Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chinese Transit Visa (connecting through PVG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese Transit Visa (connecting through PVG)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2006, 1:33 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Yep, I've used Travisa in Washington and they've done a good job. I think they also have offices in CA (but you just mail everything in anyway).
Old Mar 10, 2006, 3:47 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Talking

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Must deliver in person to consulate for request.
Can have anyone deliver and pickup the passport. A vendor of mine from Taiwan owns a factory in China. When she was returning to China she had some kind of visa expiration problem...so Chinese Entry and Exit people made her stay in some hotel by the airport ( I don't think it was a locked down facility?) then she had to fly to Hong Kong to get a visa then back to PVG to get entry.

I f you have a visa you sail right thru...otherwise the department for transit visas could be closed for unspecified reasons. Like they issued a lot of transit visas that day and decided to go home early.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 6:13 pm

Coming a little late to the party here, but I transitted PVG last Sept. coming in from CPH with SK armed with only a fax from DL stating I held an e-ticket award reservation on KE to ICN. The Chinese immigration officer was a little confused by my documents but a quick chat with a supervisor cleared things up and I was sent on my way. It does work.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by karung99
Could you go out and stay over night in Shanghai without visa?
Yes -- have used done this several times. Very convenient for short business trips.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 8:36 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by YYZC2
The Chinese immigration officer
Technically speaking the person is with the Public Safety Bureau, Entry and Exit Department. China has no immigration policy , foreigners for all practical purposes can not "settle" there.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I would be more concerned about whether the airline will let you fly. It's on them if you arrive without the proper documentation, and they can say no flight without a visa, even if you don't really need it because you're passing through. I would leave extra time at the airport for the potential confusion.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:02 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Technically speaking the person is with the Public Safety Bureau, Entry and Exit Department. China has no immigration policy , foreigners for all practical purposes can not "settle" there.

Actually one can get permanent residency status in China, although the process is complicated. On can also obtain a foreign residence permit if one is on a long term contractual assignment with a China based company which can be foreign owned.

I spent four years in China under the latter status and am considering pursuit of permanent residency status sometime later this year after I get my foreign expert designation.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:05 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jet Yi
Actually one can get permanent residency status in China, although the process is complicated. On can also obtain a foreign residence permit if one is on a long term contractual assignment with a China based company which can be foreign owned.

I spent four years in China under the latter status and am considering pursuit of permanent residency status sometime later this year after I get my foreign expert designation.

When they implemented the green card a few years ago I checked this out as this would be an asset to have when investing substantial capital in Chinese enterprises. After much investigation I found that 9 out of 10 who inquire about it don't qualify and 9 out of 10 who qualify and submit the application are not approved. I understand that the PSB has only issued around 700 total in a country of 1.3 billion. But read a few months ago that they may revise the qualifications due to complaints the requirements are much to limiting. ^
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Then please explain the difference between "immigration" and "naturalization."
Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Then please explain the difference between "immigration" and "naturalization."
Immigration

IMMIGRATION
-To enter and settle in a country or region to which one is not native

NATURALIZATION
- To grant full citizenship to (one of foreign birth).

China does not accept dual citizenship. I don't personally know anyone who traded in a Blue passport for a Red one.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 5:17 pm

Get the visa. I know of someone who tried to transit without the transit visa in PVG, and while he eventually was allowed to transit, he went through a lot of hassle. I don't know if it changed since he went there (he never went back after that experience), but it did not sound like a nice experience at all...
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, 1K, Marriott Gold
Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's help! I think i will just go ahead and get the visa to play it safe since i dont want to take any chance missing my connection to ORD.
Old Mar 13, 2006, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I have been under the impression getting a visa in the US is a pain. Must deliver in person to consulate for request. That still the case?
I did it several years ago by US mail.

The consulate called me and chewed me out over the phone because I left my wifes occupation blank on the application.

-David
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

The consulate called me and chewed me out over the phone because I left my wifes occupation blank on the application.

-David
It's better to be chewed out over the phone at home rather than getting chewed out at PVG wondering whether you'll make your connection...
Old Mar 14, 2006, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
You cannot mail in the application - don't know the rules from before but you (or someone to represent you) must drop it off in person. There is some sort of mail back option that I'll be looking into, but for the 'drop off' it is just not an option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.