Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What Airlines Recommended for US-> Japan Flight? Which to Avoid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

The wife and I are going to Okinawa, Japan in May and we have flown Northwest Airlines previously and it was HORRIBLE in Economy/Coach.

I am wondering what airlines you guys would recommend for travel to Japan? We will be landing in Osaka on the way there and go through Tokyo on the way back.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:43 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Use a foreign carrier, preferably JL or NH. If you have to go with an American carrier, use CO.

- Pat
Old Jan 11, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by SirDomino
The wife and I are going to Okinawa, Japan in May and we have flown Northwest Airlines previously and it was HORRIBLE in Economy/Coach.
Where are you travelling from? That will have a lot to do with your options.

I cannot agree with the recommendation for CO. For coach, you might want to consider UA and buying up to Economy Plus for the extra legroom. If you have Star Alliance status, E+ is free.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Where are you travelling from? That will have a lot to do with your options.

I cannot agree with the recommendation for CO. For coach, you might want to consider UA and buying up to Economy Plus for the extra legroom. If you have Star Alliance status, E+ is free.
How can I get "star Alliance Status" ? Also, how does E+ compare to BC? Also is E+ something that is specific to United Airlines?

I just got some ticket quotes this morning by they are with American Airlines, any ideas on that?
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recommend: JL or NH
Avoid: NW (Yes I agree with the OP)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
How can I get "star Alliance Status" ? Also, how does E+ compare to BC? Also is E+ something that is specific to United Airlines?
You need to be a member of a star alliance FFP and qualify for at least silver or gold status on that FFP. Clearly you dont have it currently.

Economy plus is just economy but with a few extra inches legroom - invaluable for the long transpac flights. It is available free, subject to space, for star alliance *S (silver) and *G (gold) status members.

Singapore may be another option. Great IFE and real service. They fly between LAX and NRT nonstop.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt

I just got some ticket quotes this morning by they are with American Airlines, any ideas on that?
WHERE ARE YOU DEPARTING FROM???

American flies to KIX from Dallas/Ft Worth. They also go from LAX and Honolulu, but those are code-shares on JAL. JAL is fine if you are in C or F, but their economy seating is tiny.

ANA and United both fly to KIX from SFO and ORD (via SFO.)

NW flies from Detroit.

Pretty much anything else from the US is going to connect through NRT or NGO or via a codeshare with one of the above.

Here is a list of all arrivals at KIX. You can backtrack from that to figure what might work for you.

http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/scri....asp?KUBUN=EIA

JR
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also take SQ on LAX-NRT.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

I would will be leaving from VPS which is a regional airport and flying most likely either to DALLAS or Atlanta. From there I'll probaby be going into Osaka as to avoid the bus ride from Narita/Haneda. And from Osaka to Okinawa, Naha.

Depart: Fort Walton Beach/Valpraiso, Florida
Date: May 22, 2006
Arrive: Okinawa, Japan
Notes: Would like to go through Osaka/Avoid the Haneda/Narita Bus Ride.

Depart: Okinawa, Japan
Date: July 20, 2006
Arrive: Tokyo, Japan
Notes: Leaving Okinawa for Tokyo for a 7 day Layover.

Depart: Tokyo, Japan
Date: July 27, 2006
Arrive: Fort Walton Beach/Vapraiso, Florida
Notes: Leaving Tokyo to come home.

Last edited by SirDomino; Jan 11, 2006 at 11:28 pm
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:33 am

Well, note that most Japanese airlines do have 1-2 flights to/from Narita to major domestic destinations. I'm sure Okinawa would be serviced too, considering the major US presence (and connection potential) from the island.

So if the bus ride is your only concern, you still might be able to go through Narita. Of course, there a ton of variables like the airlines you will fly by, flight timings etc. I've always found the price of tickets to NRT is cheaper than KIX (and more availability of course), though I'm sure others have had different experiences.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about connecting in Seoul with OZ?

You might like to consider Asiana (connecting through Seoul instead of Tokyo).

Asiana is a Korean airline, and my flights with them have always been extremely pleasant. They often have very good deals from the US.

(Korean Air is a very different story, not recommended)

PS - Asiana is also part of Star Alliance.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by LapLap
You might like to consider Asiana (connecting through Seoul instead of Tokyo).

Asiana is a Korean airline, and my flights with them have always been extremely pleasant. They often have very good deals from the US.

(Korean Air is a very different story, not recommended)

PS - Asiana is also part of Star Alliance.
I reviewed my recent flight on OZ here. (http://web2.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511282)

As for AA, I flew SJC-NRT in Nov in Y on a 777.. pleasant flight, friendly FAs, nothing to complain about. Given a choice based on pure product, I'd fly OZ. But the miles + elite perks I get with AA make it worth it to stay loyal.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:13 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Originally Posted by LapLap
Asiana is a Korean airline, and my flights with them have always been extremely pleasant. They often have very good deals from the US. (Korean Air is a very different story, not recommended)
What is your objection to KE? And is it KE Y in general, or C as well.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
AC (via Vancouver) isn't bad.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tvl4free
What is your objection to KE? And is it KE Y in general, or C as well.
Purely Y. And I admit it was quite a few years ago.
Perhaps it wasn't such a bad flight, but the difference between Korean Air and Asiana seemed enormous and Im happy that I never needed to use them again (Asiana were the airline that spurred me into joining *A)

My experience with Korean Air made me rank it with Iberia, Air France & Alitalia for FA customer service . Perhaps I was just unlucky.

However, their safety record is also quite notorious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.