Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

non-traditional ways for travelers to get around town...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

non-traditional ways for travelers to get around town...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped
And of course the best way to see a new city is by taking its local 26.2-mile foot tour, but unless you are a very elite Kenyan, that's not exactly "business" travel.
I went for a long run (though not quite 26.2) in Istanbul a few years back. The locals seemed to find the idea of a grown man in shorts odd, though not threatening - I was never hassled even verbally, let alone more directly. Just stared at a bit. Saw more of the place than I would have otherwise, thought the uphill run to my Taksim Square hotel at the end, alongside poorly-maintained diesel buses, was not exactly a highlight. I'm told you can run across the Bosporus bridge by prior arrangement, but I wasn't there for long enough to check out this possibility. All in all, a good way to see the geography of a city if you don't plan on going into buildings. (FWIW, I am neither Kenyan nor an elite runner by any standard, though I have some age-group trophies to show off.)
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA
The Segways are fun, but you can't carry much with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.