Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Insurance Questions....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Travel Insurance Questions....

I have searched for the answer to this question, but I guess I am not using the right keywords. Any help from seasoned travellers will be much appreciated.

I have a lot of travelling planned for this summer. Hawaii, Japan, Cambodia, Iceland, Scotland, and then back to Scotland another time. Some of the flight are mistake fares, some are award tickets, and some are full fare tickets. I would like to buy travel insurace that covers me for all of the trips. I am of course interested in medical expenses especially in Asia. Also theft. But I am also interested in compensation for missed connections. e.g. I am buying an Icelandair ticket from BWI to LHR and then I am buying a $4 BMIBaby ticket from LHR to EDI 1 or 2 hours after I arrive. If Icelandair causes me to miss my BMI flight then will insurance pay for me to get to EDI?

I know this is a lot of convoluted questions, and thanks a million for taking the time to help... :-: :-: :-:
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

any advice at all on this matter would really be of great help :-:

^
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

bump...
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by martian
I have searched for the answer to this question, but I guess I am not using the right keywords. Any help from seasoned travellers will be much appreciated.

I have a lot of travelling planned for this summer. Hawaii, Japan, Cambodia, Iceland, Scotland, and then back to Scotland another time. Some of the flight are mistake fares, some are award tickets, and some are full fare tickets. I would like to buy travel insurace that covers me for all of the trips. I am of course interested in medical expenses especially in Asia. Also theft. But I am also interested in compensation for missed connections. e.g. I am buying an Icelandair ticket from BWI to LHR and then I am buying a $4 BMIBaby ticket from LHR to EDI 1 or 2 hours after I arrive. If Icelandair causes me to miss my BMI flight then will insurance pay for me to get to EDI?

I know this is a lot of convoluted questions, and thanks a million for taking the time to help... :-: :-: :-:
I think it is obvious why there are no replies - if an insurance company were to charge enough to cover the exposures that you are talking about, you wouldn't be willing to pay the premium.

The mixed connection coverage is the problem - I'm sure that finding someone to provide medical or theft coverage is not a problem, but I doubt that ANYONE will offer coverage for the mixed connection - especially with the tight connections. When you choose to by the $4 ticket, you give up a lot of protection that comes with a more expensive ticket. It might make more sense to buy two cheap tickets several hours apart - that would certainly not cost very much.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel insurance is generally a suckers game, the Brits however are really big on it (they are used to airlines having no responsibility, are not used to paying for medical care - at home, etc), I would suggest you ask some questions around the BA, BD or VS boards.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
International Volunteer Card

Volunteer Card has AWESOME travel insurance for those that travel for volunteer reasons. Check it out-priced well.

http://www.volunteercard.com/ref/Ant.../40a7ef01.html
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a multi-trip insurance policy that covers me for all of that, but it does have a minimum time that you are scheduled to be at the airport for, that is, it won't insure really tight connections, but when I was worried about a train journey to get me to an airport, they informed me that because I was due to be there more than 2 hours before if the trains ran on time, I would be covered. The wording is:

"... you miss a connection... because of the delay of your passenger plane, ferry, cruise ship, bus, limousine, taxi or train...the vehicle must be scheduled to arrive at your point of boarding at least 2 hours before the scheduled time of departure".

It is a Canadian policy btw, if you are Canadian I will happily PM you the company information.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would definitely shop around say first AAA, credit cards, health plans, etc. and get the best quote that meets your needs comfortably. Its worth it to shop around and do some research and make sure you're covered.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Some credit cards provide much of that as travel insurance for tickets purchased on the card. Visa Platinum cards, for example, but many others, all with different terms. There are lots of ways to buy annual insurance (much cheaper than per trip for the same coverage). The important insurance to get is medical evacuation insurance (which most people dont get). Do you really need to be reimbursed for that $4 BMI ticket? Or for the $100,000 cost of medical evacuation from Cambodia, not to mention the on-ground care that kept you alive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.