Wiki Posts
Search

Quality Luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enthusiastic flier
As for the post, I have only this to say....buy what you need
Of course, but I can buy what I need at wildly different price points. Furthermore, different manufactures produce luggage at different quality levels. It is also not always the case that the price one pays will match the quality one receives or needs. Furthermore, a point that the consumer reports article made is that if your bags aren't going to survive even a single trip, they aren't worth the money at any price - and some bags one...I do not wish to purchase those bags, but I do not know what they are, nor do I know who manufactures good bags at a good price....nor do I know what a "good price" is.

A good example would be with tennis racquet strings...one can easily pay more then $10 just for the strings for a racquet, but the vast majority of player will only need the $3 strings. The higher the price one pays for the strings does not mean one is getting something that much better or that ones actually needs to spend that much.

As for the specific bags I needs, it would likely be what comes in a typical 3-piece set...a large bags for extended trips, a smaller bag for shorter trips, but one that can still be carried on the plane and an even smaller bag for other items.
Old May 18, 2006, 10:17 am

While I am not familiar with Costco's luggage, I do understand that their private label products are held to some of the most rigorous standards in the industry which typically includes being equal to or better than name brands. Costco has a very good reputation among suppliers to retail in this area.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ericgorr
Of course, but I can buy what I need at wildly different price points. Furthermore, different manufactures produce luggage at different quality levels. It is also not always the case that the price one pays will match the quality one receives or needs. Furthermore, a point that the consumer reports article made is that if your bags aren't going to survive even a single trip, they aren't worth the money at any price - and some bags one...I do not wish to purchase those bags, but I do not know what they are, nor do I know who manufactures good bags at a good price....nor do I know what a "good price" is.

A good example would be with tennis racquet strings...one can easily pay more then $10 just for the strings for a racquet, but the vast majority of player will only need the $3 strings. The higher the price one pays for the strings does not mean one is getting something that much better or that ones actually needs to spend that much.

As for the specific bags I needs, it would likely be what comes in a typical 3-piece set...a large bags for extended trips, a smaller bag for shorter trips, but one that can still be carried on the plane and an even smaller bag for other items.
Just to emphasize, Briggs and Riley is extremely tough. In addition, they have essentially an unconditional lifetime warranty. If your bag has a problem, they fix it and this includes damage by an airline or other handler. So if the airline runs your bag over with a 747 Briggs and Riley will repair it free. You do have to pay to ship it to them, however.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:17 am

Kenneth Cole

... is my favorite bag. Remarkably durable.

I've found off-price department stores (Marshall's, Filene's Basement etc.) to be a great source for high-quality luggage at a low price. Look for ballistic nylon, reinforced corners and a sturdy handle.

And, honestly, if you travel enough you have to be prepared for some damage -- my rollaboard has been thoroughly beaten into submission by this point, but is still eminently servicable. Hence, I look for good quality but won't pay a lot -- there will probably be some day that you have to check that designer bag, and that'll be the day it's raining and it falls off the luggage cart and gets run over.

Consumer Reports did like Ricardo Beverly Hills, and definitely recommended soft-side over hard-side.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:47 am

Anyone have any experience with Samsonite's Pro DLX carry on?

I am considering it because it contains a suiter and seems to be able to carry enough clothes for short business trips.
Old May 18, 2006, 12:03 pm

On my last long-haul trip that included multi-destinations, I just bought the cheapest luggage I could find that came layered with the smaller suitcases inside the larger. It was about 4 cases in total costing about $30.00. I knew I was going to bring lots of stuff back to home so I only filled the smallest suitcase and left all the suitcases inside and checked it to my first destination. I have to say that not worrying about whether it'd get lost or get teared up along the way was great. It'd been different if I spent alot on the suitcase. All in all it was a great $30 investment to carry back all the things I wanted from my trip. I could've thrown away the luggage but I think it still deserves one or two more trips.
Old May 18, 2006, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by ajk2n123
On my last long-haul trip that included multi-destinations, I just bought the cheapest luggage I could find that came layered with the smaller suitcases inside the larger. It was about 4 cases in total costing about $30.00. I knew I was going to bring lots of stuff back to home so I only filled the smallest suitcase and left all the suitcases inside and checked it to my first destination. I have to say that not worrying about whether it'd get lost or get teared up along the way was great. It'd been different if I spent alot on the suitcase. All in all it was a great $30 investment to carry back all the things I wanted from my trip. I could've thrown away the luggage but I think it still deserves one or two more trips.
A bit unwieldy if you are travelling like twice a week though.
Old May 18, 2006, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
A bit unwieldy if you are travelling like twice a week though.

You definitely need a nice set of luggage for the frequent trips no doubt. It's a pain traveling around with luggage that doesn't suit your needs.
Old May 18, 2006, 2:00 pm

22" and 26" rolling duffles (1000 denier). Light, flexible, hold more volume. My TravelPro set just collects dust now. Why start with a bag that already weighs 15+ pounds empty?
Old May 18, 2006, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by bdesmond
Briggs & Riley is my brand of choice both simply because of the quality and their no questions asked lifetime warranty. I have a 21" expandable rollaboard that I take on every trip. If I need to pack extra crap for some reason (usually my toolbag), I expand it and send it checked. I've beat the crap out of mine and it's still going. My dad has two of them from ten years of traveling, and he's warrantied them numerous times for the hell he gives the things. He breaks the zippers from overfilling them way too much. Send it in and they fix it and any other problems. My only problem with the 21" rollaboard is that if its very full (e.g. the sides are expanding) it doesn't fit in an E70 overhead bin. This is fine on UX, but USX insists on gate checking to the final destination in that situation.

Tumi briefcases are nice, I've actually been a Swiss Army fan the past few years since I get alot of free Swiss Army bags. I've been using some brand of backpack I'd never heard of, Ogio that I got at a conference and it's a really nice bag - tons of pockets, laptop pouch, etc. Has held up well so far for 8 months.
I like Briggs and Riley, too - have a computer bag + 21" rollaboard. Very durable. The computer bag, though is a bit heavy - so one should check before you buy for mass.

Samsonite is another one I swear by - I've used their Oyster hard shell suitcases and they can take a real beating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.