Longest CRJ Flight You have been on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest CRJ Flight You have been on

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott titanium , Delta Plat
I did my first ever leg on a CRJ tonight IAD to MSP NW 2932. I read this thread thinking " boy it can't be that bad". WRONG !! It was 3 hours of hell. I never thought that I could be so uncomfortable on a jet. My bum went numb after an hour. No room at all for my 6'2" frame. Anyone taller than 5' 7" shouldn't be made to fly on these things. I couldn't put my laptop on the tray. When the guy in from of me reclined, I literally had a minor claustrophobia attack.

What individual designed the seating layout on these jets?? the Marquis de Sade? I would rather have 3 connections taking all day than one non stop on the CRJ.

Ok taking a deep breath.

I will do everything possible to avoid flying on a CRJ again.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:28 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
After almost 6 years of flying on NW, my luck ran out this month and I had my first CRJ experience MSP/IAD. I had 1C and the gentleman in 1D was a big guy. Not fat, just big. He twisted as much as he could to keep his shoulder on his side of his Munchkin-sized seat, and I did the same to avoid the aisle traffic. What a lousy experience.

What really hurt was to check my WP Mileage Activity and see Class Paid listed as C and Class Flown listed as Y. Never again.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: NW, UA
sawadee krap khon Sabai. couldn't help but notice your "Pan Am, TWA Gold" status. Brings back memories of the good ol' days when flying was treat. I'm not that old but I dug up a bunch of old TW the other day.. unused vouchers, FF card, etc.. and decided not to throw 'em out.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sabai
I had 1C and the gentleman in 1D was a big guy. Not fat, just big. He twisted as much as he could to keep his shoulder on his side of his Munchkin-sized seat, and I did the same to avoid the aisle traffic. What a lousy experience.
I'm 6'3" and 310 lbs...yep, I'm one of those "big guys". Not one of the morbidly obese ones, just a big business traveler (getting bigger every day due to "road food").

I'm not sure who dreads the CRJ experience worse: Me, having to shoehorn into those seats and try as hard as I can not to impose my size onto my seatmate, or the prospective seatmates who see me walking down the aisle thinking, "please, I hope he sits next to someone else". And you can trust me when I tell you, I feel the same way when I see another big guy coming down the aisle...I only wish for the small, nice-smelling woman as my seatmate. If you think YOU hate sitting next to a big guy on a CRJ, imagine how WE feel getting stuck next to ANOTHER one!

Chalk up another vote for the most miserable experience in the sky...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
For truth in advertising, I'd amend the press release as follows:
"The CRJ features a cramped cabin with two-by-two leather seating that offers little leg room, and other cabin amenities similar to, but much worse than, those found in much larger jets, such as tiny overhead bins that will not accommodate rollaboards or large (but "legal") carry-ons, a beverage storage area, a lavatory in which most normal people can't stand up straight, and an efficient climate control system to ensure that even though you can't sit upright in window seats due to the fuselage curvature and you can't see out the windows without breaking your neck, you will at least have some air blowing towards you."
AND you can't see out the windows unless you crouch down. Also there is something about the seat design that has less than the usual amount of width at shoulder height so you are all too often sitting with your shoulder flat against the shoulder of the person next to you. As a 100# women sitting next to me on a flight from MOB-MEM said, the seats are designed for children.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Allanf
. Also there is something about the seat design that has less than the usual amount of width at shoulder height so you are all too often sitting with your shoulder flat against the shoulder of the person next to you. As a 100# women sitting next to me on a flight from MOB-MEM said, the seats are designed for children.
The plane starts curving in at the window, so the person in the window seat ends up leaning in and/ or has their shoulder pinned up against the skin of the aircraft.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, SWA RR; MR Platinum; National EC Executive
XNA-LAX and DFW-SBA on AE CRJ's. Both over 1200 miles. Ouch
Old Feb 25, 2006, 2:45 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I just took my first CRJ in two years yesterday... talk about mixed emotions. 30 minutes into the flight, it reminded me of what I love about the CRJs... feels like a corportate jet, actually has a fun takeoff, wonderful flying characteristics, direct-flight to a market the mainlines don't support a direct flight to, reminds me of flying and not a Barcolounger with wings. 60 minutes into the flight, it reminded me of what I hate about the CRJs... no footroom, seat-back tray is a joke, seat-recline is more of a joke, thankful that my travel companion is on the smaller side, and my butt started to go numb at 45 minutes.

I have to wonder why the airlines don't convert some of these CRJs to 1-2 First-Class seating and luxury interiors, staff them with service-oriented crews, and market them as ultra-elite transports. Not sure if this business model is there, but I'm under the impression there's going to be a *lot* of CRJs sitting around, in the next 2 years.

Steve B.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 3:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbagdon
I just took my first CRJ in two years yesterday... talk about mixed emotions. 30 minutes into the flight, it reminded me of what I love about the CRJs... feels like a corportate jet, actually has a fun takeoff, wonderful flying characteristics, direct-flight to a market the mainlines don't support a direct flight to, reminds me of flying and not a Barcolounger with wings. 60 minutes into the flight, it reminded me of what I hate about the CRJs... no footroom, seat-back tray is a joke, seat-recline is more of a joke, thankful that my travel companion is on the smaller side, and my butt started to go numb at 45 minutes.

I have to wonder why the airlines don't convert some of these CRJs to 1-2 First-Class seating and luxury interiors, staff them with service-oriented crews, and market them as ultra-elite transports. Not sure if this business model is there, but I'm under the impression there's going to be a *lot* of CRJs sitting around, in the next 2 years.

Steve B.
I entirely agree. How could the airlines do this to us? If NW survives the employees should demand that the entire NW Board of Directors take a three hour flight in a CRJ-50 seated next to someone else and then make a decision on what to do with these aircraft.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Allanf
I entirely agree. How could the airlines do this to us? If NW survives the employees should demand that the entire NW Board of Directors take a three hour flight in a CRJ-50 seated next to someone else and then make a decision on what to do with these aircraft.
Not just someone...make it a pax of size, sure they charge extra for them but that still doesn't prevent anyone from sitting next to them
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by socrates
Not just someone...make it a pax of size, sure they charge extra for them but that still doesn't prevent anyone from sitting next to them
Make sure they sit at the window and not the aile too.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 8:35 am

next week - GSO-MSP 3 hrs. 5 min. I think
Old Feb 27, 2006, 3:48 pm

Programs: United Million Miler, Marriott Platinum
Barfing on DTW => IAD CRJ

Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
There has been a lot of vocal discussion about the CRJ recently. I was just wondering what the longest flight any of you have been on.

Me:
COS-CVG = 1078 miles
Vocal Discussion? I wonder if any of you were on the DCA => DTW flight 286 Saturday afternoon? Was supposed to be a DC 9 but they ran a CRJ. The last 20 minutes of the flight were so bad half the pax threw up. My buddy whe lives near DTW (A NW Plat) was helping the FA hand out barf bags, they actually ran out..as for me I used to go out to St. Louis on the ERJ on CO. 870 bumpy, cramped, nightmarish miles.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Longest CRJ flight is just the one from TVC to MSP, 2 hours. That's the maximum I can handle as well so it works out fine. This is actually my favorite plane to make the short jaunt to DTW from Northern Michigan as it takes off so fast, gets there, then comes down fast, most of the time in 37 minutes, faster than the DC9.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by tc fly girl
Longest CRJ flight is just the one from TVC to MSP, 2 hours. That's the maximum I can handle as well so it works out fine. This is actually my favorite plane to make the short jaunt to DTW from Northern Michigan as it takes off so fast, gets there, then comes down fast, most of the time in 37 minutes, faster than the DC9.
Too true. My return from AVL again reminded me of what I love about CRJs, and why it was also living this thread. Takeoff and landing is incredible... no comparison to a DC9. But walking down the aisle is a lesson in not touching anyone, and standing up in the lav is impossible unless you put your back to the door... and I'm not even 5'10".

Steve B.

Last edited by sbagdon; Feb 28, 2006 at 2:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.