Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If liquid/gel ban stays - Hotels could provide toothpaste, Hair gel, contact solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If liquid/gel ban stays - Hotels could provide toothpaste, Hair gel, contact solution

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MKEbound
If the ban on liquids and gels sticks for more than a few days, I think we as frequent travelers should be proactive in encouraging our favorite hotels to begin stocking rooms with complementary travel sized items including:

Toothpaste
Hair Gel
Solution for contact lens
Bottled water
Shaving gel/cream

What am I missing? What are your thoughts on this?
In most Japanese hotels and most hotels all over Asia, tooth brush & paste, shaver (blades) and cream are standard items. They replace them daily.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I refuse to check a bag on US flights and let the TSA have the pick of my goodies. I can survive two days without my favorite brands; I will just pick up some cheap toothpaste (if the hotel won't supply) and makeup at a drugstore if necessary and use the shampoo and body lotion the hotel provides. If these rules survive after Sept 1, I'll FedEx some small quantities to myself at the hotel for any stay longer than 2 days. What I'm more concerned about are the ex-UK rules; I don't think I could bear a flight to LHR without a book to read, and I generally make extensive use of my Blackberry and cellphone while I'm at the airport waiting for my flight. Hopefully, these extreme measures will go away before my next LHR flight; I'm fortunate to have just returned a couple of days ago and don't plan to get back there for another 2 months.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA,CO,DL,US,MW,NW, SW. Hiton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Evan!
They have historically but they might have to stop doing this if every single guest needs a full supply of sundries. Yes you could ask and occaisionally I did. But not every single check-in. If I need enough to last a week will they give it to me? If everyone needs enough for a week will they give it to everyone? Either rates will go up or they will start having to charge for these things. You can't blame them because it is not their obligation to make us happy if their stockholders are losing profit.
I agree. The hotel items are there for EMERGENCIES. You know... your flight is delayed and you get to the hotel at midnight only to discover the next morning that you forgot your conditioner? They are not meant for daily/regular use. I travel every week and if I was relegated to hotel items, it would be a bad hair (skin, teeth, etc) day indeed!

I already check all my toiletries so I'm not too horrified by that. BUT I use a water mister on-board b/c my sinuses are so irritated by dry plane air that I will get a nose bleed if I don't. What am I to do about that all you smart "stop whining" people out there. HUH?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by kgkhoury
What am I to do about that all you smart "stop whining" people out there. HUH?
Nothing.
You'll just bleed.
Which will cause a panic.
Causing a FAM to shoot somebody.
And then we will all feel much safer.

Unfortunately, these new rules will dramatically increase paranoia and hysteria on board of airplanes, resulting in irregular ops, overreaction and possibly injury/death of innocent people. Btw, an AC plane just made an emergency landing because of a "suspicious item on board".
Old Aug 10, 2006, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I predict booming business for the services that pick up your luggage and ship it to your destination.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by pbjag
I predict booming business for the services that pick up your luggage and ship it to your destination.
Predicting the new boom in businesses is interesting. However, lets think about what businesses my go away because of today:
  • Inmotion. Why would I buy an overpriced CD or DVD if I can't use it on board because the players are banned. And if they allow renting these items but not bringing your own on board I will personnally start a class action suit against any and all involved.
  • Kiosks and stores in the airport selling power adapters, cell chargers, iPods, etc...
  • Kiosks and stores selling ready-to-eat meals for flight purposes.
  • Laptops! Why would anyone own a laptop if not needed for travel? Okay, some people travel by car but there aren't enough of them to sustain a computer company manufacturing laptops. I won't buy another laptop if it can't go with me on biz trips. I will pay less for a tower if it is going to stay at home.

I invite all to add to this list....
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by spgaston
In addition, I'll need to start ringing the FA call button every 15-20 minutes to ask for water. I usually bring my own on board, and am incredibly annoyed that this is no longer possible. I suppose I'll be able to purchase $2/8oz. "secure" water in the airport. Our technology should be able to handle this anyway. Why is baby formula, kid juice, and robitussin any less dangerous than contact lens solution. What about those of us on short trips who can't check a bag?
Unfortunately, we are all out of luck - everything has changed - we will have to be prepared and change the way we fly. The government(s) will make the rules as tight as they feel they need to be to try to reduce the risk - they could even ban meals altogether if they thought it prudent. The alternative is unthinkable (imagine what would happen if 10 planes went down at once - aside from the deaths of thousands, the airline industry would evaporate)

Baby formula and medicine is only allowed in sufficient quantity necessary for the length of flight (i.e. very little) and will be tested ORALLY. contact lens solution evidently has elements that when combined with some other chemicals can be combustible. The technology to "sniff" normally harmless substances (but when cmobined are combustible) does not exist, and probably won't as the potentially combinations are in the thouusands if not millions.

The government(s) will likely apologize for "any inconveninece" but will all the same enforce the rules - they have no choice.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by esopp1956
they could even ban meals altogether if they thought it prudent.
This would kill international travel no differently than a terrorist bombing. One can not be expected to fly 10+ hours without food no matter how prudent it would be to insure security. The automobile manufacturers have the technology to build a 99% safe car at all speeds and any situations. However each car would cost about 1/2 million dollars. The gov't could require it for safety but they wouldn't because it would kill the industry.
Baby formula and medicine is only allowed in sufficient quantity necessary for the length of flight (i.e. very little) and will be tested ORALLY.
Yes, babies are so predictable in when they will be hungry and how much they will consume in one feeding. And of course, babies will be so understanding with weather and mechanical delays. I am not dogging you esopp1956. I am simply pointing out how difficult it will be to implement this kind of policy. Who would be deciding this? The surgean general? Will it be based on a baby's age or weight as to how much is "sufficient"?
The government(s) will likely apologize for "any inconveninece" but will all the same enforce the rules - they have no choice.
Those with "might" will be able to get around the rules. (see my many posts on this subject regarding Hudson News and how much scrutiny is being imposed on their deliveries of toothpaste, etc.) We, the traveling public, have numbers but no organized "strength" to impose a better system than the one in place now. The one in place now is: "We will put the burden of security on the passenger rather than on the security screeners and the TSA. When in doubt, don't ask us (TSA) to work harder or better just tell the public to provide the path of least resistance."
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I am unable to understand how a hotel providing cheap toiletries is going to do much about the issue of people needing hydration or very specific personal care supplies while actually in the security line, at the gate, or on the plane. One passenger interivewed has skin cancer of the lips, and they took away his chapstick, not a prescription item yet required to soothe the lips. Are we to get a doctor's note every time we need a damn chapstick?

A real terrorist has a computer and printer and will just invent doctor, pharmacist, and prescription anyway. Probably some honest people will too, just because they can't afford to pay for an extra doctor's note to get a prescription to carry hand, face, or lip lotion.

I have spent years tracking down a product that allows me to touch paper without cracked, dry skin. I just recently ordered more of this product from out of state, since I can't buy it around here. It isn't going to be provided for me, free at charge, at some hotel, nor is it going to be in the secure zone of some airport's cheezy newsstand.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ProntoPup
Isn't the simplest solution to stop whining and just bite the bullet and check our bag?
Let me guess. You've never checked a bag into, out of or through PHL.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by spgaston
I suppose I'll be able to purchase $2/8oz. "secure" water in the airport.
I doubt it, at least for right now. The LGA food court has signs up that liquids/beverages purchsed inside security still can't go on the plane. It would be too easy to sneak one past security then claim it as "secure" if they really think this is a threat.

btw, I probably could have had anything in my bag and they wouldn't have checked. I left my toiletries in my client-site desk, but going through security seemed no different than usual, aside from a "no liquids" sign at the entrance.

Oh, and they did tell the guy behind me that he had to take his shoes off, as opposed to the usual "you aren't required to remove your shoes but you may be subject to additional screening" bs.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: CO silver
Is it over for Duty Free?

How do they do business in this environment?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Sfo-Dub-Commuter
How do they do business in this environment?
Duty free will probably have enough clout (because of the rents they pay at airports and % of sales they give to airports) to get their perfume and liquor deemed "sterile". I doubt if all the duty free shops could survive selling no liquids or food items. How many watches and tote bags could they possibly sell to make up for lost revenue on liquor and perfume?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by PresRDC
I am very brand loyal. Hotels will not likely the exact brand that I use, which is why I take my own stuff with me. I am not about to start checking a bag either.

My solution . . . hide the stuff on my person in plastic bottles. It won't set off a metal detector and, if I do it right, won't create visible bulges.

Selfish? I couldn't care less.
So what if someone see's your bottle in flight and the flight gets diverted because of you? Good luck keeping your job after that. The bottom line is that liquid explosives have been used to bring down airliners before and surely will be used again.If you have a problem with the laws in place you have the right to write to your elected officals however you do not have the right to inconvience your fellow passangers.
cheers
howie

Last edited by stockmanjr; Aug 10, 2006 at 7:34 pm
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:00 pm

i like to have water with me at all times b/c i find it calming. will i be able to buy water within security?

(geez, hope they dont ban the ipod i also use for relaxation onboard)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.