Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever seen Air Force One in real life?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever seen Air Force One in real life?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
saw both the old (707) af1 and the new (747) af1.

the old af1 was during the bicentennial when high school sweetie and i bicycled out from newton to concord green for some of the festivities and af1 did a low and slow pass and a wing-wag (president ford was in boston for the "opening of the bicentennial festivities in 1975). it was kinda neat as they announced that af1 would do a low pass so we all stood up and clapped and waved when it flew over and that's when the wing-wag happened.

the new af1 was when president clinton was in sf and it took off from sfo. i had an old scanner at the time and could pick up the tower so when it took off and turned west, i hopped out on my balcony and there it was climbing out over sf-it was a trip to listen to the controllers take a different "attitude" when communicating w/af1. the one cool transmission was , "departure, air force one out of 2,000 wanting higher" with the response was "air force one, bay deaprture, roger-climb and maintain flight level 23-0 and resume maximum speed". it was the "wanting" higher as opposed to "requesting/looking for higher" and resume "maximum" speed as opposed to "normal speed" which i thought was interesting (and especially at only 2,000 feet and also right over the city)
Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:26 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
in athens

had to go to Greece for a funeral about seven years ago and landed in the old Athens airport...Unfortunately Air Force One was right behind me and the very tight Greek security closed down pretty much everything for many hours and was stuck in that smoky airport for several hours and had to stay overnight because I missed the last train to another town...Needless to say, I just barely made it for the funeral the next day...Some Greeks wanted to get to Clinton, me too
Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:46 pm

at LEX

While Pres. Bush was in Lexington on a campaign stop about 2 years ago they had Air Force One parked near the GA ramp. Was close enough I could have snapped a really nice picture, except I was working and didn't have a camera with me. Was perhaps a hundred feet from the rental car lot.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brassai
BONUS TRIVIA QUESTION:
At any given point in time, Airforce one has taken off at least one more times than it has ever landed. How can this be?
I believe Richard Nixon was airborne en route from Andrews AFB to El Toro MCAS when his resignation took effect at noon EDT on August 9, 1974. The aircraft would have lost the call sign "Air Force One" in midflight at 1600Z.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:00 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I saw it a few weeks back when GWB was at MCO on a fundraising rally in WDW
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:01 pm

BONUS TRIVIA QUESTION:
At any given point in time, Airforce one has taken off at least one more times than it has ever landed. How can this be?
D.
Is it because Johnson was sworn in as President while the JFK's body was being transported aboard Air Force One, which stopped being Air Force One then?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:19 pm

The flight path into Boeing Field in Seattle is right by where I work. I have seen AF1 and AF2 come in many times over the last 15 years. Once it is on the ground they roll it into a hanger.

I have seen a wide variety of planes from all over the world fly into BFI.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:23 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
About a year ago (I think) parked at DTW off to the side of 21L/3R - from the roof of the McNamara garage. Not too close.

Off topic, but passed Clinton's motorcade on I-94 in Macomb County, MI one time - probably heading to Selfridge. I could not figure out why there was no eastbound traffic (I was westbound) until I saw the limos, SUVs, police,... Funny part was that when they released the stopped traffic behind the motorcade, the first two vehicles were a school bus and beer truck - made me think of the scene from Airplane!
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:28 pm
nfc

Programs: WN AList; Delta Nada; Hilton DIamond; Marriot Gold
I've had the opportunity to see the both the 707 and 747 with POTUS onboard. In addition, I had an office at MKC that, from across the runway, looked right into the hanger where Marine One sits when the President is in Kansas City. It's pretty impressive seeing all the logistics that go into a Presidential visit.

Also, I live directly under an approach path into McConnell AFB in Wichita. McConnell is where the VC-25As' interiors were completed and ongoing maintenance is performed. The VC-25As are in and out of here on a regular basis. One thing I've noticed is that they seem much more quiet than a standard 747.

BONUS TRIVIA QUESTION:
Thanks to former President Nixon for this one. The 707 in use at the time of his resignation took off with the call sign of 'Air Force One' and switched to 'SAM 27000' while in flight.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Saw it parked on the southeast end of YYC in late-June 2002 when the now G.W.Bush came to Calgary for the G-8 meeting in Kananaskis, Alberta. Lots of secret service, military (both Canadian/American) presence, as well as many other dignitary jets from the rest of the G-8 (ie Vladamir Putin, T. Blair, etc.) Many Calgarians lined upon McKnight Blvd leading up to the end of the runway just to watch AF1 land... it was quite an experience for our city. ^

Last edited by Insiderdude; Apr 8, 2006 at 11:01 pm Reason: Add
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey
I was at our corporate hanger...
Wow, that big company of yours only has one coat hanger and you all have to share it?

Do you have any airplane hangars?
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:33 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
Not AF1 no but I have been in the Blackhawks that they use for VIP transport and emergency evacuation.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:35 pm

Driving along I-95 when I saw it come in for landing at the Philadelphia international sometime last year.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Tstc

Originally Posted by bla_bla
what is the closest you have got near it?
Landed at TSTC (Waco Regional) on a touch and go whilst doing my inital training for my PPL when GWB was home on the ranch - P49. This was before 9/11. I'd post pics if I knew how....

- Tim
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:31 pm

I've seen it a few times as it's flown overhead coming in and out of Andrews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.