needle points. Not the kind of thing you want to find out when a basketball hits your face and breaks a lens. The lenses may be high quality optically and work OK, but are too dangerous to wear.

I would much more trust a SIN product, as I feel they have higher standards than the "anything goes" in other places. No doubt you can get quality safe inexpensive glasses overseas, just beware what you are getting. YMMV.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
No doubt you can get quality safe inexpensive glasses overseas, just beware what you are getting. YMMV.
Good advice Flaflyer.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
I have no first hand knowledge(I buy my expensive lenses only in the US)but want to pass along a warning I received from a friend:

Most lenses in the US are plastic or safety glass. Really cheap glasses in HK or BKK might be made out of cheap flint glass, the kind that shatter into razor sharp needle points. Not the kind of thing you want to find out when a basketball hits your face and breaks a lens. The lenses may be high quality optically and work OK, but are too dangerous to wear.

I would much more trust a SIN product, as I feel they have higher standards than the "anything goes" in other places. No doubt you can get quality safe inexpensive glasses overseas, just beware what you are getting. YMMV.
Thanks for the advice!! Is there anyway to tell whether the lenses are made of plastic or safety glass instead of the flint glass?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by azn75
Thanks for the advice!! Is there anyway to tell whether the lenses are made of plastic or safety glass instead of the flint glass?
Glass is much heavier than plastic, and if you're used to plastic (like most people are these days, I suspect) you'll notice the difference immediately.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:44 am
In memoriam

You folks must be paying big bucks for glasses in the US. Try Costco or the For Eyes chain, both highly rated by Consumer Reports.

I admit that other countries, noteably Japan, have more weird frames than the US market. But, keep in mind that frames in countries where people average smaller than the US may have smaller sized frames too which can be a problem in areas you don't notice until it's too late, such as shorter interocular distances.

With that said, I got some great sun glasses in BKK a few years ago with fancy German frames. Cheaper than in US, but, not cheap.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by biggestbopper
You folks must be paying big bucks for glasses in the US. Try Costco or the For Eyes chain, both highly rated by Consumer Reports.
I failed to check the magazine you referenced for their recommendation on eyeglasses. The endorsement you reported is very interesting as I put a lot of faith in CR.

I must admit that we have never shopped these stores you listed. I think that in the 4th largest city in the US, Houston, only recently has a Costco opened and I am not a member...I am on the West Coast right now and did not google but I am not aware of a For Eyes chain in hometown Houston but maybe just because I am always flying somewhere.

Basis your informative post, I will investigate when I get back.

Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
There is a shop in the Bugis mall next to the IC SIN that is great for glasses. They will even do adjustments for free each time you go back, no questions asked.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by stimpy
There is a shop in the Bugis mall next to the IC SIN that is great for glasses. They will even do adjustments for free each time you go back, no questions asked.
ParisMiki

Several years back when I was wearing glasses, I found that SIN prices were not that competitive compared to US prices especially when I had vision insurance and/or Costco. Glasses I priced in SIN were around S$250 and up. BKK for similar was 6000-7000 baht. This was for high-index, multicoated, anti-reflective, plastic lenses (Hoya) + titanium frames. I could get same in the US for $170-$190.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.