Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was your longest flight on a narrow body plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

"I will have to fly all the way to Europe on a narrow body plane"? That was the comment to the Flight Attendant when a shocked passenger saw the small tin box he would be sitting in for the next eight hours. He was just shocked.

Just a few years ago, most flights to Europe or Hawaii seemed to be on the comfortable wide bodied 747's. Most non stop cross country flights also seemed use a wide body Airplane also. Though in recent years, more and more long overseas flights are now on narrow bodied- cramped- overcrowded flights.

What is the longest flight you have been on that used a narrow body plane?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 7:47 am

I think my longest is just FLL-LAX.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
CDG-TAS in an A319LR (3199 miles). Very nice flight, as it turned out, the business class product on AF Dedicate was a pleasant surprise.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
Sorry, only IAD-SFO (2410 mi) on an A319. Not too impressive.

It does appear that the amount of widebody service on routes of around 5 hours (transcons) has dimished. Perhaps this is the effect of LCCs and their frequent narrowbody service. The full service carriers are forced to increase frequency and shrink plane sizes.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:54 am

Newark to Lisbon on CO in coach, on a 757 with no empty seats. I was fortunate to have an aisle seat, but I wouldn't call it a great flight. Must be a good revenue source for CO if they can fill that plane most of the time.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
LAX-BOS on 757

That's prob as long/far as it goes ~ 2500+ miles
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Never went nostop to continental Europe or UK/Ireland on a narrow body, but I did BWI-KEF on a 757, 2762 miles. Trip was not to Iceland, though; I continued on to AMS (only another 1200-odd miles). Came back the same way. Although in Y on Icelandair, those flights were not nearly as bad as my SAN-ORD (1723 mi) on a jam-packed UA 757. Had an aisle seat but near the back of Y, and that seemed endless. I've also done LAX-ATL (1946 mi) on a DL 757. This was not as bad, near front in Y, aisle I think, and for once I slept quite a bit on the plane (was after NRT-LAX on the MD-11).
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Aer Lingus Platinum, Hilton Diamond
KEF - FLL and return on an Icelandair 757

Also MAN - MCO on a charter 757 many years ago, although that had a touchdown in Bangor, Maine, where we deplaned, cleared customs and immigration and had a chance to stretch our legs. IIRC the return was nonstop.

BTW, the Immigration officer at Bangor was the friendliest immigration officer I've ever encountered anywhere in the World...
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:15 am

MCO-CDG or ORY (can't remember)
DC-8, charter airline

I remember this flight because my Mom was all panicky when she saw the plane, and went up and asked the gate agent if that plane could make it all the way to France.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: CO Silver
IAH-ANC, 3266sm in a 757-200.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Aer Lingus Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLpax
MCO-CDG or ORY (can't remember)
DC-8, charter airline

I remember this flight because my Mom was all panicky when she saw the plane, and went up and asked the gate agent if that plane could make it all the way to France.
I forgot about my DC8 flight...Rich International Airlines, STN - MCO in 1989. One of the worst flights that I've ever been on. The plane looked like it was held together with sticky tape and elastic bands.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:24 am

SFO-YUL on an Air Canada A319.

Ed
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
LAX-BOS on 757

That's prob as long/far as it goes ~ 2500+ miles
757, BOS->SFO. Against the wind. 7 hours wheels up/down. With a lap infant.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
LH's Privatair

ORD-DUS (and return) 737LR, all Business Class - this was with LH (but they also now have it with Swiss and KLM).

I've never experienced in my entire life being thrown around in the middle of the Atlantic as I did with this small airplane. However, 1st class service. On the way there it was PACKED, on the return there were ten of us (out of forty seats).

UG
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
LIS-EWR, 7:50, 3384 miles on a 757-200. On the way to LIS, I had a whole row. On the way back, I think I had an empty middle next to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.