Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upper Deck vs Main Deck

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Thanks guys for the info. Seems like UD choices outnumber lower deck.....

So which upper deck seat is best for space for a window seat?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by russmeyergirl
Absolutely, positively upper deck. However, avoid the last row as close to the FAs and that is heightened by the smallness of the cabin.
This is really dependent on the airline you fly. There are many people on BA who swear by the last row in UD business class. This is because the window seats face backwards, which allows easy access and on the side opposite the stairs, great privacy.

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Thanks guys for the info. Seems like UD choices outnumber lower deck.....

So which upper deck seat is best for space for a window seat?
Again, this is really dependent on the airline and how it configures the seats. Which airline are you planning to fly?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Planning to fly Malaysia Airlines MH

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
This is really dependent on the airline you fly. There are many people on BA who swear by the last row in UD business class. This is because the window seats face backwards, which allows easy access and on the side opposite the stairs, great privacy.

Again, this is really dependent on the airline and how it configures the seats. Which airline are you planning to fly?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 8:21 am
Original Poster

hi,

i'll be flying MH. Have you flown them before?

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
This is really dependent on the airline you
fly. There are many people on BA who swear by the last row in UD business class. This is because the window seats face backwards, which allows easy access and on the side opposite the stairs, great privacy.

Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

I am about to book my tickets

SYD->KUL->LHR return.

Should i go to maindeck on one of the legs?

They are all on 747-400 except the KUL->SYD leg.

Cheers,
Kenn.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:50 pm

I have not flown LD in years on 744 so I really do not know how to compare present situation. Also, I am almost always on UA metal so my comments relate to preceeding disclosures.

I love the UD and design my trave around the avaibility of select seats in the UD, ie, if seats in the exit row (UA row 15) I seek to alter the itn, change dates, etc. Of course, this is not rational behavior as the idea is just to get from point A to point B right? But of course, I was transferred to my present post in Texas...and I did not resign. Kind of revealing, yes?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:53 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Honestly,

I wonder sometimes why I bother!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I am thinking to mix it up. LD on one leg and UD on other legs etc. But its nearly impossible to get exit row for UD on MH. In fact just checked and its already booked. So not sure which is the next best?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:17 am

My experience:

UD PROS:
- Storage bins beside the window seats.

UD CONS:
- "Small and cosy"? Yup... small allright. But not like "leather seat in a private jet"-small but rather "cramped commuter prop"-small.

Worst experience in UD:
Starting to taxi to runway, when pax in front row had to use his barf bag big time. When that smell started to spread, you're no longer happy about the 'small space'...

Put me on the LD team - leaving more seats for all you UD fans

/Mike
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I might try UD on one or 2 legs and see if i like it. Did you fly MH?

So you mean lower deck you feel it has better legroom?

Regards,
Kenn.

Originally Posted by FreqTrekker
My experience:

UD PROS:
- Storage bins beside the window seats.

UD CONS:
- "Small and cosy"? Yup... small allright. But not like "leather seat in a private jet"-small but rather "cramped commuter prop"-small.

Worst experience in UD:
Starting to taxi to runway, when pax in front row had to use his barf bag big time. When that smell started to spread, you're no longer happy about the 'small space'...

Put me on the LD team - leaving more seats for all you UD fans

/Mike
Old Aug 4, 2006, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I might try UD on one or 2 legs and see if i like it. Did you fly MH?

So you mean lower deck you feel it has better legroom?

Regards,
Kenn.
Hi Kenn,

I usually fly SQ - never (yet) tried MH.

Nothing wrong with the legroom as such actually (I'm not very tall), it was just my overall feel of the cabin.

And the times I have been on UD on SQ, the FAs were almost invisible (which on SQ flights is a disappointment on so many levels... )

/Mike
Old Aug 4, 2006, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi Mike,

From reports i have been getting on UD, you actually get more service from FA's as the passenger to FA ratio is better... i guess it depends on the day...
Do you get more than 2 FA's on the uD?

Hi Kenn,

I usually fly SQ - never (yet) tried MH.

Nothing wrong with the legroom as such actually (I'm not very tall), it was just my overall feel of the cabin.

And the times I have been on UD on SQ, the FAs were almost invisible (which on SQ flights is a disappointment on so many levels... )

/Mike
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:01 pm

Yeah, maybe it was just bad luck the times I tried the UD. I don't know how many FAs are supposed to be in UD. Just know I always feel neglected

Once I was on LD on SQ SYD-SIN and we were only 4 pax in business class. Nothing can beat that FA/Pax ratio

Actually, the UD/LD question often comes up when I'm selecting a seat at the check-in counter in the airport and all the check-in assistants I've met prefer LD themselves.

But it's a good idea if you try a little of both and see what you prefer. As you can see from this thread we all have different preferences...

/Mike
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Hi Mike,

I have booked my tickets today

I varied my seats for the 4 legs like you said. I have only experienced LD so i am trying a couple of UD.

My itenary is as followsall window seats except 17H which is aisle).

SYD -> KUL 15:40 -> 20:50 in seat 6K (Upper Deck)

KUL -> LHR 11:15 -> 16:50 in seat 6k (Upper Deck)

LHR -> KUL 22:00 -> 18:30 in seat 17H (Main Deck) Choosing aisle as i will probably get sick of window by the end of this trip

KUL-> SYD 09:45 -> 20:45 in seat 1A (Main Deck only)

What do you think?

Cheers,
Kenn.

Yeah, maybe it was just bad luck the times I tried the UD. I don't know how many FAs are supposed to be in UD. Just know I always feel neglected

Once I was on LD on SQ SYD-SIN and we were only 4 pax in business class. Nothing can beat that FA/Pax ratio

Actually, the UD/LD question often comes up when I'm selecting a seat at the check-in counter in the airport and all the check-in assistants I've met prefer LD themselves.

But it's a good idea if you try a little of both and see what you prefer. As you can see from this thread we all have different preferences...

/Mike
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:10 am

Hi Kenn,

Sounds like a good plan
Give us your opinion when the trip is finished.

Have a great trip!

/Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.