Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If liquid/gel ban stays - Hotels could provide toothpaste, Hair gel, contact solution

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If liquid/gel ban stays - Hotels could provide toothpaste, Hair gel, contact solution

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Originally Posted by ProntoPup
Isn't the simplest solution to stop whining and just bite the bullet and check our bag?
I'm sorry if you miss took my post for whining. If liquids and gels are permanently banned from carry on bags, I plan on adjusting my travel habits to deal with it.

I take about 75 one night trips a year. It seems foolish to check a bag and add 90 minutes or so to the flights, both coming and going - That's about 225 hours each year wasted to arrive early, check a bag, wait for the bag on arrival, and dealing with much longer waits during the infrequent times when the airlines loses my bag.

I didn't mean for this to be an Omni based tread, what I'm looking for is a way to avoid traveling with all the new banned items and then find them at my destination at a minimal cost and hassle. Additionally, I think this could be a real opportunity for hotels to provide a service for their customers and build loyalty.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:39 am
Suspended

It looks as if Hampton Inns and such should be getting alot more Biz as they supply HBA items for free.

Also I guess the 1st stop will now be some Chain Drug-store and to pick up the sample size items, including the 2 or 4 oz bottles of contact lens solution that some brands make. It wont be cheap but for a few weeks, it wont be the end of the world either.

Or simply add more time to departing and arrivals as a bag will have to be checked.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by ProntoPup
Isn't the simplest solution to stop whining and just bite the bullet and check our bag?

Perish the thought!! Hotels, at least those where I stay, do provide these things--toothpaste, etc. I think you just have to ask.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I am very brand loyal. Hotels will not likely the exact brand that I use, which is why I take my own stuff with me. I am not about to start checking a bag either.

My solution . . . hide the stuff on my person in plastic bottles. It won't set off a metal detector and, if I do it right, won't create visible bulges.

Selfish? I couldn't care less.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I am very brand loyal. Hotels will not likely the exact brand that I use, which is why I take my own stuff with me. I am not about to start checking a bag either.

My solution . . . hide the stuff on my person in plastic bottles. It won't set off a metal detector and, if I do it right, won't create visible bulges.

Selfish? I couldn't care less.
I agree with you completely, but artful concealment of these things from the TSA might just get you arrested - and placed on a list of suspected terrorists.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:09 am

Programs: in C/C++, Python, SQL
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree with you completely, but artful concealment of these things from the TSA might just get you arrested - and placed on a list of suspected terrorists.
More power to him...once he's arrested, that's one less "clever" person slowing down the lines for the rest of us.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
They won't find it though.

I am smarter than DHS and the TSA. That, of course, is not saying much.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scott in LA
More power to him...once he's arrested, that's one less "clever" person slowing down the lines for the rest of us.
If we all refused to comply the rules will go away.

If these restrictions persist for over a week (and I really doubt they will -- they are just too impractical), it will be time for MASSIVE civil disobediance.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by spgaston
I suppose I'll be able to purchase $2/8oz. "secure" water in the airport?
I suspect $12 bottles of Purell will not be far behind
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:24 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Perish the thought!! Hotels, at least those where I stay, do provide these things--toothpaste, etc. I think you just have to ask.
They have historically but they might have to stop doing this if every single guest needs a full supply of sundries. Yes you could ask and occaisionally I did. But not every single check-in. If I need enough to last a week will they give it to me? If everyone needs enough for a week will they give it to everyone? Either rates will go up or they will start having to charge for these things. You can't blame them because it is not their obligation to make us happy if their stockholders are losing profit.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA*back to GM, DL Silver, HA-29 segments and counting
Traveling on the redeye tonight.......any update on laptops & security?

I feel so lucky. Haven't taken a flight in the last 27 days (which is a long break this year)
Mr. Gal and I are flying SFO-ATL redeye on Delta for a wedding -- in coach *sigh*
In reading the TSA website, I didn't see a laptop ban. Is this only for flights from the UK?

Any reports from domestic travelers on the security experience today?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by PresRDC
If we all refused to comply the rules will go away.
The TSA will turn away one person who does not comply or ALL persons who do not comply. They could care less because they lose nothing by barring individuals or groups from flying. You can't boycott an orginization that has no sales. If we refuse to fly then they will be happy to sit at an empty airport earning their pay to do nothing. Remember, the airlines don't pay for security anymore - tax dollars do.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFGal
I feel so lucky. Haven't taken a flight in the last 27 days (which is a long break this year)
Mr. Gal and I are flying SFO-ATL redeye on Delta for a wedding -- in coach *sigh*
In reading the TSA website, I didn't see a laptop ban. Is this only for flights from the UK?

Any reports from domestic travelers on the security experience today?
Only liquids are banned in the U.S. for domestic flights. There is no specific ban on laptops, even in the U.K.. The U.K. is presently banning all carry-ons -- the U.S. is not (except, maybe, on flights to the U.K.).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
The TSA will turn away one person who does not comply or ALL persons who do not comply. They could care less because they lose nothing by barring individuals or groups from flying. You can't boycott an orginization that has no sales. If we refuse to fly then they will be happy to sit at an empty airport earning their pay to do nothing. Remember, the airlines don't pay for security anymore - tax dollars do.
Yes, but it will force the airlines (and those businesses that depend on the airlines) to push the government to life the restrictions, something I think will happen any way if the additional checked luggage is too burdensome and takes away too much from cargo revenue.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:41 am
Suspended

The appearance of the travelling public is going to start looking pretty bad as people show up with shaving cuts and really bad hair (from really bad hair products) to meetings. It's unfortunate that one small ignorant part of the human population is causing such a disruption for everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.