Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where do passengers ride in the front seat of a taxi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do passengers ride in the front seat of a taxi?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Female. For stranger danger reasons I ride in the back.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Bumping 13 year old thread

I understand the "Alert Mod" or, as they were formerly known as "Report Bad Posts."
I am going to let this 13 year old bumped thread remain. This is still relevant and kudos to the new OP for doing a search.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
smc333 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Edward Hamm
In Mexico, a solo male passenger will sit in the front, while ladies usually take the back seat.
This is information I did not know. Thanks for sharing and including a bunch of useful info in a thread I had not read.

I'm curious... what is this complicated protocol of who sits where in Korea or Japan?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I read most of this thread wondering who no one had brought up whether an Uber/Lyft/Careem/Didi/etc. had different local protocols than taxis. The world has changed a lot in 13 years.

Lyft famously tried to convince people to ride up front when they launched, but have since dropped that. With ridesharing still being kind of grey market in places, I can see where the drivers might actually prefer having a front seat rider.

The only difference for me is when there are three of us traveling. In markets where it's normal to stay in the back of a taxi, we'll all squeeze in the back. But in any kind of rideshare, I'm heading straight for the front passenger door and letting the other two people ride in the back in comfort. (I'm always the tallest of the three.)

This thread is helpful to know there are more places where cabbies are actually cool with front-seat riders, even solos. I honestly didn't know that and feel like I should add it to the list of things I check up on before future trips to new places.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:39 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

In some places that I’ve traveled, where taxis hailed off of the street might be shared (Oman- possibly to let women/and their children sit in the back, and the Marshall Islands come to mind), I sit in the front. Ride-sharing, always try the front. Generally, I get in the back.

Though, now that some folks have reminded me, I always was asked to sit in the front in Saudi Arabia and Turkey, too.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Independent
This is another one of those reasons why I think Americans are afraid to travel to other countries - all this over where to sit in a taxi?

Personally I prefer sitting in front, but have always sat in the back because I always thought it would make the drive more uncomfortable. I have to say I don't think I was ever taken advantage of. But next time I will think about the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.