Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tjl
Sometimes, real life passengers do act against perceived hijackers:

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...TAR-HIJACK.xml

Seems that a flight from Jordan to Qatar had a man try to enter the cockpit, but was subdued by flight attendants and passengers. May or may not have been a hijack attempt (if it was, obviously not well planned or executed).

There was also an incident on a Southwest Airlines flight (pre-2001) where a passenger tried to get into the cockpit but was subdued and accidentally killed by other passengers.
Covered in Newstand. A lot of those flights also have the equivalent of FAMs.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: Starfleet Captains Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's hard enough to change minds in a more friendly environment like FT.
Tell me about it:

Having an option to use your miles other than having to get on an airplane or stay in a hotel (ie: Medallion Marketplace) a good thing or a bad thing?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG, GP
It is 'easy' to say "I'd do xyz.." but I'm solidly in the 'B' camp.

My dad always said to me; "Don't get into a fight. Do all you can to avoid it. Even run away if you have to. But if you MUST fight, then fight to kill." If I'm on a hijacked plane I wouldn't be waiting to see what the hijackers would do. I'd assume (correct or otherwise) that this was a dire, life threatening situation. On a plane, you're not running away. I'd be flighting.

I remember the first few flights I took post 9/11. I thought about exactly what I'd do and concluded I'd probably die trying to gouge out the eyes of any hijacker. I figured that if I could damage an eye or both others might finish the job. I also considered what kind of grip you'd need on a head to break someone's neck. It can't be as easy as it is in the movies I figured. These were the thoughts that ran through my head as I watched each passenger board. Call me crazy but that's the truth.

Everyone is built differently but I wouldn't go quietly, I'm fairly certain.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by janeway
Tell me about it:

Having an option to use your miles other than having to get on an airplane or stay in a hotel (ie: Medallion Marketplace) a good thing or a bad thing?
An off-topic thing.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boondoggie
The whole idea that "No one will have the courage to be the first" is pretty well disproven by the only case study in existence. The first hijacking in the post 9/11 world was United Flight 93, where the passengers who had heard what happened decided to take on the terrorists themselves.
There's also those who are travelling with a loved one and thus whose views on risk will be somewhat modified.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: Anything and everything I can sign up for. At least the ones I can get some benefit from.
Originally Posted by Capite
What if they only have those teeny single-serving wine bottles with screw-on tops?
Hit'em several times in rapid succession???

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:48 pm

Sharp pencils are a good idea, but how about this one. Use your plastic butter knife to cut off your seat belt and try to beat the .... out of them with the metal buckle. Then you can attack without getting too close to their box cutter.

The seat cushion for a shield was also a very good idea, but for real protection you can't beat an emergency exit door. If you can get a hold of one of those things, then you're the kindof guy that should be leading the charge up the aisle. You needed that extra leg room because you're at least 6'6," 250 lbs right?

Since the aisle is so narrow, everybody else will have to focus on ranged attacks. Find something hard to throw, like shoes, broken-off tray tables, ice cubes, maybe a rock hard sandwich. Even the ppl who wouldn't choose b can throw something from a short distance. Two hundred ppl pelting one or two guys could be very effective.

Now, before someone flames me, this was my best attempt at humor. In seriousness though, I agree that after 9/11 anyone who tries to highjack a plane in this country is going to be biting off more than they can chew. People aren't going to just sit there and let their planes fly into buildings any more.

Last edited by jimbiggs; Aug 10, 2006 at 11:55 pm
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimbiggs
Sharp pencils are a good idea, but how about this one. Use your plastic butter knife to cut off your seat belt and try to beat the .... out of them with the metal buckle. Then you can attack without getting too close to their box cutter.

The seat cushion for a shield was also a very good idea, but for real protection you can't beat an emergency exit door. If you can get a hold of one of those things, then you're the kindof guy that should be leading the charge up the aisle. You needed that extra leg room because you're at least 6'6," 250 lbs right?

Since the aisle is so narrow, everybody else will have to focus on ranged attacks. Find something hard to throw, like shoes, broken-off tray tables, ice cubes, maybe a rock hard sandwich. Even the ppl who wouldn't choose b can throw something from a short distance. Two hundred ppl pelting one or two guys could be very effective.

Now, before someone flames me, this was my best attempt at humor. In seriousness though, I agree that after 9/11 anyone who tries to highjack a plane in this country is going to be biting off more than they can chew. People aren't going to just sit there and let their planes fly into buildings any more.
Actually I was thinking that people should throw all the blankets on the plane. Sure a blanket isn't going to do any damage when it hits but the idea is to disrupt their use of their weapon. If you're hit with a bunch of blankets do you think you'll be stabbing someone until you get them off you? Meanwhile the biggest guy on board tackles the terrorist.

There's also plenty of purses on a plane. Think weight on a strap. That will outrange a knife.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
A very interesting thread, and it is nice to see it resurrected. Since the LHR threat was snuffed out by the UK police, and the new restrictions have gone into effect that will result in business travelers with clear-plastic bags as carry-ons and checked laptops, I suspect that pissed-off passengers will rise up and exercise their repressed fury on the would-be hijackers in a cruel and excessive manner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.