Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where do passengers ride in the front seat of a taxi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do passengers ride in the front seat of a taxi?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:14 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

Originally Posted by seat 50J
If I am not mistaken, in South Korea, there are elaborate protocols to where to sit in a private car. I don't know the rules about taxis.

In South Korea, I believe that the guest of honor is supposed to sit in the back opposite the driver. Then, there is a pecking order to where the next 3 people should sit.

Anyone have further info?
Are you thinking of Japan, because *THAT* social pecking order is used there.

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
A) I'd be surprised if the partitions in NYC were actually bulletproof, though it's certainly possible. Everywhere else I've ever seen them, they're about 1/4 inch thick and really there to stop pax from reaching over and/or stabbing the driver.

B) I always ride in the front seat of cabs in Israel. I wouldn't say it's expected, but it's definitely more fun, assuming you can keep your eyes open.

I'm more curious to know whether being a taxi driver is a respected profession in all of those other countries.

I don't think you're going to be confused with a corporate executive if driving a cab in Israel, but it's a real job there, not something you just do after getting off the boat, or only if you're a night owl. It's about as close to a profession as you can get without requiring an education of some kind. I think Israeli cab drivers probably have the best life. They sit around and argue with each other and eat sunflower seeds when they're not busy.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:00 am

Programs: United MP
On every cab ride I've taken (mostly in Denmark, but also once here in DC) I rode up front.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:08 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by Diabo
If you're the only passenger, it's considered impolite to sit in the back in The Netherlands. You're supposed to sit in front and chat about football/taxes/girls/etc. with the driver.
That's how it is in both Germany and Switzerland as well. I also pefer to sit in the front because it's easier to give directions in case the driver doesn't know the exact place you want to go (i.e. he knows XYZ Street, but not #57 XYZ Street) and you will recognize it on sight.

In Shanghai, you're supposed to sit in the back, apparently, but I always sat in the front because the drivers never understood me when I tried to pronounce the street name in Mandarin, and even if they understood it correctly, they often had no idea where it was. Thankfully they understood me when I said "Left", "right" or "straight" in Mandarin. But you really have to be in the front seat and paying attention if you want to do that.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sany2
Yes, in taxis the partitions are bullet proof to protect the driver- and yes, they are required by law.
I rarely see the partition fully closed. It's usually over 1/2 open. On many cabs, there isn't even a partition anymore.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always sit in the front in Guangzhou, even though the sign on the door forbids men from sitting in the front seat. I feel like its easier to direct the driver if he gets "lost". Also I don't like the feeling of being in jail that I get from sitting behind the steel cage drivers have separating them from the back gates.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:58 am

Programs: CO Platinum, Avianca Platinum Exec
Originally Posted by Analise
I rarely see the partition fully closed. It's usually over 1/2 open. On many cabs, there isn't even a partition anymore.

1. Partitions aren't required on cabs that are owner-operated. Only the leasing companies need to provide a partition.

2. Cabbies don't like to close the partition because experience shows they get smaller tips when the partition is shut.

3. Partitions are NOT bullet-proof; they are made from bullet-resistant material.

4. When a passenger can ride up front is subject to interpretation. I was with two other big guys once and they sat in the back and I went to the front. The cabbie started balking that I had to sit in the back. After several exchanges, he saw it my way.

The Taxi and Limousine Commission's (TLC) rules state that a passenger who is unable to enter or ride in the passenger part of the taxicab must be permitted to occupy the front seat alongside the driver.

To me that means if there are two fat guys in the back, I can ride up front - but if my fat friends aren't with me, I ride in the back.
smc333 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: star alliance
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Same for minicabs in London, on the rare occasions that I've been in them.

It's something to do with it looking to the police like the driver's giving a "friend" (ie the passenger) a lift, so as to reduce the likelihood that the police will pull them over, and therefore reducing the likelihood that the police will discover that the driver does not have "hire and reward" insurance to cover running the car as a minicab.
I just don't get the whole London minicab thing, why the hell are these cars not licensed with visible plates. It's just crazy in this day and age that this is allowed.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
There are licensed minicab companies, but they generally stick to the rule that they're not allowed to pick up on the street. Only black cabs can do that. The dodgy minicabs are the ones whose drivers are standing on the street trying to get your business. But people take them, so they stay in business despite being illegal.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 2:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by muzski
I just don't get the whole London minicab thing, why the hell are these cars not licensed with visible plates. It's just crazy in this day and age that this is allowed.
It's not allowed - that's the point But just because something isn't allowed, doesn't mean it doesn't happen
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by alex0683de
In Shanghai, you're supposed to sit in the back, apparently, but I always sat in the front because the drivers never understood me when I tried to pronounce the street name in Mandarin, and even if they understood it correctly, they often had no idea where it was.
More importantly, Shanghai taxis only have seatbelts in the front and given the way they drive and the traffic, sitting in front with the belt is much safer. And, as you note, the only way to talk to them, given the crazy plastic bubble surrounding the driver (in one of the world's safest cities).
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:05 am

Programs: PC
Love riding in front in both Bucharest (my hometown) and Bangkok...like was mentioned about the Netherlands, in Bucharest it's an expected thing to chat with the cabbie. In Bangkok I usually keep headphones on throughout the trip, because my Thai doesn't extend enough to answer more than the usual 20 questions about meself and after a while it got boring. Also, the constant lane switching they love to do here wouldn't make my stomach feel too comfortable if I was rolling around in the back.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:14 pm

In Mexico, a solo male passenger will sit in the front, while ladies usually take the back seat.
smc333 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Welcome to Flyer Talk. Please do not "bump" 13 year-old threads.
nancypants and mmff like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 9:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Welcome to Flyer Talk. Please do not "bump" 13 year-old threads.
This is a very useful thread. If hidden, I would not have seen it.
dgreen12, thebakaronis and smc333 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.