Odd Driving Customs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd Driving Customs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:46 pm
spd

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, various other low ranking levels on all sorts of loyalty schemes
Originally Posted by simon stingray
South Africa
Slow moving vehicles will drive in the hard shoulder/emergency lane of the freeway to allow faster moving vehicles to pass-this is unheard of and quite a serious offence here in the UK.
This is commonplace in the Republic of Ireland also. Is really useful, especially as the country has a lot of single carriageway low quality roads.

Also, is commplace to use your hazard warning lights to thank such a vehicle who in return flashes their lights to acknowledge your thanks (I think that is what they mean anyway)

Sean
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by spd
...Also, is commplace to use your hazard warning lights to thank such a vehicle who in return flashes their lights to acknowledge your thanks (I think that is what they mean anyway)...
Using hazard warning lights (you let them blink on three times) as a "thank you" is sometimes seen in the States as a car-based alternative to the trucker tradition of blinking the clearance lights. (Those are the lights around the edges of the trailer that show how far it extends.) It can be wasted effort because few people except truckers know what it means, but it's a good way to thank a trucker for flashing his headlights to let you know when it's safe to return to the right lane after passing.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:55 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jpdx
Priority from the right makes perfect sense -- it's a very effective traffic calming tool (when used correctly), and I consider it much less obnoxious than the all-way stop in the US.
I agree with you on this one. You have to be careful though because some drivers will exercise that right no matter what, and just come blazing out of a side street.
I have a hard time remembering that I can't make a turn on red when I'm in Belgium though
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:25 am

In Pakistan: Not using lights while driving at night. Which is very helpful considering that people also will walk in the middle of the street at night, even if there is a sidewalk.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:47 am

Alberta: legislated rubbernecking.

It's now an offence to drive more than 50 km/hr past emergency vehicles that, while stopped at the side of an undivided highway, have their emergency equipment activiated. Of course, this has just codified the previous popular practice of blocking traffic flow to inspect minor fender-benders, roadkill, and assorted highway detritus slowly from the safety and comfort of one's own car.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
Originally Posted by timstravel
1. Yielding to oncoming traffic making a left turn across your lane. Sure makes you feel good about yourself, who cares about the twenty cars behind you that have to come to a stop in support of your altruism. This is even better if there are 2 lanes in your direction, because then cars passing you on the right can easily collide with the one that you've encouraged to turn.

2. Making left turns from the right lane. You just drive down the right side of the line of cars waiting to turn, on the shoulder if need be, then at the last minute activate your turn signal thereby giving you the power to not have to wait like everyone else.

3. Making left turns across intersecting traffic by pulling out and blocking the rightbound oncoming lanes, then stopping and waiting for a chance to merge into the leftbound traffic no matter how long it takes.

4. Going straight across 80-90% of an intersection before deciding to turn left, instead of starting the turn as soon as possible. Maybe this is because they have lots of rotaries (traffic circles) up here?

5. Going the wrong way down a one-way street because otherwise you'd have to go around the block and your time is too valuable for that.

6. Double or triple parking.

7. Parking at an intersection so that others can't see oncoming traffic.

8. Stopping in moving traffic to let vehicles enter the roadway from right or left intersecting streets even though they are waiting at a stop sign. See #1, above.

9. Swerving into oncoming lanes because there is a car parked at the side of the road, no matter how much room you have to pass. After all, what would you rather do - sideswipe a parked car or head-on a semi? It's a no-brainer, like most of the drivers here!
10. Speeding thru yellow and even red lights, creating gridlock.

11. Jamming to beat the other driver out in a merge-to-one-lane, creating yet another traffic jam from the ensuing bottleneck.

This is why the Big Dig will never work - you can fix the infrastructure all you want but it won't do a thing if the people are vociferously stupid.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by davidcalgary29
Alberta: legislated rubbernecking.

It's now an offence to drive more than 50 km/hr past emergency vehicles that, while stopped at the side of an undivided highway, have their emergency equipment activiated. Of course, this has just codified the previous popular practice of blocking traffic flow to inspect minor fender-benders, roadkill, and assorted highway detritus slowly from the safety and comfort of one's own car.
A bit of slowdown won't hurt you, DavidCalgary29. Slow down and you'll live longer.

Sanosuke!
Old Sep 5, 2006, 9:00 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Midwest top 10 list

I have a few habits that really piss midwesterners off.

1. Driving 75+ in the inside freeway lane.

2. Flashing my brights at those not traveling 75 in the inside lane

3. Blow my horn when someone dosn't take off fast enough when the light changes green

4. The "California creep"

5. Blow my horn when someone moves in front of me that is not traveling as fast as I am

6. Using the right turn lane even though I plan on going straight so I get the holeshot (learned this in CA)

7. Passing on the shoulder

8. Blow my horn as I blow thru a yellow/red light to warn others (also learned this in CA)

9. Slam on my brakes when the person behind me is to close

10. I wave and smile whenever I piss someone else off, this further upsets them (more so than flipping the finger back)

(I've been driving for 22 years and have never had an at-fault accident, I've had my fair share of speeding tickets though)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by ALARISstl

3. Blow my horn when someone dosn't take off fast enough when the light changes green

5. Blow my horn when someone moves in front of me that is not traveling as fast as I am

6. Using the right turn lane even though I plan on going straight so I get the holeshot (learned this in CA)

8. Blow my horn as I blow thru a yellow/red light to warn others (also learned this in CA)

10. I wave and smile whenever I piss someone else off, this further upsets them (more so than flipping the finger back)

(I've been driving for 22 years and have never had an at-fault accident, I've had my fair share of speeding tickets though)
Don't expect a crowd at your wake.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
In Hartford County, Connecticut: left turn signals are employed only after the car turning left has come to a complete stop in the travel lane at the intersection where the car is turning left. Why give any warning to those behind you?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
In Scotland we wave to another driver if he or she gives way to us on a norrow road or if there is traffic calming measures. We also flash our hazard lights if someone lets us in infront of them. Flashing headlights like someone else said can mean a million things in the UK. We also indicate right if we are going round a round about and then left to exit.

In South Dakota it is law that if there is a car stopped on the hard shoulder you must pass it in the fast lane to give more clearance. I suppose it makes the shoulder safer and makes it easier to tell if someone plans to stop.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:53 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by ALARISstl

may I suggest decaf?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Don't expect a crowd at your wake.
Stop. That's mean. There will be a crowd...to make sure that he's actually dead.

I kid. I do most of those (not the really bad ones---e.g. slamming on brakes when being tailgated or using the shoulder to pass), and these are often a result of bad driving on the part of others that causes slightly more aggressive evasive action. I never have to do these things in Germany, or even Italy, where people actually know how to drive, though at times it may not seem like it.

Anyway, back to the OP. The craziest, weirdest, and simultaneously best traffic custom award goes to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Zeichen_282.png
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I find it odd that in most of the US, when I signal a lane change, the driver in the other lane accomodates.

In California, it is great fun to control the speed of other drivers: signal a lane change, they speed up to prevent it. Passes the time.

As to Italy, I agree: they know how to drive. The style there reminds of people exiting from a theater - very free form but orderly at the same time. I like it. I feel I can trust the other drivers on the road much more there.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by fastflyer
In Hartford County, Connecticut: left turn signals are employed only after the car turning left has come to a complete stop in the travel lane at the intersection where the car is turning left. Why give any warning to those behind you?
And here I thought Michigan had a monopoly on this one. It's mostly seen at intersections on two-lane roads with no left-turn lane, and is most effectively employed when the first car in line has to stop for a red light, only turning on the turn signal after the light has turned green.

The Michigan right-plus-U-turn equals left took some getting used to, but I grew up in New Jersey, land of the jug-handle, and they amount to the same thing. The Michigan interpretation is more fun, though, because whereas in New Jersey you only have to stop for two red lights to make the left turn, in Michigan you might have to stop for three, depending on swiftness of the drivers ahead of you.

Michigan also has its share of freeway exits out of the fast lane, but also has entrances into the fast lane. Lots of fun if you're cruising along at, say, 75, and encounter a semi wanting to merge into your lane doing maybe 35, to say nothing of the hijinks that ensue when said semi tries to move across three lanes to get to the right lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.