Search

Name On Ticket And Passport for Intl Travel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2006, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sandra_w
About 1 year and half ago, I was about to check-in for a Southwest flight. The agent said "you can't fly because your name doesn't match" Apparently the CTM at my company mistakenly reversed my name and booked me under "W******** Sandra"(first/last name reversed) I told tod the agent that it wasn't my mistake. Heck. my ID shows "Sandra W********" in the exact spelling. No deal. The supervisor came over and also said I couldn't fly. Sine I couldn't miss that flight because of a business meeting, I was forced to pay for another ticket.
Well, if SW is part of IATA -- is it??? -- then your situation should not arise. A clear swap of first/given and last/family name spelled correctly is certainly permissible. In some cases -- due to cultural norms, including some found in the US -- a name "order" swap is completely correct. A family name is not always a last name and first name is sometimes a family name. Not applicable in your situation, but certainly covers some. I certainly no persons who have flown on SW with names "swapped" and have had no issue.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
My father dislikes his first name with a passion, so he goes by X. Y. Smith. (name made up). His passport has Xavier Yougal Smith, and all his FF accounts are X. Y. Smith or X. Yougal Smith. He's never had a problem, and has traveled the world on business.

His photo ID also says X. Y. Smith.
What on earth for?! Thats a really cool name!
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:12 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Well, if SW is part of IATA -- is it??? -- then your situation should not arise. A clear swap of first/given and last/family name spelled correctly is certainly permissible. In some cases -- due to cultural norms, including some found in the US -- a name "order" swap is completely correct. A family name is not always a last name and first name is sometimes a family name. Not applicable in your situation, but certainly covers some. I certainly no persons who have flown on SW with names "swapped" and have had no issue.
Last last year a travel agent reversed my son's first and last names on a ticket for travel to India. The airlines involved told me it would most likely not be a problem, but no one could guarantee that. As he was 16 and traveling alone, I insisted the travel agent issue the ticket correctly (it was the TA's error). The TA didn't balk, despite that it apparently cost the office a bit of money. They had to cancel the old ticket and issue a new one. The new ticket arrived with a receipt for $500 more than I had paid for the original ticket. I'm with the better-safe-than-sorry crowd. And I'm certainly not going to take the risk to cover someone else's mistake.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 14, 2006 at 9:23 am
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:28 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if SW is part of IATA -- is it???
Who would ever admit SouthWest into IATA? The only NA-based IATA members are: AC/AS/AQ/HP/AA/CO/DL/NW/UA/US.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by letiole
Last last year a travel agent reversed my son's first and last names on a ticket for travel to India. The airlines involved told me it would most likely not be a problem, but no one could guarantee that. As he was 16 and traveling alone, I insisted the travel agent issue the ticket correctly (it was the TA's error). The TA didn't balk, despite that it apparently cost the office a bit of money. They had to cancel the old ticket and issue a new one. The new ticket arrived with a receipt for $500 more than I had paid for the original ticket. I'm with the better-safe-than-sorry crowd. And I'm certainly not going to take the risk to cover someone else's mistake.
No one can 100% guarantee that a passport name sequence matching the name sequence on a ticket will not cause problems either. "Most likely" it won't.

That said, I'm all for TAs fixing a mistake of their own creation.

Why is that when I dictate "know" some type "no". (Reference to my prior post's typo.)
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:50 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
No one can 100% guarantee that a passport name sequence matching the name sequence on a ticket will not cause problems either. "Most likely" it won't.
I guess I'm curious if there really is some proof that this is allowed per IATA, and if so where I'd find it. But that brings up the question, that if it really is allowed per IATA, does that matter at all if security screeners, whether in the US or in another country, won't allow it?

Why is that when I dictate "know" some type "no". (Reference to my prior post's typo.) [/QUOTE]

I don't no or know, but I'm increasingly finding I type "their" when I mean "they're" (and I see above I typed "last last year" when I meant "late last year"). I say our typing simply cannot keep up with our brilliant minds, and that these errors are absolutely in no way any sign of aging or temporary mental lapses.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 14, 2006 at 12:55 pm
Old Apr 14, 2006, 1:01 pm
Suspended

I guess I'm curious if there really is some proof that this is allowed per IATA, and if so where I'd find it. But that brings up the question, that if it really is allowed per IATA, does that matter at all if security screeners, whether in the US or in another country, won't allow it?
This might be dated but his experience gels with mine: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...20&postcount=8

With the US and India, airport-located government/airport-employed security screeners (and immigration/customs) are most likely not going to cause an issue with minor name issues such that boarding is delayed/denied.

A much younger colleague of mine travels more than I do between the US and various parts of Asia -- he may have even gone between the US/Europe & India more than me -- and he almost always has his ticketed name "switched" as far as perceived by people expecting majority European naming conventions.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 2:29 am

I recently started a thread asking if someone could help me find the official IATA rules.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533039

unfortunately, I never found the rules.

we are flying next week on AirFrance, and my wife's ticket has her family name as LEWIN, whereas her passport has her family name as LYUIN which is how the Russian passport authorities transliterated the name back to the latin alphabet from the Russian spelling of my name. I was told by Air France that "it should be OK because you can have 2, even 3 letter wrong in a name" but "they cannot guarantee there won't be a problem because the spelling *looks* very different."
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:25 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
I go by my middle name...

...and in the rush to purchase the ticket to LCA I put my middle name and last name on the ticket. Domestically I have never had a problem. However, my passport has first, middle, last name.

So my ticket to LCA has
middle name, last name

passport has:
first name, middle name, last name

Do you think it will be a problem for me? Any suggestions on what steps I might take to avoid problem at check in?
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clincher
...and in the rush to purchase the ticket to LCA I put my middle name and last name on the ticket. Domestically I have never had a problem. However, my passport has first, middle, last name.

So my ticket to LCA has
middle name, last name

passport has:
first name, middle name, last name

Do you think it will be a problem for me? Any suggestions on what steps I might take to avoid problem at check in?
If your frequent flyer mile cards, business card, credit/bank cards and/or some other ID shows that your middle name and first name is what you go by, then bring that along. I've seen people port along their high school/college facebooks/yearbooks or publications they've written that show their name de plume/de jour to be that way. In some places, people get documentation added to their passport saying that they are professionally known as XYZ, but that's not an option in most places.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
If your frequent flyer mile cards, business card, credit/bank cards and/or some other ID shows that your middle name and first name is what you go by, then bring that along. I've seen people port along their high school/college facebooks/yearbooks or publications they've written that show their name de plume/de jour to be that way. In some places, people get documentation added to their passport saying that they are professionally known as XYZ, but that's not an option in most places.
Thanks for the answer/help. I am not as worried now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.