Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flip side: The most UNDERRATED City in the world is....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flip side: The most UNDERRATED City in the world is....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:25 pm

Sarajevo
Sarajevo
Sarajevo

And I'm glad to see it's on that USA Today list. It's a lovely city and WELL worth a visit and spending time to get to know.

Suprised to see Chicago on the list. I've lived my entire life and am working to leave it right now. It's WAY over-rated. What the hell do you all see in it?
Old Apr 13, 2006, 10:39 pm

Programs: Skyteam/Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold Preferred
Originally Posted by ksandness
I was in Taipei twenty years ago and was not impressed with its cleanliness then (no doubt it has changed), but I agree that the countryside of Taiwan is an undiscovered treasure.
Umm, 20 years ago is like a world apart. That would be like comparing a seed to a young tree. Nowadays, the ROC is a vibrant democracy, and despite being ignored by "world" groups such as UN and WHO, will play an important role in US relations by (hopefully) acting as a counterbalance to communist China's growing power. Taiwan now has a strong service-oriented and hi-tech economy, much like New York or Hong Kong, whereas 20 years ago textiles were probably dominant.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I'm going to concur with the consensus about Taipei and Mexico City (especially when talking about street food, these are two GREAT choices for quality local eats), and I will add the following:

Kanazawa, Japan: a busy city of around 450. 000 spared from the bombings of WWII. There are numerous temples and excellent museums, in addition to being a city enjoyed well by bike.

Salzburg, Austria: nice architecture and good views of the city from the castle upon the hill. also, check out Mozart's abode and some bratwurst.

Xi'an, China: Of course, the terra cotta warriors are a sight in and of themselves, but the city also has a well-kept city wall which one can ride a bike on top of, museums and quality pork and vegetable buns, and walnut dumplings (one of my favourite foods anywhere).
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I also think Chicago gets short thrift from visitors visiting the coasts.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:02 pm

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Paris. If I hear one more time how mean the people are and dirty it is, I'm gonna puke. It's the same as any other big city on this planet.
I could not agree more...I have never met a rude person in Paris, and when someone tells me they have, I want to remind them that they had bought into the complete stereotype, approached a Parisian as thought they would be rude...and guess what, that Parisian wondered who the hell this rude American was and reacted in kind...I have only ever found Parisians to be gracious, classy, always ready to help, but you approach them as though they will be that and they, with that amazing Parisian charm, always are.

Chicago is, I think, a bit overlooked as a "Midwestern" city. Portland is an amazingly beautiful city, the Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, NW 23 Ave. neighborhood, complete with street cars...and those views out to the mountains and the Columbia River Gorge right there...wonderful.

I find fun where ever I am...Oklahoma City is great fun, with great bars and restaurants, if you care to seek them out.

MWP
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by donovan1313
Chicago, Toronto, Chiang Mai, Strasbourg, Lausanne, Innsbruck, Genoa
The world's most American city underrated? Surely not (and it definitely joins the list of citys I would happily go back to)!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:20 am

Programs: LH S, EK S, QF G, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Amex Plat
Vilnius

First of all I would like to second KL. It is an amazing mixture of Asia and it's history and well looked after. It is so much more then the Twin Towers, it has been reduced to in a way.

The other one I would like to mention is Vilnius. Though my heart is in Riga(since I lived there for some time), Vilnius is a beauty of a city, but it seems to be difficult to position it vs. the more hip Riga and Tallinn(no surprise Tallinn shows up in the USA Today report, journalists usually never reach Vilnius when travelling the Baltics)
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:17 am

Programs: 2Peon, NW PLAT, HH Diamond & *W Fallen-from-Gold-Grace
Helsinki
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:33 am
Suspended

I agree that MEXICO CITY is the most underrated City in the world. We really enjoyed it and saw very few tourists. It was not the smog filled dangerous place described in all the articles. The people were great and I saw alot of smiles. Very little begging for all the poverty and things were cheap.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:02 am

Programs: PC
Macau! It's really a shame that it's lived in HK's shadow, it offers a truly unique experience, having the feel of a Mediterranean town with a touch of the Orient and modern shopping and gambling facilities.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:21 am

Copenhagen.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:18 am

Programs: BA, UA
Newcastle

Vienna

Galway

And i third Stuttgart - the Porsche and Merc Museumry is top notch ^
Old Apr 14, 2006, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Nashville, TN

I was surprised how much there is to see and do in Nashville, TN
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Singapore. Far from being sterile and uninteresting, as I regularly read, Singapore is a great mix of cultures, with great food to match. The Singapore Zoo, Night Safari, and Jurong Bird Park have to be some of the best animal exhibits in the world. The Asian Civilization Museum is amazing and Raffles is one of the most unique and beautiful hotels in the world (amongst other great hotels in Singapore).
Old Apr 20, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
For me I'd add Canberra in Australia. I've not been to any other city of its size with the sort of parklands and green space that it has. Add in pretty much the best selection of museums and galleries in Australia and it's more than just a place for politicians. Sure, it's not a place to go for wild nightlife, but it's an enjoyable and much maligned destination.

(that being said, I'd *never* live there, but it's a pleasant place to visit, and much better than its reputation within Australia anyway )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.