Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Smallest/Most obscure airline you've flown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smallest/Most obscure airline you've flown?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Bearskin Airlines

http://www.bearskinairlines.com

They used to have a great service between Toronto-Buttonville and Ottawa, on a 9-seat single-engine Pilatus PC12. Bypassing Toronto-Pearson was awesome.

Last time I took it we were 3 passengers, outnumbered by the 4 people manning the security checkpoint.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:25 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia, United, Delta, Qantas, Air Canada
Pacific Coastal YVR-YPW
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Air Nefretiti from Cairo to Aswan in the early 80's.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Great Lakes Aviation (to get to Denver from Laramie, and vica versa), ATA.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), AS MVPG, DL DM, HH Dia(life), Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Air Nevada - Maui to Molokai late 1990's
Old Apr 10, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Tejas Air. They used to run twin engine I don't remember what's between CRP and SAT WAAAYY back when.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 5:05 pm

We have a whole bunch of little airlines around here going interisland or to Florida

Abaco Air
Major's Air Service
Vintage Props and Jets
Island Air
Ah, yes. Unfortunate necessities for those of us who won't/can't put up with Bahamasair.

The Stella Maris Inn has run an intermittent commercial service between MYLS and NAS with a variety of twin-engined aircraft for many years. I'm not sure it has a formal designation, and prices have always varied, as have the various airplanes' state of repair.

The scariest flight that I ever took out of NAS was on a Rich International flight in the '70s. Come to think of it, that was the last time I can remember flying in a DC-3.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Ah, you beat me to it. I flew Maya Island Air from Belize City to San Pedro in 1999. It was a single engine Cessna with one pilot. The co-pilot's seat was sold to passengers. For air conditioning, you opened the window. On the return flight (20 minutes), there was a stopover on Caye Caulker. And then there was Eddie's Bar in the departure area at BZE...
Ah yes, Eddie's Bar, with "Eddie" coming into the departure lounge to talk to people (read: Ramble Incoherently) when no one would patronize his establishment.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada
Old Apr 10, 2006, 7:34 pm

Programs: CX Silver
Guam-based Freedom Air , on both their Piper Cherokee 6-seater service between Saipan and Tinian (TIQ), and their Shorts 360 service between Guam and Rota (ROP).

The SPN-TIQ flight is scheduled at 10 minutes, but generally takes less than that. On the flight down, you fly directly over the runways that the Enola Gay and Bock's Car used to take off on their bombing missions to Japan.

Rent a car on Tinian and you can hurtle down the disused Runway Alpha yourself (it's well north of Tinian's current airport). I always drive the runway slowly once, checking for potholes, stray dogs, etc., then turn around and speed towards take-off in my rental car at 120 mph.

Last edited by MisterTanaka; Apr 10, 2006 at 7:34 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Business Express in the early 70s.

At the time they flew twin engine Navajos between New Haven, Bridgeport, and Albany.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:43 am

Programs: WorldPerks, Continental
Mustique and Tropic Air

I flew Mustique airways from BGI to Union Island in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, which was cramped, but otherwise fine, it was a 6 seater.

The weirdest small airline experience I had was flying Tropic Air from Belize city to Flores, Guatemala. It was just me and the pilot in a 4 seater cessna. He told me to sit co-pilot, and we proceeded to taxi on the runway behind an AA 757. It was a very different perspective to be on the runway like that.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 8:35 am

Olympus Airline- Athens to JFK an atrocious, pardon my expression "third world experience" back in the mid 90s
Old Apr 12, 2006, 9:12 am

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC Green
Air Mandalay. Yangon-Chiang Mai
NEPC Airlines. Trichy-Chennai

Last edited by Jamoldo; Apr 14, 2006 at 12:36 pm Reason: addition of content
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Aerotours
a french student charter "airline", with i think one caravelle, 1977...

i was ticketed Paris/London, but didn't go at the last minute due to airport worker's strike.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I haven't flown anyone as remotely obscure as you lot! My best is Liat between ANU and EIS and every hole in the hedge in between!

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Back in the early 1980s there was an operation called (if I remember correctly) Capital Air Shuttle; it folded after less than a year, maybe less than six months.

<snip>

If it hasn't been, I don't want to know, even though the statute of limitations on what these guys did probably ran out long ago.
Superb ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.