Wiki Posts
Search

Cellphone 'OFF' on Ramp?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Cellphone 'OFF' on Ramp?

Coming back to ATL from IAD last night, upon landing we got the usual schpiel about being able to use cell phones but no other electronic devices. Anyhow, so I was on my phone as I deplaned the CRJ (and walked down the stairs and to the cart with the gate checked baggage) and all of a sudden one woman--who seemed more like a GA than ground crew, because of the lack of safety gear and ground uniform--stared me down and said "turn it off". I responded "excuse me?" and she said "turn off your cell phone you're not allowed to be on it." So not being a n00b, I kinda brushed it off and said okay and grabbed my luggage and as I was proceeding to say goodbye, she ran over to me and said "no cell phones while you're on the ramp, it's a security hazard." and then began to raise her voice and yell "now. turn it off NOW." So I just hung up the phone, walked up the 20 stairs, and got back on the phone.

So my question to you all - has this ever happened before? I fly a LOT of these CRJ routes which require you to get deplane and walk to the gate (IAD, ORD, ATL, etc.) and have flown over numerous numerous segments IAD-ATL-IAD and never experienced this.

My other question is - how is this a security hazard? We're allowed to use cell phones while on the plane, and again as soon as you're in the jetway, but why not on the ground? Better yet, why have I never been stopped before? Was she just having a bad day?

Cheers~
/s
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is BS. I have never, ever heard this before. I guess this is just one of those people for whom everything is a "safety issue."
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Like you, I've never had a problem before, so I would assume that she just had a bad day. Either that, or none of the other FAs/GAs have ever cared about me being on my phone during the deplaning process... :|
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Unless someone knows something I don't, that's a bunch of $(#&. The FAR states that once the cabin door is closed at departure, your phone goes off. After landing, you can use it after you clear the active runway. I'm 99.9% certain that GA was out of line.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:09 am
Original Poster

That's what I figured. I have never ever heard this before, and I'm no rookie to the whole planing/deplaning process. Still though - a bad day does not excuse her for her behavior. I felt bad last night that I yelled back, but now I don't feel so bad...I'm glad I gave her a piece of my mind (I was civil, yet stern. I don't believe in bringing myself down to stupid people's level and yelling at them.)
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reminds me of when I was at LAX a few months ago. I was taking some pictres, as I always do, and one of those ladies who drives the golf cart for old people told me that photography is absolutely prohibited at all airports in the US, and that I should put my camera away immediately, or else I would get "in serious trouble." Needless to say, I continued taking pictures as I knew this lady was full of it. She drove by a bit later and gave me another speech, and I asked her since when this rule existed. She said that "my president" has had it ever since 9/11. Fun times!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Reminds me of when I was at LAX a few months ago. I was taking some pictres, as I always do, and one of those ladies who drives the golf cart for old people told me that photography is absolutely prohibited at all airports in the US, and that I should put my camera away immediately, or else I would get "in serious trouble." Needless to say, I continued taking pictures as I knew this lady was full of it. She drove by a bit later and gave me another speech, and I asked her since when this rule existed. She said that "my president" has had it ever since 9/11. Fun times!
to her, ^ to you.

People like that feel entitled to go on a power trip once they put on the uniform. There's no excuse for poor behavior and poor representation of your company (and this has been discussed numerous times here on f=504). Little do those employees know that some FTers are more knowledgeable about policies and procesures than they are.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Gold 5*
Wasn't there a rule (maybe like the shoe rule) for a while that you couldn't use your cell phone while in the security line? I don't see anything about it now on tsa.gov. I know there used to be a sign about not using cell phones in the customs lines.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:18 am

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
could it be that the fueling truck was around? just playing the devils advocate and maybe this is the reason. Doesnt excuse the way she said it but this could be possible?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rw55
Wasn't there a rule (maybe like the shoe rule) for a while that you couldn't use your cell phone while in the security line? I don't see anything about it now on tsa.gov. I know there used to be a sign about not using cell phones in the customs lines.
If so, it was clearly just to speed up the process and not for any safety reason. If every person if preoccupied with their phones, the lines would take even longer.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boycruz
could it be that the fueling truck was around? just playing the devils advocate and maybe this is the reason. Doesnt excuse the way she said it but this could be possible?
Maybe I am missing something, but what does a fueling truck have to do with a cell phone?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Gold 5*
Maybe I am missing something, but what does a fueling truck have to do with a cell phone?
There's an urban legend that refueling your car with your cell phone on can cause an explosion. Studies have actually never shown it to occur. See Snopes if you want to see the legend.

I assume that's the source of the question.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
There have been reports of explosions at gas stations when people using their cell phones are fueling their personal vehicles. Something about a static charge igniting the combustible fuel.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Saying it's a "security hazard" is stupid, but I have seen people who have been on cell phones wander around on the ramp because they aren't paying attention. But I'm also pretty sure even without the cell phone they would be doing the same thing
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.