Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What are some general safety tips when going to unsafe/poor countries/places?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 6:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

stuff like, keep your wallet on an inside pocket in your pants, don't wear any jewellry etc.
Old May 1, 2006, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, NW
-Research ahead of time. Learn about the culture, the people, the standards of behavior and beliefs. Study the city(s) you'll be in and get a feel for the geography of the place. Learn the major routes between your destinations in the city so you'll be able to tell if a driver is taking you off course. Determine back-up routes just in case, including using public transit.

-Make sure that multiple people know your itinerary in detail, and check in by phone or in person with the US Embassy/Consulate in country so they can contact you/track you if necessary.

-Keep contact info for in-country and out-of-country POCs handy.

-Memorize (or at least have handy) common phrases and basic questions in the local language(s).

-Some people will advise you to avoid revealing that you're an American. I don't agree, though flauting it is always bad. Disregard if you're not from the US.

-Travel in groups and avoid spontaneous side trips.

-Wallet in the front pocket, and don't carry large sums of money on you. If you're in a reputable hotel, use the hotel safe to store a spare credit card and a photocopy of your passport/visa. As you said, don't wear a lot of expensive jewelry.

-Dress to fit in. The more you blend, the better off you'll be.

-Respect local customs, particularly in terms of attire, manners, and diet. I can't emphasize this enough.

-Don't get drunk. Period. Not even in your hotel room late on the last night in-country.

-Always have a backup plan if a flight is cancelled, train breaks down, or whatever. Also remember that discretion is the better part of valour. When in doubt, withdraw to a safe location and consider the situation for as long as it takes.

-Remember that you can't plan for everything, and that being paranoid annoys people. Be smart, be safe, and then just relax as much as you can. Few places are bad enough to put you in a lot of danger, unless you're personally a target for some reason.
Old May 1, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Info

My wife and I always carry different credit cards. I also make a list of all credit card company's international phone numbers-they are collect!

On a sheet of paper, I list the credit card company and the phone number That way, you won't forget to call someone and get a rude awakening.

I make copies of the following and leave a copy at home with a relative. I also take a copy on the trip and secure it in the hotel safe:

passport
credit card info
medical insurance cards

Also, as the previour poster recommends, I only carry a copy of my passport with me after I have arrived at my destination.

If you have additional aoncern, you can register your trip at the US State department https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/
Old May 1, 2006, 9:20 am

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
1) Try to blend in as much as possible. Don't call attention to yourself by looking like a "rich tourist."
2) Multiple pockets/pouches work for me. I've known some people to carry "decoy" wallets and credit cards.
3) Always be extra kind to hotel security guards and people that will provide with you with local safety information.
4) Backup your important information - somewhere (photocopy/digital file/internet).
Old May 1, 2006, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
On some trips I will take two purses - one, my normal one I leave somewhere safe (hotel safe), the other will contain money for the day, plus one emergency card.

If its really unsafe, and I'm there for business, I've been known to hardly leave the hotel except for work. Better I have a boring few days, than something nasty happen.
Old May 1, 2006, 7:56 pm

I usually wear a waist wallet (this is the one: http://www.pac-safe.com/product.aspx?pId=647) when I travel overseas where I keep my tickets/eletronic ticket receipt, passport and cards I don't plan on using that day. The Pacsafe one has a cable sewn into the strap so it can't be cut off easily but if you wear it below your waistline with your shirt tucked in they'll have a hard time getting to it anyway. The Pacsafe one adds a little bulk to your waist so getting one without the cable may be slightly more comfortable.

I also carry a storm whistle (http://www.rei.com/product/730.htm) to attract attention if necessary. Perfectly legal in every country and can't be used against you.

Just remember it's not the unsafe countries you have to worry about. It's the safe ones where you've been lulled into a false sense of security.
Old May 2, 2006, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People often spend far too much effort thinking that only people make countries unsafe and dont focus on all the nasty parasites and microbes that prove more dangerous and deadly than a brush with a mugger.

Whilst shopping for a discreet fanny pack and putting jewellery into storage, do look carefully into the medical dangers of where you are going.

And the not getting drunk advice is especially important on another level there are many insurance policies that wont cover you if it can be shown that you took even a sip of alcohol. The end result could cost you many thousands of dollars. More than anybody could you rob you of ilegally.

My top advice for staying safe is: cook it, peel it or leave it (and avoid ice in drinks and ice-cream). This will keep you safe from most of the worst dangers. And of course, theres Malaria too.
Old May 2, 2006, 8:06 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by LapLap
People often spend far too much effort thinking that only people make countries unsafe and dont focus on all the nasty parasites and microbes that prove more dangerous and deadly than a brush with a mugger.

Whilst shopping for a discreet fanny pack and putting jewellery into storage, do look carefully into the medical dangers of where you are going.

My top advice for staying safe is: cook it, peel it or leave it (and avoid ice in drinks and ice-cream). This will keep you safe from most of the worst dangers. And of course, theres Malaria too.
Absolutely! ^

Get your booster shots and other immunizations before going, and keep a copy of your shot record handy, if you have one. Make sure your insurace covers you on the trip and has an evacuation clause (my dad had to be flown from Zimbabwe's brush country to J-berg when he collapsed due to DVT). Watch out for dairy and fish products, and do be careful with the water.
Old May 2, 2006, 8:56 am

Programs: AC Elite (waddya mean it's expired?), HHonours Gold, bunch of other stuff
Get a Gmail account or other secure web-based email. Then scan your passport bio page, visas, birth cert, eyeglass/contacts prescription, and anything else you might conceivable need and email the scans to that account.

Then if you lose your passport, break your glasses, etc. etc. you can have your documention as close as the nearest internet access.

Some will say you shouldn't put all that on the Internet, but there isn't really all that much information on those documents, and a reputable service like gmail is going to have good security - that's how they stay reputable - so I think the benefits far outweigh any possible drawbacks.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum,
Originally Posted by viajero7889
1) Try to blend in as much as possible. Don't call attention to yourself by looking like a "rich tourist."
2) Multiple pockets/pouches work for me. I've known some people to carry "decoy" wallets and credit cards.
3) Always be extra kind to hotel security guards and people that will provide with you with local safety information.
4) Backup your important information - somewhere (photocopy/digital file/internet).
I definately agree with trying to blend in as much as possible. Do not wear jewelry, watches, earrings or anything flashy. On a recent trip to South Africa we made sure all of our luggage was in the trunk. Driving is dangerous especially if luggage is in the back seat... someone could break the window to grab luggage while you are stoped at a stop light.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:42 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I generally try and look confident when I'm out (so no standing on a street intersection and getting a map out ).

Also just be very aware of your surroundings without being paranoid and try anticipate any situations. My wife says it is a bloke thing but most of us chaps can normally sense when in a bar if some trouble is about to kick-off. We were with friends in bar in Barcelona last year and me and my pal thought we should leave. Our wives thought the bar was OK but within seconds of leaving, the windows went through and a massive punch-up started.

It also helps to know some of the street scams that are tried on unsuspecting visitors. I believe the most common is where two work together and one quickly squirts mayonaise or tomato sauce on your back and the other then taps you on the shoulder, points it out and offers to help you clean it. In the confusion and general rubbing down of the clothes etc the other then lifts your wallet from your pocket.
Old May 2, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: DL GLD, AA PLT, PC PLT, NATL Emrld
Originally Posted by BOH
I generally try and look confident when I'm out (so no standing on a street intersection and getting a map out ).
Yes, that is another big one...when I travel I look at my map very discreetly. I'll often fold it so that only the section I need is ready instead of having to unfold some huge page. I"ll also carry my map inside a local paper. If I have my big camera I'll wrap the strap around my wrist and put it inside a common plastic grocery bag.
Old May 2, 2006, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
A couple to add:

I bought pants from Travelsmith with zippered pockets, zippered pockets inside other pockets and pockets inside the pants (hard to reach discretely, though).

When I travel with family, we have a code phrase if we sense trouble. We assume a back to back posture if anyone calls it. So far, nothing but false alarms (maybe).
Old May 2, 2006, 1:15 pm

Using Hand Sanitizer

Using a hand sanitizer gell to clean your hands before eating seems like a good idea.
Old May 2, 2006, 1:53 pm
JTG

Programs: UA/AA/SW/MR Gold/Hyatt/HH
Trust your instincts!

OK, this is timely. This story, literally, happened to me this evening in Sandton City Mall in Johannesburg. To me, it was a clearly blatant scam. But my colleague was second-guessing himself . . .

We stopped by a bank ATM in the mall to get
some cash. I finished my transaction, got my card and receipt. Some well-dressed guy comes up to me and starts pointing to the ATM saying
my transaction was not finished and I needed to put my card back in to
clear the system. I told him my transaction was completed and I had my
receipt. He kept insisting that it was not and that he couldn't use the
ATM unless I closed my session. I told him I was NOT putting my card
back into the ATM machine so he went over to the other guy I was with
and tried to get him to do it. As it turned out, he had not entered his
pin correctly and thought there might be something to this. But I
convinced him not to try it again. I told the scammer that if the
machines were hung up, the lady I could see inside the bank would help
him and he said that they were closed. I told him that wasn't my problem
and we walked away. I never really felt threatened by the guy and I was
bigger than he was.

I mentioned the incident to the proprietor of a restaurant a few minutes later. He got pissed off and had one of his waiters go out and call security to report what had happened. 10 minutes later we got there and explained what had happened. They said that this happens a lot and the scam is for you to hand your card to the guy so that he can show you what he's talking about. They then palm your card and give you a fake one. Now, I think I would have noticed if I'd given him my card that he didn't give me MY card back, but I guess once they get hold of it they just take off.

Trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right, WALK AWAY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.