SML closed

Old Mar 2, 2006, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Angry MYLS closed

My father just phoned to tell me that MYLS (Stella Maris -- Long Island, Bahamas) was closed overnight by the Bahamian government, under pressure from the FAA (worried about use of airport by drug traffickers: a big )

Bahamasair now flies ONLY into Deadman's Cay. For anyone who is planning a trip either to Stella Maris or the beautiful Cape Santa Maria Club, be warned that you're looking at a $100-$125 taxi fare in each direction, and you may want to make alternate travel plans.

Last edited by davidcalgary29; Mar 2, 2006 at 4:53 pm
Old Mar 2, 2006, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

The entire story can be read here.

Blah, blah, blah. I can't recall ONE accident to have occurred at Stella Maris, unlike the dozens of fatalities that have been recorded, over the years, at NAS. Pure BS.

I still can't believe that notice was provided neither to Bahamasair customers nor to any residents of Northern Long Island. My parents are flying back to Canada tomorrow so my mum can get medical treatment; the last thing they needed was this ........ed closure.

I normally refrain from criticism of the US government, but I can't BELIEVE the manner in which it throws its weight around the Caribbean, and so often to the detriment of local residents. MYEG was closed in the late '80s so the DEA could have their own private airbase; residents of George Town were then forced to travel an additional 30 miles, over horrible roads, to get off the island. And now this! *heavy sigh*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.