Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where do passengers ride in the front seat of a taxi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2006, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

In my experience, in Australia and New Zealand, passengers--at least, lone men--are expected to ride in the front seat of a taxi next to the driver. It's an indication of egalitarianism--the driver will think you're stuck up if you sit in back.

Do you know of anywhere else in the world where this is expected? It's certainly not expected in the United States, where I live. And does anybody know, when a lone man is expected to sit in the front, is that the expectation for lone women too? Or for two people traveling together--are they expected to sit separately so that one is in front with the driver, or can they sit together in back?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: star alliance
It's very common and almost expected in mini cabs in Scotland that you would sit in front.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't know if it's the norm, but in Ireland, a taxi driver asked me to sit up front. Having just gotten off of my flight from BOS, I immediately proceeded to the driver's side door.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've seen this in many places in the middle east and eastern europe. Interesting in that NY cabbies - who often come from those places - generally grumble at having to move their stuff if you want to sit up front...

A side note is that I've found that you are much less likely to be taken for a ride if you sit in the front in places where it is the norm. Whether they just think you're watching more closely or just more familiar with the place, I've almost never had a problem when I was in the front seat.

In Istanbul, where male pax always ride in the front, virtually every time a colleague or visitor reports being taken for a ride, I ask and they tell me they were sitting in the back.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by muzski
It's very common and almost expected in mini cabs in Scotland that you would sit in front.
Same for minicabs in London, on the rare occasions that I've been in them.

It's something to do with it looking to the police like the driver's giving a "friend" (ie the passenger) a lift, so as to reduce the likelihood that the police will pull them over, and therefore reducing the likelihood that the police will discover that the driver does not have "hire and reward" insurance to cover running the car as a minicab.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:47 am

Programs: FB GLD, AA GLD, HH Silver, UA GM
It's not unsual to sit in the passenger seat in Germany. Haven't seen it in France though
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:36 am

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
If you're the only passenger, it's considered impolite to sit in the back in The Netherlands. You're supposed to sit in front and chat about football/taxes/girls/etc. with the driver.

Totally different in Portugal, England, many cities in the US, and all the other places where the drivers hide behind bulletproof glass constructions.

Was in a cab from Cayenne (French Guyana) to Rochambeau Airport to catch an evening flight to ORY. The cabby started driving slower and slower and hit the breaks every time a car approached with the headlights aimed at us. Turned out the driver was night-blind.

We swapped seats, I drove the taxi to the airport, and negotiated a huge discount off the metered fare.

I wonder if he managed to get back home. There were no arriving flights with passengers to drive him.

--

edit: The flight was CAY-PBM, not CAY-ORY. It was many brain cells ago...

Last edited by Diabo; Mar 6, 2006 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SJC1K
In my experience, in Australia and New Zealand, passengers--at least, lone men--are expected to ride in the front seat of a taxi next to the driver. It's an indication of egalitarianism--the driver will think you're stuck up if you sit in back.
How odd. The drivers in NYC like not having a perfect stranger sit right next to them but of course will make the front seat available if requested. Now that to me makes sense.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
In Istanbul, where male pax always ride in the front, virtually every time a colleague or visitor reports being taken for a ride, I ask and they tell me they were sitting in the back.
You're absolutely right. My mother and I saw this firsthand when we were in Istanbul together in 2000. Once my mother began to sit up front with the driver, we were driven the quickest way to our destination. ^
Old Mar 6, 2006, 9:06 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Definitely not in Paris. You are supposed to sit in the back.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:25 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
Front seat in Colombia
Old Mar 6, 2006, 2:25 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Diabo

Totally different in Portugal, England, many cities in the US, and all the other places where the drivers hide behind bulletproof glass constructions.
England is variable. Some places you are expected to sit up front, some you aren't. My rule of thumb is to look at the front seat, if it is pushed back, with nothing on it, then I'll sit in the front, if the seat is forward or with stuff on it, I'll go for the back. And if in doubt, I go for the back.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:03 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Originally Posted by Diabo
If you're the only passenger, it's considered impolite to sit in the back in The Netherlands. You're supposed to sit in front and chat about football/taxes/girls/etc. with the driver.

Was in a cab from Cayenne (French Guyana) to Rochambeau Airport to catch an evening flight to ORY. The cabby started driving slower and slower and hit the breaks every time a car approached with the headlights aimed at us. Turned out the driver was night-blind.

We swapped seats, I drove the taxi to the airport, and negotiated a huge discount off the metered fare.

I wonder if he managed to get back home. There were no arriving flights with passengers to drive him.

--

edit: The flight was CAY-PBM, not CAY-ORY. It was many brain cells ago...
I'm pretty sure the screens in the limos aren't bullet proof- they are more privacy screens for the comfort of the passenger, especially in NYC, where the passenger will often be a businessman/woman/lawyer, who is doing work in the backseat, or is making phonecalls.

*edit- stupid me, we weren't talking about limos, we were talking about taxis- Yes, in taxis the partitions are bullet proof to protect the driver- and yes, they are required by law.

Last edited by sany2; Mar 6, 2006 at 5:09 pm
Old Mar 6, 2006, 5:44 pm

If its a large group and people and the backseat is full people have rode in the front. I've seen this in Canada and the US.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 6:27 pm
Suspended

If I am not mistaken, in South Korea, there are elaborate protocols to where to sit in a private car. I don't know the rules about taxis.

In South Korea, I believe that the guest of honor is supposed to sit in the back opposite the driver. Then, there is a pecking order to where the next 3 people should sit.

Anyone have further info?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.