Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Blog: Thai Air Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Travel Blog: Thai Air Pricing Question

Long-time lurker, taking a year off from work to travel around Asia.

Have decided to document my exploits with a blog that I hope people may find interesting:

http://www.knifetricks.blogspot.com

The blog's primary topics will be sex, literature, intoxicants and politics. Currently, I am primarily blogging about all of the steps that need to be taken for a middle-aged white collar worker to just drop off the face of the earth for a year.

I have posted today about a Thai Air pricing policy that I thought was over the top and might be of interest to FTers as an intro to the blog.

Here's hoping everyone can take a year off mid-career!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 9:30 pm

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Didn't read all the postings on your blog but do you have a visa to come to Thailand or an onward ticket? Many countries don't need one (EU countries, US, etc.) because Thailand grants a 30 day stay on arrival but I think officially, you do need to have a ticket out of Thailand within that 30 days. IIRC at BKK, many of the Immigration desks say that you need to show passport, arrival card and return ticket. I've never seen anyone being asked for their return ticket but I have heard anecdotal stories about people being asked about this when checking in for their flight to Thailand.

If you don't have an onward ticket or are planning on leaving Thailand by land, it may be worth making a refundable booking just to get that evidence that you can get out the country within the time limit.

Last edited by grahamb; Apr 10, 2006 at 9:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 11, 2006, 6:04 am

I've been through BKK immigration dozens of times and have never been asked for a return ticket, so I wouldn't worry about this too much, although as you say overly zealous check-in staff may be a bigger problem. But a printout of an e-ticket should suffice -- I wonder if there's an online repository of fill-in-the-blank e-tickets out there on the Web somewhere?
Old Apr 11, 2006, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Onward Ticket

Excellent questions, given the disconnect between Thailand's law, Thailand's non-enforcement of its law, and the airline's enforcement of the law that Thailand chooses not to enforce.

I have posted a response in my blog:

www.knifetricks.blogspot.com

Peter Fallow

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.