FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What do you call that poor rube at the luggage carousel... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/583989-what-do-you-call-poor-rube-luggage-carousel.html)

redbeard911 Jul 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Even before I had FT tags on all my bags, I was easily able to identify my Costco black bag.

Lehava Jul 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Lets stop being so PC...the correct term is IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I agree on the kid thing, there is NO reason children should be anywhere near the baggage claim device, sorry to the "my children must experience everything in the world" parents but it is just rude to everyone else.

Sancha Jul 28, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm the opposite of a claim jumper. I've stood at the carousel (at a respectful distance of course), watching my bag go 'round and 'round, until 20 minutes later the message sinks into my jet-lagged brain, "hey, dork, that's your bag."

Am I the only one? :)

volrichard Jul 28, 2006 3:07 pm

How about a 'Samsonite Stroker'. Perhaps he needs some therapy.

Of course, he's probably lucky he doesn't get trampled by the mad rush of people to stand next to the carousel, as opposed to standing at a distance and walking up and getting your bag when you see it. I would hate to have to hipcheck granny, but I will.

Bonehead Jul 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
I hope you're not one of the carousel bullies that I don't like. You know the ones that stand right up next to the edge of the carousel, block the view of others behind them, and don't allow room for anyone else to squeeze in to pick up their bag when they actually spot it?

Great point. I hang back, spot my bag, and woe be it to those "Carousel Bullies" in my way...I hope that a few of them have learned not to be such space hogs.

Palal Jul 28, 2006 3:35 pm

Same here... I stand 2-3 feet back from the carousel. If there are people lined up against the carousel when I have to take off my bag and the bag hits them, TOO BAD! :D. As for kids, I try to make sure there are none around.

Owlchick Jul 28, 2006 4:02 pm

I've been to a couple of conventions with my coworkers and we all have identical carry on bags that our company gave to us a couple of years ago (black with our logo on them).

Mine have a pair of hot pink crocheted slippers (bought at a craft fair in Hawaii -- unfortunately, I can only crochet bananas) dangling from the handle. None of the guys I work with have ever mistaken mine for theirs :)

huts Jul 28, 2006 5:00 pm

I tend to agree with the previous suggestion of "idiots". Recently I saw a guy pick up every second bag that went past and inspect it before putting it back until he finally located his bag. The strange thing was that he picked up bags of many different colours and descriptions, it wasn't like he picked up a bunch of bags that actually looked similar.

I usually use a smallish Tumi suitcase which is the ubiquitous black in colour, but which has a Qantas platinum luggage tag (not all that common at IAH and SFO, which is where I'm usually picking it up), and another bright green tag that says "You're not my owner!", and therefore shouldn't be too hard to identify as "not mine" for everyone who isn't me. I recently had to grab it out of the hands of someone who looked perilously close to walking off with it (unfortunately it happened on one of those days when I just wasn't in the mood for any inconveniences, so I handled the situation with less grace than I probably should have).

silverthief2 Jul 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by WonderDude
Anybody got a better name?

My father. :p

He is pretty paranoid that someone else is going to walk off with his luggage if he doesn't get it off the carousel ASAP. For my first solo plane trip at the age of 16, he got the biggest permanent marker he could find and wrote our last name in 3-inch high letters on all four sides of my bag "to make sure no one thinks it's theirs." Fortunately, I have since replaced that bag. :D

WRCSolberg Jul 28, 2006 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by 22wingit
The ones I find to be a greater PITA are the people who MUST stand with their shins directly up against the carousel bumper, even when their bag is nowhere in sight. I'm strong enough to get my bag off the carousel without help, but I'm short, so I've got to give it a good jerk in order to clear that bumper. I politely ask people to stand back, but they usually ignore me, so sometimes I just end up belting 'em with the bag.

Or better yet, when you're standing a few steps away from the carousel in order to keep from doing exactly what you describe, and someone comes up, usually with a baggage cart, and stands right in front of you. Worse yet, I find my usual tolerance for this kind of crap extremely lacking after a 14+ hour flight.

Dave8481 Jul 29, 2006 12:43 am

I have just tied colored ribbons onto all handles of my suitcases and my wife's suitcases...I actually noticed some other person back in June who had done the same thing, but this has made for easy and quick identification especially for my wife when she is travelling alone.

One time last year while I was getting the rental car I watched my wife almost kill some poor soul with one of our suitcases because the guy just had to be leaning over the luggage carousel like he would miss his bag and would not move and basically made it impossible not to hit him although with my wife I wouldn't bet against it not being just an accident :)

schwarm Jul 29, 2006 10:16 am

Originally Posted by swag
"Claim jumper"

I've been trying to think of a better one than this for a while, and I can't.

capelynn Jul 29, 2006 10:38 am

Luggage straps

My husband and I use rainbow colored luggage straps to make our bags stand out. Very seldom do we see another bag that looks like ours.

There is a company that makes personalized luggage straps and I have thought about ordering one that says "Nacho Bag" or "Hands off my bag". Something like that. I wasn't sure I really wanted my name on the strap.

Years ago we marked our bags with duct tape. My mother puts a large yarn pompom on her bag. I am surprised that more people don't mark their bags uniquely (or at least distinctively) to avoid such confusion.

gregmchicago Jul 29, 2006 11:59 am

Originally Posted by huts
I tend to agree with the previous suggestion of "idiots". Recently I saw a guy pick up every second bag that went past and inspect it before putting it back until he finally located his bag. The strange thing was that he picked up bags of many different colours and descriptions, it wasn't like he picked up a bunch of bags that actually looked similar.

I'd be inclined to think this person was trying to decide which bag was most worth stealing.

WonderDude Jul 29, 2006 12:15 pm

I actually like claim jumper, but this term immediately makes me think of the guy who kicks back and grabs a coffee waiting for the luggage to start coming out of the chute. When the bags arrive, he then pushes his way through the folks bunched up at "the good spot" (the chute opening), saying "excuse me, that's my bag," etc. while a perfectly good open location on the conveyor belt is available about 30 feet down the line.

[flame retardant suit on]