Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do teenage girls carry full-size pillows through the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do teenage girls carry full-size pillows through the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now I'm a bit older, I've filled out a bit. This means seats are much more comfortable as my bones don't stick out the way they used to.

As teenage girls are often scrawny, I'd imagine they can use a pillow to cushion the hard corners on airline seats, or place it in front of their knees and rest their legs against the seat back in front of them.

I used to take my shoes off on flights and rest my feet on my seat so that my knees were tucked against my chin, and lean sideways onto the fuselage/window so that I can sleep upright; embryonic style. I'd tuck coats and pillows next to me so that the arm rests wouldn't dig into me.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
Amber, Tiffini said she is bringing her fav pillow on the class trip to Buffalo. OMG!, Shayla just told me that her Katalin and Deena are doing the same!. SHUT UP!, I think I'm going to wear my flannel PJ's to the airport, I just love to be comfy! Were just the best cheerleading squad EVER!
Really, I don't know whether to laugh or be worried about the OP.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:41 pm

Amber, Tiffini said she is bringing her fav pillow on the class trip to Buffalo. OMG!, Shayla just told me that her Katalin and Deena are doing the same!. SHUT UP!, I think I'm going to wear my flannel PJ's to the airport, I just love to be comfy! Were just the best cheerleading squad EVER!
And now that it is the season for high school trips to DC, this and similar bits of logorrhea will be playing in a Metro station near you
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:04 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Finally a useful topic besides the "Have you ever" barrage.

Why do teenage girls carry full-size pillows through the airport? Because they're stupid twits!
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
But one of the reasons I refuse to fly SWA is the stupidity of those traveling with what seems to be a whole"bed in a bag"as well as stuffed animals and overstuffed shopping bags.Far too Grapes of Wrath for my tastes
Post of the week.

I'm guilty of flying with a pillow occasionally - usually when I'm stuck on a red eye flight on these pillowless domestic flights when I'm going to have to go to a meeting that following morning and need to be somewhat fresh. I typically stop and buy one though as opposed to bringing one from home.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by sarahkirschbaum
I seem these girls all the time. I'm not really sure how they can be comfortable in coach seats with full-size pillows...

However, that's not the worst thing. I've see college-age girls change into Hello Kitty PJs during a flight from MIA to CDG. Yes, even pink Hello Kitty slippers... Is this now socially acceptable to the flying public?
Seconded on both points. I've seen teenage girls walking around the airport in their PJs, what's up with that? And yeah, a full size pillow seems rather unwieldly in an econ seat.

To each their own I guess.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
I got stuck in Paris on a bumped flight with a girl with a pillow last week. We were standing in line waiting to get our (750$) vouchers and I finally had to ask her about it.
She had been to the UK and France on this trip and she told me that it was super handy with all of the odd places and friends beds in which she had to sleep. She also had an entire blanket that she had stuffed inside of the pillow.

"So its worth all the effort of dragging that entire pillow around the entire continent?"
Absolutely, she said, absolutely.

Personally, I like having my hands free when I'm backpacking around, but I guess girls just like having that comfort near them.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 2:46 pm

Gross-What about Lice?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:21 pm

Programs: AF-PC; UA Plat ; QA Gold; Etihad Gold ; EK Silver; HH Diamond; Accor Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat; Mov G
you solved it!

Originally Posted by hairpeace
Not really, I've seen Paris Hilton do it.
That's it HP, Paris does it, so teen girl's copy! Question solved.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:31 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
OMG!!! PILLOWS!!!(PONIES!)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:46 pm

A very timely thread. On a WN flight last week from ONT-PHX, I saw a girl (15-16?) across the aisle clutching her pillow. She wasn't using it to sleep, just seemingly as a security blanket. Saw her in baggage claim, so she wasn't connecting on a longer flight.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:51 pm

I asked my skinny daughter, and she said "so I can sleep." She pointed out that the chairs at the gates are hard, the seats on the airplane are hard, and the armrests are hard. (I guess there's enough room for her and her pillow--but I wouldn't be able to.)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by redbeard911
My grown wife does the same thing, only she keeps the pillow in a bag until she gets on the flight. She also hates hotel pillows, so brings her own.
So does my wife. By contrast, I have trouble sleeping on flights.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by vrv2764
That's usually pretty hot, so I'm all for it.

(only on the 18 and over teenagers 'though)
Particularly if they're hanging low on the hips (which is often the case).
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:14 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Too funny! I just got home 60 minutes ago. After landing this evening and navigating the D Concourse of IAD, I noticed a group of about a dozen teen girls all carrying full-sized pillows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.