Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Driving Customs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
I do think the "flashing red ultimately changes to a green arrow" that's found in Michigan isn't something that I have seen elsewhere.
Green arrow--you have the right of way. Go.

Flashing red--stop. You don't have the right of way but you may go if the road is clear.

What's the problem?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Whoa, tiger.

All I said was that I haven't seen it anywhere else I've lived.

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Green arrow--you have the right of way. Go.

Flashing red--stop. You don't have the right of way but you may go if the road is clear.

What's the problem?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: CO plat, BR gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by badtrav
In Pakistan: Not using lights while driving at night. Which is very helpful considering that people also will walk in the middle of the street at night, even if there is a sidewalk.
Sounds like Cambodia too, however to add further irony it is perfectly legal to drive with no head lights at night (and apparently preferable ) but it is against the law and strictly enforced that you may NOT have your head lights on during the day time.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
The center turn lane seems to be a mystery to New England drivers.

Center turn lane is striped as follows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Citystreet.png

Center turn lane is signed as follows:
http://www.mcdot.maricopa.gov/manual...igns/R3_9b.htm

Lane is designed for drivers to turn left (off main road onto side street) without blocking traffing behind them.

Although illegal, an accepted use for these lanes (out West anyway), is to use these lanes to stop and wait for on-comming traffic to clear when turning left off the side street onto the main street.

ie, if the traffic going one direction is clear, but the other side is not, you pull into the center turn lane and wait for the other direction to clear.

This moves baffles New Englanders completely. The like to yield to you, and give dirty looks since they are too polite to use the horn.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 11:56 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24
The center turn lane seems to be a mystery to New England drivers.

Center turn lane is striped as follows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Citystreet.png

Center turn lane is signed as follows:
http://www.mcdot.maricopa.gov/manual...igns/R3_9b.htm

Lane is designed for drivers to turn left (off main road onto side street) without blocking traffing behind them.

Although illegal, an accepted use for these lanes (out West anyway), is to use these lanes to stop and wait for on-comming traffic to clear when turning left off the side street onto the main street.

ie, if the traffic going one direction is clear, but the other side is not, you pull into the center turn lane and wait for the other direction to clear.

This moves baffles New Englanders completely. The like to yield to you, and give dirty looks since they are too polite to use the horn.
I thought the center lane was the acceleration lane
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:01 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

Finally, I wish US cars had rear fog lights like European cars.
It took six months after I bought my Mercedes before I figured out what this was. My wife always has it on, she thinks she has only turned on the front driving lights. They are both on the headlight switch.
Old Sep 13, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
It took six months after I bought my Mercedes before I figured out what this was. My wife always has it on, she thinks she has only turned on the front driving lights. They are both on the headlight switch.
Ugh, the benz in the simplest fog light configuration ever...my mother, however, has the same problem. But besides not knowing what they are/how to turn them on, why are americans clueless as to when to use them. Fog, extremely hazy/cloudy/rainy conditions ONLY and in these conditions they are a MUST for highway driving---they improve visibility 100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.