Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upper Deck vs Main Deck

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by wharvey
Definitely the upper deck.... it is much quieter.... and you feel less confined... in my opinion.

Have never had a line to the bathrooms... and I feel you get more attentive service from the attendants.

William
Exactly why, given the choice, I would opt for the upper deck.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Better food in the same business class flight? I find it difficult to believe that those upstairs would be served inferior quality than those downstairs.
Somewhere along the line you missed the sly sarcasm... those of us who love the UD apparently live in constant fear that so many people will discover our "secret" that we try to fool newcomers

Kate
Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try upper deck. I had tried main deck near the nose before which was not bad. But since i have never tried UD i will give it a go and see what i think of it

ps. i will be flying Malaysia Airlines.
Only down side to this is, if i do get a old non refurbished C class aircraft i won't be able ot get away with the old F seats which are in the main cabin.....

I guess its worth the gamble?

Cheers,
Kenn.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Depends. Mostly upper deck, but if I have tight connection and/or expect flight to be almost full I will go for lower deck centre block aisle bulkhead. Easier to exit quickly, and middle seats downstairs are the last to be used in my experience.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kykate
Somewhere along the line you missed the sly sarcasm... those of us who love the UD apparently live in constant fear that so many people will discover our "secret" that we try to fool newcomers

Kate
Yes I am rather poor in detecting sarcasm as English isn't my first language.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Hi Kiwiflyer,

Thanks for the info. You mean UD passengers don't leave before th emain deck leaves?

Cheers,
Kenn.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Depends. Mostly upper deck, but if I have tight connection and/or expect flight to be almost full I will go for lower deck centre block aisle bulkhead. Easier to exit quickly, and middle seats downstairs are the last to be used in my experience.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Put me in the lower deck camp. The upper deck has a more cramped feeling to me. Plus, I usually travel with a (very legal sized) rollerboard, so I don;t like hoofing it upstairs and sticking it in the rear cubbyhole. Although some have esposed the benefits of the storage space on the side, it's useless if you are in aisle seat. I also find that air friction noise is higher upstairs. Finally, I have really never had a problem with lav lines on the main deck - most carriers have 4 lavs below, and at least one of them is typically very roomy.

All things considered, there isn't that much difference. If you have no larger carry-on, try the UD.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Thanks for the info. You mean UD passengers don't leave before th emain deck leaves?
In my experience most airlines will have a FA "block" the economy section downstairs while Business (and First) pax deplane from the upper and lower decks. IMO there's minimal time difference between UD and LD in exiting.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

I will try window seat upper deck if not available then i guess main deck
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Hi Kiwiflyer,

Cheers,
Kenn.
Depends on the airline.

On LH upper deck is first so yes they leave first. On most airlines upper deck is business, but another business zone on lower deck - these leave at same time but I can get out quicker from the appropriate seat lower deck (aisle on either bulkhead or last row depending on if door 1L or 2L likely to be used). Some airlines, eg SQ, will hold economy pax back so all business class (upper and lower deck) leaves first. Other airlines, eg UA, do not bother and can take a while to get out from upper deck.

Best seats on upper deck are the exit row, but note the windows are not as good here as other rows.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:53 pm

Empty or full flight: Upper Deck, for all the reasons stated above

Somewhere between empty and full: Lower deck. It is more likely that the LD will be less full compared to the UD, and I will get a center aisle with no one sitting in the middle, which means more space.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, *Wood Plat (Gold Lifetime)
UD for me. The UD (full disclosure here, my UD experience is only on UA) is just like a nice little community -- kind of like FT. In fact, 2/3 of UD on any given flight is most likely taken up by FT members.

I certainly don't like the delay in getting down out of the UD, but for the 12 - 16 hours before that it is the best thing going IMHO.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Hi Kiwiflyer,

I will be flying MH, not sure if you know their policy on this? Also why are the windows on the exit rows not as good?

Cheers,
K.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Depends on the airline.

On LH upper deck is first so yes they leave first. On most airlines upper deck is business, but another business zone on lower deck - these leave at same time but I can get out quicker from the appropriate seat lower deck (aisle on either bulkhead or last row depending on if door 1L or 2L likely to be used). Some airlines, eg SQ, will hold economy pax back so all business class (upper and lower deck) leaves first. Other airlines, eg UA, do not bother and can take a while to get out from upper deck.

Best seats on upper deck are the exit row, but note the windows are not as good here as other rows.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I haven't flown MH upper deck so can't comment specifically on that. However most times I've flown the exit row upper deck (number of airlines) the seat by the window is behind the seat.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Absolutely, positively upper deck. However, avoid the last row as close to the FAs and that is heightened by the smallness of the cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.