Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travelers: Ever had dental or plastic surgery work done overseas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2002, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

The $ cost for dental work and cosmetic surgery keeps going up in the USA. Has anyone combined a milage run with a trip to an overseas Dentist or Doctor? Maybe you could save so much money that the trip will be basically free with FF miles?

Any advice or stories?
Old Jan 31, 2002, 4:18 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Interesting topic. I just completed a run last week related to the topic. Working on a trip report now...
Old Jan 31, 2002, 5:54 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Yes, I've had dental work in Canada. I've also seen doctors in foreign countries (unplanned visits) and it was soooo much cheaper. I get medications in other countries sometimes too. My husband had his eye surgery in Canada and I have some friends who had some plastic surgery in the Brazil.

I get a sailing magazine that includes a lot of trip reports from cruising families and couples who are just sailing their way around the world. Often, these people have medical problems that require care wherever they might be and because most of them are on tight budgets they have no medical insurance. I've heard some remarkable stories of the wonderful and inexpensive care received around the world.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 6:24 pm

Look for reputable countries where your $ buys most. Good examples would be Germany, Australia and New Zealand to name a few. All have medical facilities on the par with the US.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 6:27 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
In Indonesia I visited the Emergency Room. It was unplanned and not recommended. I paid an extra $1.25 for a new needle for the I.V. and asked (in Indonesian) that they open it in front of me. They didn't. Chances are fair that they just reused a needle and someone made an extra Rp12,000 that day.

As soon as (and again six months after) I got Stateside I had a battery of bloodwork and tests and everything came back negative.

I knew many American expats who had medical treatment (including giving birth) in Singapore and had no complaints.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 6:34 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
I had a friend who booked a trip to Montreal from NC for lasik - the whole trip, including the procedure, costs less than having it done here and she got a great weekend in Montreal! There are travel agents advertising packages for it now...
Old Jan 31, 2002, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Having dental/medical/eye procedures done in Costa Rica is popular. Typically the doctors are US trained, facilities are good, and the cost is a fraction of US prices. This website will probably have some info, or you could post a question there.

http://discoverypress.com/

I've also heard Cuba has special hospitals for foreigners that are like country clubs, and they have state of the art care. Of course, it's a little more difficult to get to, but people do it.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
My brother-in-law is a dentist in London. He's astounded by the fees charged in Canada and the U.S. even when compared to his practice's charges to private dental insurers. I think he hypothetically worked out what his practice would charge for some non-dental surgery work and it would be cheaper to buy a ticket to London from RNO.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 01-31-2002).]
Old Jan 31, 2002, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Some hospitals in BKK cater specifically to foreigners seeking elective surgery and offer all-inclusive travel packages including airfare.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 9:30 pm

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HKG_Flyer1:
Some hospitals in BKK cater specifically to foreigners seeking elective surgery and offer all-inclusive travel packages including airfare.</font>
i have to love how good old-fashioned capitalism is winning business that the US can't seem to compete in on price.

i had a tooth filling fall out in the East Midlands. unbeknownst to me, i had another cavity. for those of you who believe you can't get top-notch dental care in the UK, you're wrong.

the cost for both fillings, including removal of the faulty one, was $117 less than it would have been for just one cavity in the US. i have dental again now....but i must admit that if i have any more, i'd almost pay cash for the understanding, smart, caring, deliberate service i received in the UK.

of course, tooth troubles are not what are taking Americans to Thailand.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gwendolynaoife:
for those of you who believe you can't get top-notch dental care in the UK, you're wrong. </font>
I just have to ask in light of the above: why do many Brits have some of the ugliest teeth I have ever seen? Unattractive teeth seem to be commonplace there.

How does the ordinary consumer know the dental care in the UK is top notch? It doesn't hurt any more? It looks acceptable to the untrained eye?

Reminds me of buying a handmade rug in Istanbul. I have to believe there is much more to the story.

Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:41 pm

It may well be that the top docs in the following countries are every bit as good as the top docs in the US but you will certainly pay more for them than you will using your health insurance in the US:UK, Canada, Italy, Spain, Australia, and China. For anything other than minor urgent care one is better off in the US in terms of quality of medical care.

[This message has been edited by Mvic (edited 01-31-2002).]
Old Jan 31, 2002, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I've added the link to one of the better known hospitals geared towards foreigners in Bangkok:

www.bumrungrad.com

I believe if you contact them directly, they can arrange discount airfares in connection with your hospital stay.

Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold

[This message has been edited by DBoy (edited 02-01-2002).]
Old Jan 31, 2002, 11:51 pm

Brazil is a very good place for both. Plastic surgeons and dentists there are considered as good as any 1st world country.

And to add the miles part, I did use last fall a ticket with my miles on United to go there and did have some dental work done (but my parents live there also, so that obviously would be the main reason to go there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.