Search

Your Plane gets hi-jacked...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tjl
If the hijackers have gotten into the cockpit, or are likely to, then the assumption would have to be a suicide mission.
Not necessarily.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Unfortunately easier said than done, when it comes to changing minds. It's hard enough to change minds in a more friendly environment like FT. A would-be hijacker's thinking is unlikely to be anywhere as easily influenced.
Sadly true.

However, terrorism works because even one terrorism appeasment has been awarded. That must come to an end if we are to go forward.

Terrorism will only stop when it is ingrained into the mind of every person on the planet that such acts are reprehensible and that their neighbors are likely tear them apart for participation in such actions.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by tjl
If the hijackers have gotten into the cockpit, or are likely to, then the assumption would have to be a suicide mission.

Wouldn't aircrews have prearranged hijack responses? I.e. pilots would immediately announce "severe turbulence" and turn on the seat belt sign. If the hijackers don't sit down with their seat belts on, they can be bounced around the cabin (by the artificial "turbulence") until they are unconscious or dead; if they do, they cannot control or threaten the passengers, and the "turbulence" can continue until the plane is landing at a remote airfield where police etc. will be waiting.
While I like this theory, wouldnt someone with a bomb or even a gun be a "bounce risk"
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by jpatokal
A, of course. As B747-437B said, most all hijacks aren't 9/11-style suicide attacks. And even on the odd chance that this one is, I'm happy to let other people take the risk of tackling the hijackers barehanded. If they succeed but get wounded/killed in the process, I'm better off that they are; if they succeed uninjured, I'm still as well off as they; and if they fail, we all die anyway.
You are, what we used to call in my Marine Corps days, a "Leafeater."

After 9/11, anyone who fails to act deserves to die. I for one, have no intention of going like a lamb to the slaughter.

That's one reason I always carry several well-sharpened pencils with me whenever I fly.

Never again.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by roadkit

After 9/11, anyone who fails to act deserves to die.
What's all this about "after 9/11"? I disagree, for "acts" of omission shouldn't result in a death penalty without a conviction -- before or after 9/11.

I for one, have no intention of going like a lamb to the slaughter.

That's one reason I always carry several well-sharpened pencils with me whenever I fly.

Never again.
Well and good.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

After 9/11, anyone who fails to act deserves to die. I for one, have no intention of going like a lamb to the slaughter.

Never again.
because someone doesnt act they deserve to die? wow ... that is a very strong statement . not everyone was or is in the marine corps that fly on a plane and a lot of peoples natural reaction in which they freeze with fear is nothing that they can consciously control.

i am currently reading a book called "waking the tiger" in which the author has researched hugely into the way us humans react in massively traumatizing events.

he likens the way many of us respond to the way animals respond in threatening and tramatizing circumstances..

fight or flee

like the impala running from the cheetah, when the impala resigns itself to death it freezes even before it is actually caught in hope that the cheetah will take more mercy with it, drag it to its den for the night and then the impala may have a chance to come out of this frozen state in which to escape while the cheetah is no longer watching it. this frozen state that the impala naturally puts itself in enables it not to feel the pain when the cheetah actually kills it.

it is written in each of our dna the way we will react in such traumatizing situations but i wouldnt condemn someone for not fighting against these people. they certainly dont deserve to die, they only wanted to fly from a to b without any of the hassle of hi-jacking
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:25 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Spiff
However, terrorism works because even one terrorism appeasment has been awarded. That must come to an end if we are to go forward.
It also works because terrorists hide among civilians (whom they take no responsibility for, unlike governments), usually guaranteeing that civilians get hurt when the terrorist's target responds with military force (or clamps down with heavy handed police tactics in the case of domestic terrorism). The result is that hatred is intensified, which helps terrorists gain support and recruits among civilians.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I would try to quietly organize a group to attack at the first opportunity. I don't believe my survival chances would be good either way. I would at least want to have some control of my destiny. Whatever it may be.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd call my office from my cell so they could notify the police. Not sure how much good that would do but that is what I think I would initially do.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by tjl
It also works because terrorists hide among civilians (whom they take no responsibility for, unlike governments), usually guaranteeing that civilians get hurt when the terrorist's target responds with military force (or clamps down with heavy handed police tactics in the case of domestic terrorism). The result is that hatred is intensified, which helps terrorists gain support and recruits among civilians.
Yes, there may be some casualties until terrorism is eradicated as I posted earlier.

As long as there is a policy of appeasement, terrorism will continue to have appeal.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tjl
That sounds like a contemporarily popular pop-"understanding" of terrorism. It sounds good but doesn't do much to help understand the causes or methods of terrorism; nor does it help much with ways to deal with the risks and consequences of terrorism (and terrorist acts). It certainly is part of the flag waved by governments & security forces (& apologists thereof ) that are desperate yet largely ineffective in the long-run by way of their counterterrorism & security approaches.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 8, 2006 at 2:47 pm
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by escog
...I really don't see hijacking of an airplane really being an option anymore. Nobody is going to believe that the plane is just being hijacked and rerouted to some other country....
I think this is right. Hijackers who do not intend to crash the plane would have to be idiots, at least in the USA. Those who do intend to crash the plane are in for a battle royale.

As mentioned above, passengers and crew would be in "fight to the death" mode, convinced that they have no other choice. It is almost certain that the pilots would trigger the alarm, and very quickly a fighter pilot would have the plane locked in on radar, ready to pull the trigger if it gets close to a target.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:44 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Without a doubt (A).

9/11 was an anomaly. A vast majority of passenger aircraft hijacks both pre- and post-9/11 have ended peacefully when all passengers and crew co-operated the hijackers demands and a resolution was reached without any bloodshed.

Vigilante action by passengers who mean well but who are acting purely out of instinct rather than as the result of training or planning simply serves to escalate the situation and is more likely to result in a tragic ending for all concerned.
Sorry... prior to 9/11 we had not had Hijackers fly airplanes into buildings.

And if my memory serves me, there has not been a US Flaged airplane hijacked since that day.

The rules have changed.... as I said earlier; either me or the would be hijacker will die that day.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL GM
What would I do? Hard to predict- maybe panic, maybe freeze, maybe see things very clearly and act.

What I like to think I'd do? Size up the situation, remember what I learned in self-defense classes, try to use the fact that I'm thin, middle-aged and harmless-looking to my advantage, and act.

I'm a mean old broad with a temper who's already outlived a lot of people I loved. If I'm not ready to take a risk in such a situation, what good am I?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhuey
I think this is right. Hijackers who do not intend to crash the plane would have to be idiots, at least in the USA. Those who do intend to crash the plane are in for a battle royale.

As mentioned above, passengers and crew would be in "fight to the death" mode, convinced that they have no other choice. It is almost certain that the pilots would trigger the alarm, and very quickly a fighter pilot would have the plane locked in on radar, ready to pull the trigger if it gets close to a target.
Suicidal hijackers of the more "competent" variety are still going to be able to pull off that which they want to pull off. All that they need to do is compress their time frame and adjust methods a bit and they could still achieve more or less the same result. Whether such "competent" suicidal hijackers currently exist with a thorough enough understanding to achieve such results is another matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.