FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you call that poor rube at the luggage carousel... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/583989-what-do-you-call-poor-rube-luggage-carousel.html)

Confederate Hokie Sep 5, 2006 10:30 pm

Attached to each suitcase and my briefcase:

1 - Flyer Talk Tag :p
2 - Laminated, 2 sided business card attached with a zip tie ^
3 - 3 stripes of color coded electrical tape on each handle, with 3 set colors in a certain order. ^

I seldom ever have any trouble spotting my bags. I usually stand a couple of feet back so the GOTTA GET MY BAG NOW BEFORE SOMEONE STEALS IT people :D can get up front. Once I see my bag coming, I can usually get in a spot to pick it up long before it acually gets to me.

Safe travels

Tim

Single Malt Sep 6, 2006 2:19 am

I usually stand back and watch the bags come down the chute. When I see mine, I step up next to the carousel clown who staked out the best position and ask "Do you think you can lift that green one for me?" I rarely have someone say no. The same type A personality that pushes them to be first in line also makes them want to demonstrate their physical prowess to a group of strangers.

rbrenton88 Sep 6, 2006 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
That person is not as bad as the person who sees a "black bag" grabs it and walks off... only to realise that it's not their bag when they get to the hotel.

I'd prefer a "Carousel Monkey" than the person I describe above

This happened to me recently. After over an hour past customs, I was alone with a large black that was similar to mine from a distance, but was clearly missing my telescopic handle and bright yellow address tags. Around it went, and each time I had to do a carousel monkey on it just to be sure.
I guessed thatsomebody else picked up my bag, and I showed their bag to the desk and tried to explain what probably had happened, but the language barrier made that futile.
Unfortunately, my dress clothes for a first-time meeting with a client was gone, with the meeting due to happen the next day. I did manage to buy a new dress shirt but was balking at new suit/shoes/belt etc. Imagine a 6' 225lb guy trying to buy off the rack in Hanoi.

Thankfully the other guy noticed the error and contacted the airline. But I was amazed that the guy demanded that the airline drive around the city and do the switching themselves.

BNA_flyer Sep 6, 2006 11:29 am

I seldom check, but after wearing out a wheel on a cheap black Costco rollaboard, I went back to Costco and swapped it out (thank you Costco for the lifetime warranty!) for another cheap Costco rollaboard, but in tan with black trim (they also had, in addition to basic black, a tan with red trim, and a sort-of powder blue). Now, with the more-distinctive color and the FlyerTalk tag, plus another tag in dayglo orange plastic, I never have any problems. My wife used an absolutely filthy tan Hartmann rollaboard for about eight years until it finally gave out; we figured it would never get stolen because no one would want to touch it (kept her clothes clean on the inside, though).

My approach at the carousel is to stand not closest to the entry point of the luggage, nor right in the scrum at the edge of the belt, but at the closest point to the door through which I'm going to carry/roll my bag after I pick it up. That way I wind up getting out of the crowd and to my car just a little faster. If anyone should try to grab my bag, I can intercept them, though it's never actually happened.

lg10 Sep 6, 2006 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by BNA_flyer
My approach at the carousel is to stand not closest to the entry point of the luggage, nor right in the scrum at the edge of the belt, but at the closest point to the door through which I'm going to carry/roll my bag after I pick it up. That way I wind up getting out of the crowd and to my car just a little faster. If anyone should try to grab my bag, I can intercept them, though it's never actually happened.

Good idea. It's a bit similar to how my DH parks in supermarkets, close
to the cart return. I never thought of doing it at the luggage carousel, but
now I will.

--LG

robb Sep 6, 2006 7:01 pm

I was recently a carousel monkey.

I normally travel with soft-sided luggage. I'm tall, so it's miserable to stoop over and drag a rollaboard around. A duffel-type bag is so easy to slip over my shoulder and go. (Red - Type 25 in case it's ever delayed. ;) )

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I had a one-day trip. Of course, I had to check luggage because of these stupid security restrictions. With just one day's clothes and a Dopp kit, it was too little to fill the duffel, so I had to borrow my partner's rollaboard.

Every damned one of these things look alike. I cannot imagine what everyone's fasicnation is with carrying identical looking black bags, but absolutely I had to check the tags on every one that went by hoping I'd find mine. I swear I think it went by 3 or 4 times before I finally found it. Never again.

(separate rant) The other thing that's so ridiculous about these things is that they take up about the same amount of space as my bag, but they hardly hold anything at all. My one day's clothes, shoes, and toiletries pretty much loaded the thing up. What a waste.

Another recent trip, there was a woman next to me who was desperately pawing at a bag as it slipped away from her. I helped her and grabbed the bag off the belt only to have her look at me like I was crazy for trying to give her the bag since it clearly wasn't hers. Never again. :)

I do sometimes lightly paw at bags just to see the flight number to know if my flight is the one being unloaded at that time. That's one possible excuse for people who check bags of varying descriptions.

boondoggie Sep 6, 2006 8:16 pm

I use a bright green cable tie on my plain black bag -- it's often the only way I recognize it.

On one of the few times I've checked bags I saw a woman walking out the door with my bag at DFW. I caught up to her and said "I don't think my clothes are going to fit you."

WonderDude Sep 26, 2006 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by robb
...there was a woman next to me who was desperately pawing at a bag as it slipped away from her. I helped her and grabbed the bag off the belt only to have her look at me like I was crazy for trying to give her the bag since it clearly wasn't hers. Never again. :)

I've had this happen to me, as well.