Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the longest trip you've taken with just carry-on luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

Just curious.

Longest I've done is a week. I've got a 22-day, 3-city marathon coming up, and I'm hoping to get by with one carryon (and a lot of hotel laundry).

Anyone ever done more than 2 weeks?
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes more than 22 days and more than 3 cities, and plenty of others have too.

Once was involuntary (airline lost my bag on the first flight ) but other times my choice.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:56 pm
Suspended

18 days with just carryon
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:59 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
9 days is the most I've ever managed. I tend to travel with a lot of books, and that makes it worth checking stuff in...
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22 days through southern Spain and Morroco.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:36 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I leave for all my month-long trips with just carry-ons ... coming home's another story.

The lightest I ever packed was on a 7-day cycling trip (if you don't include sending my bike air cargo) - I had one small panier in which I put a dress and sandals and a change of bike shorts, socks and jersey along with toiletries.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Seven months for me - carry-on backpack and small daypack.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I don't know how you all do it. I have a friend that travels with only carry-ons even for 2-3 week trips. I guess I just bring too much junk. For a week trip, I'll bring two suitcases. Only for 2-4 day trips can I bring just one check-in bag.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The real trick is to do multiple climates with only carry-on. I've done summer & winter on the same trip (over 100F range in city temperatures) with only carry-on including coat/hat/gloves (essential on the cold end). Trick is to use high-tech fabrics (microfiber, goretex, etc.), also quick-drying socks and underwear, plus watch the weight. Every item has to be able to mix/match so you get multiple uses. Luckily that particular trip was entirely in F so I could get by with a garment bag along with a carryon.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:17 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I don't know how you all do it. I have a friend that travels with only carry-ons even for 2-3 week trips. I guess I just bring too much junk. For a week trip, I'll bring two suitcases. Only for 2-4 day trips can I bring just one check-in bag.
Do you use everything you bring? One tip I learned a long time ago was to make a list when I got home of the things I did/didn't use on the trip. Even bringing carry-ons only, I still find I over pack and come home with things I never wore.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Smile

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
The secret is knowing that wherever one travels, no matter how remote or foreign, there is someone there who will do your laundry.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by letiole
Do you use everything you bring? One tip I learned a long time ago was to make a list when I got home of the things I did/didn't use on the trip. Even bringing carry-ons only, I still find I over pack and come home with things I never wore.
I dont write out a list but I do take a mental note. It does seem to help. That said it can be taken too far - like the time I had tropics and northern winter in the same trip and didnt have a winter coat brrrrr.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:41 pm

1 carryon, 30 days, 4 countries.

However the things that always trip me up are books and shoes. I never have enough room especially since it's becoming hard to find those compact paperbacks (has anyone else noticed that paperbacks are getting larger? Not lengthwise but format-wise? anyway).
Old Mar 26, 2006, 6:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
The real trick is to do multiple climates with only carry-on. I've done summer & winter on the same trip (over 100F range in city temperatures) with only carry-on including coat/hat/gloves (essential on the cold end). Trick is to use high-tech fabrics (microfiber, goretex, etc.), also quick-drying socks and underwear, plus watch the weight. Every item has to be able to mix/match so you get multiple uses. Luckily that particular trip was entirely in F so I could get by with a garment bag along with a carryon.
Yes, I did the Alps and the Sin DO in that order for January. Although it was not my longest trip it was the first time for two exteme climates and was the most dificult.
I got some great drip-dry shirts custom made in HKG last year and they also make a great difference.
Old Mar 26, 2006, 7:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by BillScann
The secret is knowing that wherever one travels, no matter how remote or foreign, there is someone there who will do your laundry.
Just like at home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.