Wiki Posts
Search

Jealous bosses

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Offer your boss your room for the one night he is there.
Exactly - he gets the good room for one night and you get it for the other 4.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 11:04 pm

Programs: US Chairmans, AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum
I had always found it strange that my boss pays almost no attention to FF and hotel frequent stayer programs as he is on the go even more than I am.

We have a travel agent who handles our bookings, and I am always booked into Y and stay at Hilton/Hyatt/Westin type places.

I am going on my first trip with the boss next month...and we are flying paid J and staying in a 4 Seasons...guess this explains the lack of interest in upgrades/FF status.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by jmplatinum
I didn't intentially piss him off. I just think it agitated him that I have better status than he does. This is not that big of deal. I will give Wyndham a chance and can pretty much tell you that he won't force me to do this again on the next trip.
Since you joined Wyndmam, you should get your complimetary snacks/beverage (which iirc could include a bottle of wine), other perks and possibly a better room than your boss. If I was you, I think I would enjoy my bottle of wine and perks quietly as I doubt the boss will go out of his way to join Wyndham ByRequest. It just seems to me that your boss has little interest in pursuing the benefits of FF programs.

Many people feel that way, that the perceived benefits are just not worth their time and effort, of course that first time flying in F and getting an executive floor suite might change one's mind, but all your responses here are from "a loose network of obsessives".
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:16 am

Programs: QF Gold, TG Silver, Hyatt Platinium, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I can't believe you are worrying so much about a small thing like what hotel chain you stay at!

You should spend the time focusing on your work and what you have to do at the location instead.

Your company should provide adequate accommodation and I am sure the Wyndmam is.

Your career depends so much on your boss. Promotions, pay rises and a more comfortable working relationship with your boss should greatly outweigh the benefits of staying at your preferred hotel chain for a week.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:23 am
MeNoSay

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I think it's the bosses who were being the bullies, don't you?
Committing battery and threatening someone to do it again if you don't get your way (and calling him a coward lol)?

No, I don't think that. It is fascinating that you think that you are fixing the world for the rest of us through extortion and violence.

Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by MeNoSay
Committing battery and threatening someone to do it again if you don't get your way (and calling him a coward lol)?

No, I don't think that. It is fascinating that you think that you are fixing the world for the rest of us through extortion and violence.
LMAO! Well isn't that the way world works, i.e., war (violence), trade embargos (extortion), etc. Are these to be only the privileges of countries and not individuals?

So how do you feel about Batman?

M8
Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hellolock
I can't believe you are worrying so much about a small thing like what hotel chain you stay at!

You should spend the time focusing on your work and what you have to do at the location instead.

Your company should provide adequate accommodation and I am sure the Wyndmam is.
You are a newbie. Points and status are our life blood! Besides all I get at Wyndham is my ByRequest choice. So wooopeeee! They put a Snickers bar in my room before I check in, because I asked them for it ByRequest. Capisce?

...Your career depends so much on your boss..."
Ewwww! Ewwww! Ewwwwww! Raaaaalph!

Cheers,

M8

P.S. Don't mind me folks. I just got back from a long stint in Angola (the country, not the prison in Louisiana).
Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Your career depends so much on your boss. Promotions, pay rises and a more comfortable working relationship with your boss should greatly outweigh the benefits of staying at your preferred hotel chain for a week.
I have to admit - this statement sums up everything nicely. Regardless of your supervisor's intentions to stay at the Wyndham over the Hilton, I cannot see how this change of accomodation preference should warrant any action, particularly if such action(s) can threaten the stability of your job.

On the other hand, I suppose it would make an interesting topic for the exit interview!
Old Jun 14, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold, US Dividend Miles Silver
Throwing the Elephant

Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...lance&n=283155

In a spoof of just about every career advice and management-by-metaphor book ever created, Bing (What Would Machiavelli Do?) delivers a Zen-like guide to managing your boss. The premise? Here's what Buddha would tell you if he were your personal career coach. A book juxtaposing faux-Zen advice with embarrassing corporate situations (e.g., how to handle a drunken boss) is almost guaranteed to be funny. Bing, "an ultra-senior officer at an elephantine corporation," has plenty of firsthand anecdotes to tell, and he supplements them with stories about some of the notoriously toughest bosses on the planet, like Martha Stewart and Citigroup's Sandy Weill. There are chapters on critiquing your boss ("any bitter pill of criticism one offers an elephant must be buried within a vast tub of cream cheese") and "facing the angry elephant" (when you're to blame for your boss's anger, "breathe deeply. Breath is life"). Despite the amusing anecdotes, though, Bing's narrative can become a bit wearying if one reads more than a couple of chapters in one sitting. However, if an employee only breaks out Bing's book when the elephant is having a particularly bad couple of weeks, enlightenment is certain.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:59 am

What? This thread is still open

M8
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

M8
Maybe you should beat up the OP in the garage.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Maybe you should beat up the OP in the garage.

Hahaha! Good one!
Old Jun 17, 2006, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

M8
Yes, it is still open — and why not?

I tend to give a thread such as this one some time in its original forum to let the “local FlyerTalk members” of that forum respond to it.

Now I do believe that it is time to allow FlyerTalk members who are not Hilton HHonors members to weigh in on this issue.

The new home of this thread is the TravelBuzz! forum.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Hilton forum

By the way, I once had a boss with whom I had a great relationship. We were both Continental OnePass Elite members and sometimes I would get upgrades to the premium cabin when he did not, and occasionally he would get an upgrade to the premium cabin when I did not.

We would simply “razz” each other when that happened: “Hey — how was your seat all the way in the back while I was enjoying that ice cream sundae?”

Those were the days...
Old Jun 17, 2006, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I could easily see something like this happening to me at my old job, even if I did most of the earning for the status to get the upgrade on personal travel. There was a ridiculous amount of posturing when it came to travel costs and trying to look frugal, even when looking frugal was all it was.

My suggestion would be just to keep it as secret and low-key as possible.
Old Jun 17, 2006, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A bit OT, but... jmplatinum, IMO this does not bode well for your tenure unless you do some work on managing your boss (lots of stuff available - courses, books, online presentations, PDF books on Amazon, etc.) as has been suggested. People tend to be consistent in their behaviors, and if your boss is puposely booking you away from Hilton, it is likely there are other ways he will sabotage you as well; he sounds like he is an unpracticed and immature manager at this point, so your preparation will likely help him as well as you.

On the tactical front, humor him, laugh along; look strategically at how you can ultimately have him see it is good for you and good for the company (and him) for you to have the HH extras that make it easier for your road trips to be more productive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.