Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will there ever be an NYC-TPE nonstop?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Will there ever be an NYC-TPE nonstop?

Have there been any plans by any airline to eventually introduce this on a regular schedule? If not, do you suspect it will happen eventually, or never? Just curious.

I should edit to account for the fact that apparently there IS a China Airlines JFK-TPE nonstop but only in Winter?

Last edited by davietravel; Aug 25, 2006 at 7:55 am
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I know of an acquaintance who used to travel EWR-TPE on Eva Airlines. It is not a nonstop but a direct flight.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by davietravel
Have there been any plans by any airline to eventually introduce this on a regular schedule? If not, do you suspect it will happen eventually, or never? Just curious.

I should edit to account for the fact that apparently there IS a China Airlines JFK-TPE nonstop but only in Winter?
Both CI and BR are stopping in SEA both ways to JFK and EWR respectively.

Only planes that can do non-stop both ways are the 777-200LR and 340-500, since currently, airlines can't use the Polar routes to reach Taiwan. BR has 772LR on order, so they will probably do TPE-EWR non-stop when they get the planes.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:29 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Only planes that can do non-stop both ways are the 777-200LR and 340-500, since currently, airlines can't use the Polar routes to reach Taiwan. BR has 772LR on order, so they will probably do TPE-EWR non-stop when they get the planes.
Even if PRC overflight is not possible, the 772ER could do it. I think the 346 could also. EWR-HKG direct routing is slightly farther than EWR-TPE without PRC overflight (7009 vs ~6990 nm) and CO does HKG n/s with a 772ER.

The 744combi that BR (still?) uses on the EWR-SEA-TPE route has a slightly shorter range than the 744pax and could not do this n/s. Even if it could, the cargo loads would be terrible.

EDIT:
Check this out for evidence:
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=e...avy&MAP-STYLE=
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by DangerMouse
I know of an acquaintance who used to travel EWR-TPE on Eva Airlines. It is not a nonstop but a direct flight.
Getting off the aircraft at 3AM in SEA kinda bites.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfp
Even if PRC overflight is not possible, the 772ER could do it. I think the 346 could also. EWR-HKG direct routing is slightly farther than EWR-TPE without PRC overflight (7009 vs ~6990 nm) and CO does HKG n/s with a 772ER.

The 744combi that BR (still?) uses on the EWR-SEA-TPE route has a slightly shorter range than the 744pax and could not do this n/s. Even if it could, the cargo loads would be terrible.

EDIT:
Check this out for evidence:
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=e...avy&MAP-STYLE=
It's not about great circle distance. It's about flight time. Only reason why CO/CX can do EWR/JFK-HKG non-stop on 346 or 772 is because they use the Polar Routes. With the headwind in northern Pacific, only the 772LR or 345 can fly non-stop without huge payload penalty.

For a couple of days last year, CO cannot use the Polar Routes (can't remember exact reason, probably solar flare or something with the Russians). They need to fly EWR-SEA-HKG.

Edit: Let me add that before there were Polar Routes, UA could still make ORD-HKG with their 744 (probably with reduced cargo); but that route also flies over Northern China, which is not possible currently for flights to TPE.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: AA million miler
Both CI and BR are stopping in SEA both ways to JFK and EWR respectively.
no- the CI IAH departure stops in SEA

the CI JFK stops in ANC

but they are "direct" flights -and yes 3am stops are dreadful

we fly (noonish departures) from JFK n/s to NRT (JL/AA) and connect to TPE, arriving at night, in time to sleep in a bed, instead of CI/BR early morning arrivals

(and of course UA now lost all our paid-F travel since they will drop the JFK/NRT n/s)

its 2 hours or so longer traveling but much easier to acclimate in TPE
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood
no- the CI IAH departure stops in SEA

the CI JFK stops in ANC
Thanks much for the correction.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:16 pm

It's not about great circle distance. It's about flight time. Only reason why CO/CX can do EWR/JFK-HKG non-stop on 346 or 772 is because they use the Polar Routes. With the headwind in northern Pacific, only the 772LR or 345 can fly non-stop without huge payload penalty.
Oops... However a non-stop is certainly possible TPE-NYC...

Is there a good source on the wind data? At what latitude do the winds become an issue?

In addition to the 3AM stops EWR-SEA, you get the pleasure of customs in SEA on the way back. What fun!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, TPE->NYC is definitely possible with the 346 or 772/3ER. 744 and 343 are probably fine too, especially in winter.

I don't have detailed wind data, but just look at recent CO98/99 flight times.

Today (8/25) CO98 departed gate at HKG 10:29a (don't know exact take-off time, but at HKG, usually just a few minutes of taxiing). It landed at EWR 1:01pm. Flight time about 14.5 hours.

Yesterday (8/24) CO99 took off at EWR 3:33p, arrived gate at HKG 6:59p (don't know exact touch down time, but again, just a few minutes before that). Flight time of close to 15.5 hours, and this is via the Polar Route with virtually no headwind. If it flew over the North Pacific, it'd add about an hour, exceeding its range.

And this is summer time. During winter, even stronger wind in Northern Pacific, and the difference is more pronounced.

Another piece of information is CI11/12 itself.

For 8/24, its ANC-JFK leg is around 11:22a to 9:08p, for flight time of about 5:46. JFK-ANC for the last few days are almost exactly 7:00 in the air. So, just for this part of the trip, there's already a 1:15 difference in flight time, and again, this is summer.

In the winter time, the jetstream windspeed around Japan can be over 100 kt. I have record that on a HKG-NRT flight, our ground speed exceeds 700MPH. Just flying between TPE and NRT in the winter, there can be an 1+ hour difference in flight time.

In fact, just look at CI's timetable. Their TPE-ANC-JFK flight has total scheduled time of 17:05; JFK-ANC-TPE is 19:05 in the winter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.