Check in procedures since 911 - Pittsburgh

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in procedures since 911 - Pittsburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by GloriaK
I used to fly US Air to Frankfurt and I don't remember a "People mover". Maybe I'm am just having memory problems.
If this was post 1992, you were either flying out of somewhere else, or the PSTD of flying through PIT has blocked that out of your permanent memory.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:30 am
Original Poster

thank you. You have all been very helpful. But let me rephrase the question one more time.

What is the most one could possibly get away with? I don't mean as a rule, but as an exception. I used to fly with my chief engineer, who was notorious for arriving at flights late. I can't imagine he has changed.
Can you cut to the front of the security line if you are late?
Can you beg and plead that they let you on. Will it ever work?

I am writing a humorous book about my business travels. Unfortunately, they occured in the 1990's and I want the book to take place in the present tense. I realize that flying ceased to be humorous after 911, but I can't believe people have changed that much.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Sorry, everyone... did what I could. It's become laughable.
If someone else feels like they can lay it out any more simply, knock yourself out. Don't get your hopes up though.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:05 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
No, wait... in retrospect...

Gloria, go back and read my post. The one where I laid out all the times from point a to b. Add up each of the times I outlined. Use your own head, mmmmmkay? It really is quite simple.

If you feel you can shave another few minutes from your travel time by begging or passing a few bucks to get to the front of the line, then fine. That's all friggin' hypothetical. You think we each have our own crystal ball? It may work.. it may not... who the hell knows? We can't tell you for sure, that's for sure. Take the info we've all given you and if you think you can perhaps beg your way to the front, extrapolate from there.

I'm done.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Nobody forced you to reply to my post. You could have just ignored it. I don't need to take abuse from you. I'll get my information elsewhere.

There's nothing I hate more than forum snobs.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:46 am

You've got an entire six posts on this board. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it... you came here for some information, which, by the way no matter how hard we try, we can't seem to satisfy you. You'll someday, somehow, by the grace of God and an additional miracle or two get the info you desire from us, never to be seen again. So, don't come on here callin' some of us snobs. Sista... you haven't been here long enough to call anyone a snob.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Sensitve sensitive.
All I was trying to do was get as much information from you people as I could. What the hell are you there for? I thought you might enjoy helping me. I guess I was wrong.

Yes, I only have six posts here. I'm not an expert. That's why I asked. What the Hell is the purpose of this forum?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:16 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Sensitve sensitive.
All I was trying to do was get as much information from you people as I could. What the hell are you there for? I thought you might enjoy helping me. I guess I was wrong.

Yes, I only have six posts here. I'm not an expert. That's why I asked. What the Hell is the purpose of this forum?
Relax!

Look, it's a forum for frequent flyer programs not a place to research for a book. A few posters were trying to help you, took the time to do so, yet you mock them! In hindsight, we also happen to be the ones flying a lot. So we sort of know what we are talking about. For the other poster, he itemized the time, yet you still question his answers like they're wrong? Remember that YOUR memory may be bad after not flying for 5 years. I forget minute details about airports after 6 months or after travelling to 20 airports whichever is first.

I have an answer for you. As for all the cuts, special treatments, the answer is no. You asked if it was possible to make it though in 10 min? Well I'll give you a very simple answer, "NO" not my experience ANYWHERE in the world in 1.1 Million butt in seat miles of which about 600k are in the past 5 years. I have NEVER made a flight with only 10 min, 30 yes, 10 no.

In the USA, Security has gotten so bad, so breaucratic, and so arcane, it takes a good 20 min to WAIT in line...and another 5 to pass. Check the Travel Safety forum you can see what type of crap goes on. *hint- FT has copyright on all posts* Another option is to buy a ticket and fly anywhere and experience it for yourself. You can see the difference from the past 6 years in 1 flight. As for your engineer friend who always ran late? Simply put, Either he has adjusted or he isn't flying anymore.

Good luck. I'd do more firsthand market research before writing a book about travelling.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Okay, I'm out of here. I've obviously come to the wrong place. I didn't mock anybody until they did it to me. I tried to be polite. Sorry to have inconvenienced you all. I won't be back.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by party_boy
I have an answer for you. As for all the cuts, special treatments, the answer is no. You asked if it was possible to make it though in 10 min? Well I'll give you a very simple answer, "NO" not my experience ANYWHERE in the world in 1.1 Million butt in seat miles of which about 600k are in the past 5 years. I have NEVER made a flight with only 10 min, 30 yes, 10 no.
There are only two instances where I can remember having made a flight after arriving at the airport 10 minutes before departure. One is whenever I fly on a private jet, and the second one is on the BOS-LGA scuttle. I haven't flown the scuttle in a while, so I don't know if things have changed, but even post 9-11 one could just walk up and buy a ticket, check-in and go through security in 10 minutes.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Pickles
There are only two instances where I can remember having made a flight after arriving at the airport 10 minutes before departure. One is whenever I fly on a private jet, and the second one is on the BOS-LGA scuttle. I haven't flown the scuttle in a while, so I don't know if things have changed, but even post 9-11 one could just walk up and buy a ticket, check-in and go through security in 10 minutes.
I'm curious, I don't know if you have to take security for a private jet....do you?
Never taken the BOS-LGA scuttle.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, I'm out of here. I've obviously come to the wrong place. I didn't mock anybody until they did it to me. I tried to be polite. Sorry to have inconvenienced you all. I won't be back.
Bye bye, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
thank you. You have all been very helpful. But let me rephrase the question one more time.

What is the most one could possibly get away with? I don't mean as a rule, but as an exception. I used to fly with my chief engineer, who was notorious for arriving at flights late. I can't imagine he has changed.
Can you cut to the front of the security line if you are late?
Can you beg and plead that they let you on. Will it ever work?

I am writing a humorous book about my business travels. Unfortunately, they occured in the 1990's and I want the book to take place in the present tense. I realize that flying ceased to be humorous after 911, but I can't believe people have changed that much.
Gloria-

I fly out of PIT every week and have been doing so for 15 years. Send me a Private Message and I'll help you out without nitpicking the details for no apparent reason.

FT is usually kind to newbies. Once you hit 100 posts, you're on your own....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.