Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overboard DRUNK 15 y.o. dies off cruise ship... Parents blame cruise line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OK, you're right... I did trivialize it... you're right, that was wrong of me... I won't do it again...

I still think the bigger picture/problem here is a more complex issue that because more parents are working, there is less child "raising" going on... and it's not surprising that more kids grow up irresponsible. A 15 year old running around at all hours on a cruise ship ordering cocktails tells me there was some poor parenting going on.

To try to do something constructive, I would ask WHAT CAN WE LEARN FROM THIS, to prevent it from happening to someone else...

And I guess the answer is spend more time raising and monitoring and supervisiing children, and less time at the office or beauty parlor.

As I said earlier, I know I would make a bad parent... I'm very selfish... but for some reason, I have the ability to admit and to know this... I wish others could also.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
You're right it was wrong of you. I've also just seen the post where you have constructed a dialoge between the girls parents. This is truly disgusting.

If there are any moderators, this is an issue which really needs to be addressed. Presumably this individual could be blocked from inflicting this kind of tasteless nonsense?
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:34 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Exclamation Moderator Please Check

I'm reporting this thread to the Moderator.

It contains deeply offensive and thinly disguised bigoted views.

The poster is trolling around the forums posting similar xenophobic and bigotted views. Examination of similar threads on "bad tourist behaviour" and "underated cities" and even one on "prague" I believe show that this poster has mischief and mayhem on his mind. He seems proud that he will be making his views known, and tries to justify them by saying he's telling us the hard cold truth and that he is only saying what he really thinks. Well if everyone in society adopted this misguided mantra where would we be?

His comments re possible conversations the 15 year old victims parents may have had are completely unaaceptable and possibly libellous

I urge you to take action against the individual so as to prevent him from making these offensive bigotry remarks.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

You're no fun.... boo hoo... You want to censor those that don't agree with you. I thought this thread, and almost every other thread on this board is well within reason.... sure, people have made some broad generalizations like "americans are the worst travelers..." etc., but I haven't seen any "hate speech" by anyone...

And we have the most wonderful moderator in the history of boards here...

And I am what they call an "original member", whatever that is... I guess it means I've been on this board longer than most of you... maybe even longer than the fab moderator we have here, who is very reasonable ...
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:55 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
So your saying that because you are an "original member" that gives you the RIGHT to say what you are saying????

Boo Hoo..,we're no fun - well that may be the case. I never really thought making ill informed bigoted judgements concerning the tragic death of a 15 year was fun . . . . . . what world do you inhabit? I'm glad it's not mine

Don't try and justify your perverted bigoted remarks by saying its (a) fun (b) the cold hard truth (c) its just what you think

None of these make what you say "right" no matter how loud you shout it.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 4:57 am

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Whether or not the cruise company has actual damages to be paid to the family is questionable, however punitive damages are more than appropriate in this case.

The cruise line has the legal responsibility to behave in a lawful manner, and to enforce that all of its employees behave in a lawful manner, and the system of punitive damages is based around the fact that if the company won't enforce legal behavior to save lives, maybe it will enforce the behavior when it costs the company $500 million.

That said, if you want to get into a debate over punitive settlements, I believe that the majority of punitive damages SHOULD NOT go to the plaintiff, but rather to some fund to help the general public. Obviously, a fair amount should go to both the plaintiff and the attorney, but not the full amount.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I guess what "original member" means is that I probably have a better idea of what is reasonable than you do.

If you get your way, and this thread is censored, which it probably will be, it doesn't change my opinion, and the opinion of maybe half of the other posters, that poor parenting was involved here... and that parents shouldn't assume that the cruise line will raise their children for them, or babysit their the children for them.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by flyrights
I guess what "original member" means is that I probably have a better idea of what is reasonable than you do..
Hmmm, that's a really good argument.....

Originally Posted by flyrights
If you get your way, and this thread is censored, which it probably will be, it doesn't change my opinion, and the opinion of maybe half of the other posters, that poor parenting was involved here... and that parents shouldn't assume that the cruise line will raise their children for them, or babysit their the children for them.
You still don't get it do you? Do you have difficulties comprehending simple matters?
There is nothing wrong with passing a comment that parents have a responsibilty to look after their kids and debate that issue. You just don't do that do you? - you have to take it much further by making vile sick libellous attempt at humour - you make it worse by puitting it out under the "banner of truth" - Just what are the facts here - you don't have a clue what they actually are do you.

The longer you try to justify your comments, the more of an idiot you paint yourself!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
It's a sad story whoever is at fault, but feeding a troller doesn't do any good.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:55 am

I bet the bartender didn't even serve the drinks directly, it was probably someone passing them through, although not completely out of the question.

And that means keeping your kids IN PHYSICAL sight, 24 hours a day if necessary... especially when they are 13 to 18.
That comment is simply ridiculous. Any kid who wants to be in sight of their parents throughout that age period AT ALL TIMES is in serious trouble.

This is clearly not the parents fault imo. Its the kids and the cruise ships. I got drunk on a cruise ship when I was 15 (might've been 16) too. Its sort of a right of passage I think? My friends parents were nowhere in sight, sleeping in fact, while we got drunk on deck several times.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 6:11 am

Programs: FB, EB, Delta, AC, PC, HH.
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
It's a sad story whoever is at fault, but feeding a troller doesn't do any good.
Watch out. I had a warning for naming someone a troller. We could all get censored here. ;-)

Anyway - I agree that this thread needs to be dealt with.

As for any oppinion to the case - I'll keep them to myself.

/E
Old Apr 15, 2006, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
The Irish haven't changed a bit.
I find this comment extremely offensive and insensitive.

It contains deeply offensive and thinly disguised bigoted views.
I've also just seen the post where you have constructed a dialoge between the girls parents. This is truly disgusting
Hear, hear
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Moderator: i'm not bothered if someone calls me a "troll" or anything else... please don't censor those people... I'm in favor of free speech. I think this has been a pretty good discussion... and I have tried to keep it travel-related, rather than just a legal issue better suited to another type of board.

If someone is so offended, I would suggest they don't post a reply. I'm not counting, but in the past few days, I made quite a few threads, and they seem to be getting in the hundreds of replies... naturally, I never forced anyone to reply. But if someone is offended, which I can understand, I would suggest they simply don't post a reply and move on to a lesser offensive topic, like "rental car pet peeves"... which I don't think anyone would consider offensive, and still quite interesting and relevant.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, this thread has gone downhill fast and remained there.

Let me remind you that we do *not* allow discussions of other FlyerTalkers on threads.

I am closing this. Let's move on.

--richard, moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.