Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What was your first trip/flight after 9/11/2001?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

i am sure this kind of thread must have come up before but i can't seen to find one so apology for those who have seen it. but i am curious as to what your experiences were?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
I flew around one week later from Leipzig in Germany to London (to see Stockport County-Grimsby Town football game). Lufthansa slashed their prices, and I only paid around 120USD rtn or so. The only problem that week was that Lufthansa's phone service was absolutely jammed. Flights were ok, and I can't remember anything strange going on.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:39 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
IAD-ORD-MKE

Grandfather died on 9/13 or 9/14

Used priceline to buy my ticket the moment they let flights resume for the next day. $121 all in, there were only 3 pax on the ORD-MKE flight
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I believe that I flew on something like the 17th. Had to get back to school. Wasn't going to drive across the country.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by venice4504
I believe that I flew on something like the 17th. Had to get back to school. Wasn't going to drive across the country.
Same here, flew on the 20th. Didn't change my ticket at all.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC*E, FB
Airports re-opened on Sat, and I flew on Sun morning to get back to the US where I was living at the time. My eyebrow scissors were confiscated, and my hairdryer had to go on my carry-on. The airport was a ghost town, the flight nearly empty, the cabin silent...
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
one lady on my flight crossed herself before take off and then preceded to say the rosary all the way across the country. unnerving to say the least.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
My friend and I were in Boston on vacation the week of 9/8/01 through 9/16/01. We both are from California and had attended Boston University. We flew back there to visit friends. She was on a free ticket on Delta and I was flying American. After 9/11, all airports were closed and Logan remained closed a few days more than most other airports. On Saturday they started letting flights leave BOS, however both of our flights were not operating. We kept calling and getting different answers for our flights for Sunday. Finally we found out both flights were going... mine BOS-LAX-RNO, and hers BOS-SLC-SJC.
We get to Logan and Delta was deserted, maybe 20 people tops. We then go to American and it was unbelieveably crowded... thousands and thousands of people. They were holding up signs with cities on them... like Dallas, SFO, Chicago... so people could try and get into some kind of line.
I finally got to the front of the line for Los Angeles and checked in. Some people nearby me were going to the far west as well but refused to go on the flight to Los Angeles... which was AA 181. In fact several people were crying and begging not to be put on it!
I went through security and then down to the gate. We were delayed about 45 minutes while they checked the plane with bomb sniffing dogs and I believe checked our bakcgrounds with the FBI, at least that's what I overheard.
We boarded the plane which was about 2/3 filled. I was in coach and most center seats were empty.
The flight was very smooth and the flight attendants were very upbeat. However, anytime someone got up for something everyone in the vicinity would look over to see what they were doing. It was also very, very quiet on that flight.
We finally touched down at LAX and everyone cheered and clapped all the way to the gate!!
We got off and there were a bunch of camera crews from the LA stations. Turns out we were the first BOS-LAX flight since the tragedy.
On my continuing flight to RNO there were probably 15 people. Surprisingly, a couple from the BOS flight was also on it and we sat in the back with all the flight attendants and told them how the BOS flight was and what it was like being in BOS during the attacks.
A very surreal flight and day to be flying!
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
DFW-RNO on Sep 18. DFW was almost empty and the flight had only 6-8 others (including a colleague). I returned 12 days later and the flight was packed.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:30 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
YYC-MIA Sept 22-29th. People in the 'States wern't too pleased...
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
DL JFK-FCO roundtrip over Thanksgiving. This was still when any loud noise was causing me to run for cover.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Oct 2nd or so... LAX-ORD-BUF. I was the only pax to BUF (and I've said this before... but the FA's STILL didn't let me sit in F, even after I said I didn't want F service).
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I was supposed to fly out on Alaska Sea-Lax for a concert in LA on 9/11. Needless to say both the flight and concert were canceled. This all was supposed to be my vacation seeing family in LA and the concert. The concert was reschedualed for that Saturday. After paying at the time an arm and a leg for the show and wanting to see my family I rebooked for an early morning flight. The rebooking took me from Sea-Pdx-Lax. The Pdx flight was on Horizan. Luckily I called to check on my reservations about 5 hours before my flight was to leave cause upon calling the orig flight was canceled. Upon getting to Sea the airport was PACKED! Lines stretching outside and down the sidewalk almost into traffic. I hadn't seen anything like that before. The flight down to Pdx to catch the connecting flight was uneventful. Upon getting on the Alaska flight in Pdx the plane was almost empty. The one thing I remember about that Pdx flight to Lax was there was some one who worked for the airlines (not sure which one) who was COMPLAINING cause he didn't get upgraded even though there was a seat in first! I really couldn't believe his behavior after everything that had happened the few days before. I really wanted to get up and smack him upside his head. Got to Lax just fine and everything else is pretty much a blur since I had been up way over 24 hours by the time I got back to my hotel after the concert. Needless to say I will never forget what happened on 9/11. It was nice seeing the concert and glad it was reschedualed. The show was definately a nice escape with what was going on in the real world. Hmmm one thing about security at the show ( know it isn't related to flying so much). The concert was at Staples and was kind of a joke. They searched the guys and barely looked at the girls. I would figure being a sold out show and with what had happened security would have been tighter. Oh well.

Greg
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I went like two or three weeks afterwards on the now defunct National Airlines. They offered a special $50 fare from Chicago to LAS so my buddy and I took advantage of the fare twice.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:34 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I had about 10 trips in early October 2001 within the U.S. (when I used to live there) With a name like mine, I was somehow "randomly selected" by the computer for secondary screening on all 10 flights... Oh the joy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.