Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When personal experience tells you a magazines's Top 100 hotel is NOT!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:08 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I always enjoy reading magazine's TOP 100 lists especially if I have stayed in one or two of them and had some personal experience. But I wonder sometimes what guides these lists and their choices besides out-dated information or client favoritism.

Travel and Leisure just listed their TOP 100. They rated a small hotel in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, The Casa Sierra Nevada as one of the Top Latin American Hotels (all be it #25 out of 25....but that is ALL hotels in Latin America) as one of the best. I have been going to this town for 15 years and have watched this very popular and beautiful hotel go down the drain from poor customer service, frumpy out-dated rooms, bad food, and confusing transitions from one owner to the next. Just read Tripadvisor and you will see what I mean. There are other better choices in town and the well-informed visitor knows this. How come Travel and Leisure doesn't.

What other hotels have you been surprised with that made a TOP 100 list and you know it should not have.....
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
The writing staff working at these magazines are usually ditzy right-out-of-college undergrads who will take any accomodation that is not a stained futon in a hostel as luxury and cuisine that is not ramen eaten with stolen silverware as gourmet.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I would be highly critical of the information communicated in these "Top 10/50/100 Brands" listings that are commonplace in magazines and websites. Unless there is a reasonably transparent methodology displayed for determining rank (for example, the voting process for the Flyertalk Freddies awards), one cannot be too confident of the lack of bias.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ritz Carlton Singapore has - in my experience - been another classic example of award winning mediocrity.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:45 am
Community Director Emerita

Sopa Serengeti, Tanzania - I was stunned when I saw this on the list a year or two ago as it is a dreadful property.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:23 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
[QUOTE=Swanhunter]Ritz Carlton Singapore has - in my experience - been another classic example of award winning mediocrity.[/QUOTE

Funny, when I read the thread title, the RC Singapore popped in my head first as well. I stayed there two years ago. At the time, they did not honor my early check in request and I had to wait almost two hours in the lounge. I found the room fairly tired out and only the bathroom as impressive as described, though it didn't have the upgraded bath amenities described when I reserved the room.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by david4455
I always enjoy reading magazine's TOP 100 lists especially if I have stayed in one or two of them and had some personal experience. But I wonder sometimes what guides these lists and their choices besides out-dated information or client favoritism.

Travel and Leisure just listed their TOP 100. They rated a small hotel in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, The Casa Sierra Nevada as one of the Top Latin American Hotels (all be it #25 out of 25....but that is ALL hotels in Latin America) as one of the best. I have been going to this town for 15 years and have watched this very popular and beautiful hotel go down the drain from poor customer service, frumpy out-dated rooms, bad food, and confusing transitions from one owner to the next. Just read Tripadvisor and you will see what I mean. There are other better choices in town and the well-informed visitor knows this. How come Travel and Leisure doesn't.

What other hotels have you been surprised with that made a TOP 100 list and you know it should not have.....
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this is very shocking for me. I am right now in Casa Sierra Nevada and it's an absolutely fantastic experience. It's Orient-Express now and it might have been bad in the past with out-dated rooms, but is this a out-dated room? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EJnicjwJk - I think it's special and unique. I haven't such suite many places in the world. They must have done renovation since you stayed there.

Service is great too. I don't trust Tripadvisor too much, but the last 50 reviews on TA has been 5/5 and in this case I must say it's all true.

This is the best value experience in all of North America. It's a very special experience for me. I have been nearly 300 hotels so far and haven't had an experience similar to this one yet.

Could be nice if anyone on Flyertalk have been to the hotel and would agree with me?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.