FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you call that poor rube at the luggage carousel... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/583989-what-do-you-call-poor-rube-luggage-carousel.html)

WonderDude Jul 28, 2006 1:44 am

What do you call that poor rube at the luggage carousel...

...who tugs and grapples at every dang black bag that passes in front of him or her?

For some reason, I've noticed this phenomenon more and more lately. You know the type: usually just one bumpkin per flight who hurriedly pounces on each bag, pulls it up, examines the tags n' stuff, then lays it back down on the belt. Over and over again. I just wanna slap 'em!

After a bit of contemplation, I've come up with a name for them: Carousel Monkey.

Anybody got a better name?

(I did search FT to see if anyone else has discussed anything like this yet, but I didn't find any posts)

SLC-YYZ Jul 28, 2006 2:16 am

Luggage Lout - esp. when he acts all offended when you politely (really) point out he has your bag.

liquid Jul 28, 2006 3:47 am

I have noticed this happening far more in Asia. How do you not recognize your own bag? Many look similar, true, but still. Your bag is clown nose red canvas and they poke around looking at the tags of a brown leather bag. I don't get it.

Aus_Mal Jul 28, 2006 4:43 am

That person is not as bad as the person who sees a "black bag" grabs it and walks off... only to realise that it's not their bag when they get to the hotel.

I'd prefer a "Carousel Monkey" than the person I describe above

swag Jul 28, 2006 6:26 am

"Claim jumper"

IAHflyer Jul 28, 2006 6:50 am

Originally Posted by liquid
How do you not recognize your own bag?

3 Words: Short Term Memory ;)

That said, I actually wouldn't put this type of behaviour, myabe not as extreme, past some of my best friends and family... :cool:
If you travel very rarely I guess you wouldn't necessarily know your own suitcase that intimately. Although you would expect them to remeber it was polka-dot-pink and not 13-to-a-dozen black.

Lineman Jul 28, 2006 7:07 am

I hated seeing those people who do that, and when I had a black bag I would always pick up one or two bags before I actually picked up mine.

That is why I now buy uncommon colors for my baggage. I don't care what it looks like, I just want to be able to see it as soon as possible and not make any mistakes. Green and orange are the colors I have now for bags and I haven't seen anyone pick them up on the baggage carousel.

fromYYZ_flyer Jul 28, 2006 8:35 am

3 words: Flyer Talk Tag

Locates it every time!

jimbo99 Jul 28, 2006 9:40 am

I always try and get to the carousel quickly before they come out, and then stand by the chute.

I've always hated the fact that generally:

1) there is no security to stop someone walking off with your bag (either by accident or design)
2) that if stuff does get lost or damaged, the compensation is so small

This just encourages people to carry too much hand luggage which isn't good for anyone.

A couple of years ago, my mother couldn't see her bag at London Gatwick. Eventually she made a report and went home. Only to get a phone call from someone who had taken hers by mistake. It was an old lady. Her son then drove through the night to my mother's house to return it. The old lady was completely distraught - it was an honest mistake but the poor woman felt she has become a thief. On top of all that they then had to return to the airport to try and find her baggage.

bitburgr Jul 28, 2006 11:04 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99
1) there is no security to stop someone walking off with your bag (either by accident or design)

You should come to Philadelphia some time. At baggage claim (at least for US), the only security is for your suitcase that arrived on the stand-by flight you were trying to get but weren't allowed because you checked your luggage :confused:

Anyway, back to the OP...I like to call these people tourists.

sc flier Jul 28, 2006 11:54 am

Originally Posted by jimbo99
I always try and get to the carousel quickly before they come out, and then stand by the chute.

I hope you're not one of the carousel bullies that I don't like. You know the ones that stand right up next to the edge of the carousel, block the view of others behind them, and don't allow room for anyone else to squeeze in to pick up their bag when they actually spot it?

Honestly, I wish everyone would just approach the carousel when they finally see their bag.

My large bag is royal blue with silver wheels. My rollaboard is a dark green that has faded so that it matches no one else's bag. I haven't bought a black bag since 1997.

LemonThrower Jul 28, 2006 1:26 pm

I just think of them as "infreqent travelers" and try not to be condescending by calling them a rube or a monkey. Also, consider that since their job requires them to travel less than you, they might be your boss or your client.

22wingit Jul 28, 2006 1:31 pm

A tag-flipper. They see a tag and feel COMPELLED to read it before it gets away.

The ones I find to be a greater PITA are the people who MUST stand with their shins directly up against the carousel bumper, even when their bag is nowhere in sight. I'm strong enough to get my bag off the carousel without help, but I'm short, so I've got to give it a good jerk in order to clear that bumper. I politely ask people to stand back, but they usually ignore me, so sometimes I just end up belting 'em with the bag.

People who let small children stand up against the bumper deserve a special place in h***. Have your kids sit on the floor about 10 feet back, or strap them in a buggy, or something, but keep them away from that bumper! Not only it is annoying to trip over them, but it is very dangerous for the children.
Mine know that Mom will come down on them like a ton of bricks if they venture too close.

bumpme Jul 28, 2006 1:32 pm

This is FT. carousel monkey is too benign; you have to call them carousel lice

GoingAway Jul 28, 2006 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
Honestly, I wish everyone would just approach the carousel when they finally see their bag.

Kind of like how people "are supposed" to approach the gate when their seating area number is called to board their flights? :p Its just not going to happen in this lifetime.