Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Internet Cafe in Hong Kong

Anyone can recommend any Internet cafes in Hong Kong? Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Pacific Coffee (a Starbucks clone and competitor) has free computer terminals in its shops. Many locations around Hong Kong.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Internet cafes in Hong Kong can get quite dangerous...
http://grep.law.harvard.edu/article..../07/18/0920215

And, for a place with so many inhabitants, there are not that many Internet cafes:
http://www.world66.com/asia/northeas.../internetcafes

Not everyone who wants to travel around with their laptops and wifi cards.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by netsurferrr
Anyone can recommend any Internet cafes in Hong Kong? Thanks
When I was in HKG, I used to camp out at the *bucks and use the wifi there. Cannot recall how much the cost was, but it was not expensive.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is also the library, is there not? Free Internet access on computers there...
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Lot of places that are 'internet cafes' can be found at those gaming centers where kids get together and play network games like Counterstrike and such.

Disadvantage: loud screaming

advantage: cheap, some off TST in Kowloon.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

People should be aware that these "gaming centres" or video arcades can be quite dangerous in Hong Kong. I am amazed that a city like Hong Kong does not have any easyInternetcafe: http://www.easyinternetcafe.com/
There are a lot of gangs in Hong Kong; they do not usually bother Cauasian tourists. Keep in mind that Hong Kong is not exactly another Singapore, so you should still exercise some common sense concerning your safety. FYI, I am from Hong Kong originally. I am going back in a week for two weeks to take care of some personal business after my last visit eight years ago. My family does not use Internet at all, so I am actively searching for Internet cafes. It seems that all the Internet cafes are in T.S.T. and Central and my family lives in North Point. Sure, I can buy a cuppa at Pacific Coffee to surf the net, but each branch only has one or two terminals. Hong Kong is really crowded and one might find surfing in a small and crowded coffee shop not really set up for surfing extremely uncomfortable.

Last edited by netsurferrr; Feb 7, 2006 at 4:55 pm
Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:06 pm

People should be aware that these "gaming centres" or video arcades can be quite dangerous in Hong Kong. I am amazed that a city like Hong Kong does not have any easyInternetcafe: http://www.easyinternetcafe.com/
There are a lot of gangs in Hong Kong; they do not usually bother Cauasian tourists. Keep in mind that Hong Kong is not exactly another Singapore, so you should still exercise some common sense concerning your safety. FYI, I am from Hong Kong originally. I am going back in a week for two weeks to take care of some personal business after my last visit eight years ago. My family does not use Internet at all, so I am actively searching for Internet cafes. It seems that all the Internet cafes are in T.S.T. and Central and my family lives in North Point. Sure, I can buy a cuppa at Pacific Coffee to surf the net, but each branch only has one or two terminals. Hong Kong is really crowded and one might find surfing in a small and crowded coffee shop not really set up for surfing extremely uncomfortable.
I found the atmosphere at the Quarry Bay *bux to be fine for surfing; YMMV.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

How long did you have to wait for an Internet terminal? Or were you using the wifi coverage with your laptop?
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:21 pm

How long did you have to wait for an Internet terminal? Or were you using the wifi coverage with your laptop?
Wifi on laptop. Other than a few minutes of rush hour, its really not crowded at all.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Pacific Coffee (a Starbucks clone and competitor) has free computer terminals in its shops. Many locations around Hong Kong.
Here's another vote for Pacific Coffee.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:12 am

Try the Convention Center -- free

There's a large Trade Development Council library on the ground floor of the waterfront convention center in Wan Chai. Just come out of the Star Ferry and make a U-turn. Dozens of free computers, all you have to do is go to the information desk and sign up for a time slot. Most of the time there is no waiting, and you don't have to use the computers for research purposes. There has been free internet here sinced they finished completion of the convention center in 1997.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:22 am

There is free wi-fi throughout the Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel. You don't need to be a guest to use it.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:59 am
Original Poster

As I said before, not everyone likes to carry a laptop when traveling. Wifi really has nothing to do with Internet cafes. If you have or prefer wifi, you do not or do not need to visit Internet cafes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.