FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you call that poor rube at the luggage carousel... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/583989-what-do-you-call-poor-rube-luggage-carousel.html)

gary_nj Jul 29, 2006 4:00 pm

For those who fly often to/from Bangkok and Hong Kong, you are aware of the "security" stickers that can quickly accumulate on luggage. My bag probably has fifteen of them (and it is not even black to begin with)! But I still find my luggage being inspected while it makes its way along the conveyor belt to where I am standing. I could never rationalize hanging one of those green tags or red ribbons on my bag if all the stickers were not enough to make it obvious... I think folks are going to do that regardless of the various adornments on a piece of luggage.

jimbo99 Jul 29, 2006 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
I hope you're not one of the carousel bullies that I don't like. You know the ones that stand right up next to the edge of the carousel, block the view of others behind them, and don't allow room for anyone else to squeeze in to pick up their bag when they actually spot it?

No.... of course not! I stand opposite, but leave good a few feet between where I stand and the edge. That way others can dive in and get their bags with plenty of "swing".

As you say, what's really annoying is having left a bit of space, someone will try and squeeze in front of me or to either side. That way everybody's blocked in so that when they grab their bag they've got nowhere to put it except on other people's toes.

entilzhaFT Jul 30, 2006 12:33 am

Originally Posted by huts
I tend to agree with the previous suggestion of "idiots". Recently I saw a guy pick up every second bag that went past and inspect it before putting it back until he finally located his bag. The strange thing was that he picked up bags of many different colours and descriptions, it wasn't like he picked up a bunch of bags that actually looked similar.

I usually use a smallish Tumi suitcase which is the ubiquitous black in colour, but which has a Qantas platinum luggage tag (not all that common at IAH and SFO, which is where I'm usually picking it up), and another bright green tag that says "You're not my owner!", and therefore shouldn't be too hard to identify as "not mine" for everyone who isn't me. I recently had to grab it out of the hands of someone who looked perilously close to walking off with it (unfortunately it happened on one of those days when I just wasn't in the mood for any inconveniences, so I handled the situation with less grace than I probably should have).

Wow. I think *I*'ve seen that bag. Way to distinguish! The "This is not your bag" is becoming more popular, but the Qantas tag isn't. ^ The (insert what we choose to call them here) tend to stay away from my bags ever since I put two FT tags on each one.

For the term, I prefer "idiots," but not in a blanket way. Someone innocently examining to see if a bag which looks extremely similar to theirs is in a much different category than the character quoted above looking at all sorts of bags. I hope he was doing luggage research for his next purchase.

alanh Jul 30, 2006 4:00 am

I've actually seen several bags with tape or paint reading THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG.

Internaut Jul 30, 2006 7:43 am

All bags look the same to me, apart from my bags. The small Tumi I use for shorter/European trips is distinctive. My bigger M&S bag for longer trips looks anything but distinctive and very much like the type of wheeled case that any tourist would have. However, it is blessed with very distinctive silver coloured wheels so I never have any problems spotting it.

The one thing I always do is is check the name tag; just in case :).

aSiAnRiCk Jul 30, 2006 9:11 am

A bright color ribbon should be sufficient to help me identify my bag.

I also put a luggage strap on mine. Beside serving its purpose, it also helps me identify which bag is mine.

BLI-Flyer Jul 30, 2006 9:13 am

Originally Posted by alanh
I've actually seen several bags with tape or paint reading THIS IS NOT YOUR BAG.

I have a piece of bright orange tape wrapped around one of the handles with my name in big letters on it, and a bright orange luggage strap around the bag. People still pick it up and look to see if it's theirs.

FlyingOnceMore Jul 30, 2006 9:25 am

I don't often have luggage in the hold, but when I do, mostly camping gear, I never a problem identifying it. Invested in one of these. Only once in over five years have I ever seen another one on the same carousel.

Globaliser Jul 30, 2006 10:06 am

Originally Posted by liquid
How do you not recognize your own bag?

Don't forget that some of these people are actually looking for their travelling companions' bags, which may not be as immediately familiar to them as their own. I can spot my own bag from 20 paces (and frequently do), but if I'm flying with my partner, I'm looking at all the tags to see if it's the bag I need to pull.

ND Sol Jul 30, 2006 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by jimbo99
No.... of course not! I stand opposite, but leave good a few feet between where I stand and the edge. That way others can dive in and get their bags with plenty of "swing".

As you say, what's really annoying is having left a bit of space, someone will try and squeeze in front of me or to either side. That way everybody's blocked in so that when they grab their bag they've got nowhere to put it except on other people's toes.

Yes, the "halo" rule from football should be put in place at the carousel. Stand two yards away until your bag is present.

Nachtswerg Jul 30, 2006 9:06 pm

Since I have a lamenating machine, I tend to make new tags when my daughter, wife, and I travel together. What we do is go to the dollar store, let my daughter pick out some cheapo card or post cards, then cut them to fit the luggage tag sleeve. Once sealed, they make a nice distinct tag.

As for carousel monkeys, I love it when all the folks stand in front of the belt like some soft of human picket fence. I tend to grab either a couch or a column, then watch the chutes. When my bag pops out, then I jockey for an open spot, grab my bag, return to the family to deposit said bag, then look for the next bag. I don't mind carts, as long as you leave them away from the belt.

GoingAway Jul 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Nachtswerg
As for carousel monkeys, I love it when all the folks stand in front of the belt like some soft of human picket fence. I tend to grab either a couch or a column, then watch the chutes. When my bag pops out, then I jockey for an open spot, grab my bag, return to the family to deposit said bag, then look for the next bag. I don't mind carts, as long as you leave them away from the belt.

Actually folks doing this are often rude, pushy and manage to almost hit the folks around them (and sometimes are quite successful). If you want to sit back and wait, go for it but do it where there is an open space for you to view and access the belt when you want to without pushing 2-3 layers of people out of your way first. If you're so cool to sit back and wait, why stay near where the "hoards" are? Why not go to the back end of the belt and wait there? :rolleyes:

PanAm916 Jul 30, 2006 11:52 pm

I got tired of people trying to wander off with my black roller bag and replaced it... no one has pawed at my new orange bags since I started using them. ;)

I also hate when I'm standing near the carosel and someone feels compelled to squeeze in front of you into the 10in of space you left.

BUR has a hiddeous luggage claim area. Plus they are slow and it tends to back up.

KSAN Jul 31, 2006 8:27 am

Funny thread!

This is cracking me up. The people watching part of baggage claim would be so much more entertaining if most of us weren't tired from the flight. I rarely venture to the baggage claim since I carry on for 99% of my flights but when travelling with friends/colleagues who aren't frequent fliers we invariably have to go get their checked baggage. I too really hate it when there are little children running around my ankles wound up from sitting on a long flight and people are tripping over them as they frolic around the carousel (as their parents watch or even don't watch, oblivious to the dirty looks.) I once had a man grab my bag and start to take off but luckily I had sighted it coming around and ran after him and stopped him.

Nachtswerg Jul 31, 2006 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Why not go to the back end of the belt and wait there? :rolleyes:

Truthfully, that's exactly where I head when I see my bag come out of the chute. Most people stand away from the inlet, so it tends to be clear.