Wiki Posts
Search

learning a new language for travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage general member, SWA RRewards
learning a new language for travel?

later on in my life i would like to visit places like spain, paris, italy, some places in mexico, and amsterdam. all of these places speak another language i don't know. i just wanted to know would it be "proper" to learn these languages fluently or just say what the hell and hope they can understand english really well?
Old Nov 2, 2005, 4:36 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Fluency? No. But even if English is widely known where you're going, it's always nice and a courtesy to spend a bit of time at least learning the basics: please, thank you, where's the bar, how much do I owe you, etc. There's another thread on here now about Pimsleur tapes/CDs. They're really easy to use and will have you knowing how to ask for directions and things very quickly. The 8-lesson traveler sets are generally at libraries. If you get into it, they have much larger sets that go up to about 90 lessons.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 2, 2005 at 4:38 pm
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, PC Plat
LOL...when someone from Norway meets someone from Greece, they talk to each other in English. You'll have very few problems anywhere that caters to tourists (which covers everywhere you've listed). I second the above poster, learning some common phrases shows respect and politeness.

In all my travels, the main miscommunications/misconceptions were ordering food, so I also carry a small English-local language dictionary. Pollo may mean chicken, but the word after pollo may mean gizzards!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I always try to learn the local language- have done pretty well with the Indo-European branch (French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and now Greek) because they're related but have given up on Hindi and Hungarian. OK, maybe Hindi IS Indo-European but I still gave up.

Do your best- the locals almost always appreciate it and you pick up nuances you wouldn't have if you were oblivious (news headlines, concert notices, menu items, etc.) But you could bluff your way through most of the major cities in Europe with only English.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
Second this post wholeheartedly with respect to cities. If you want to travel in the countryside or remote areas bluffing won't work so have some basics. Enjoy your travels!
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
Have to agree with the previous posters. It is always nicer to try to speak the local language before using english, also you will find that a lot of people will react much more positive when you first address them in their own language.
Especially if you want to go a little off the beaten track, it might be hard to find somebody who speaks english and so you should at least be able to ask "Where the hell am I and how do I get to XYZ" [It might be helpful if you understand the answer then, too ]

David

Oh, and one more thing: You might want to familiarize yourself with what hand signals are considered offensive in the area you are going to...
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
It's definately beneficial to cursorary phrases.. the hello's, goodbye's etc.

I mean, if you plan on travelling to central/south amer a lot, learning spanish would help immensely.

Otherwise... I mean it's never a bad thing to learn a language, but with so many out there.... don't like.. spend ages learning Turkish for a 2 week trip w/ no plans to ever return.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I remember a very small town in France that had a bakery. I was about 8 and trying to figure out if the little roll thingys where spring rolls. Trust me, knowing a little French went a LONG way in that case.

Trying is always better than just thinking that they speak English. A lot of places will just ignore you if you refuse to at least attempt to speak their language. Messing up is OK...you'll usually get a smile if nothing else
Old Nov 3, 2005, 1:17 am

Even if you don't learn to actually speak a foreign language, learning to read and understand it can be immensely helpful. And even if you're not going to travel for a few years you can start getting a feel for these languages now. Are there any Spanish-speaking radio stations in your part of the USA? Tune in to them from time to time, you'll be amazed as to how much you pick up just from announcements in between records. You can probably find other foreign-language stations either on Short Wave or on the Internet.

Of the places/language you mention I'd go for Spanish first, then French or Italian, Dutch last. The Dutch expect to use English with foreign visitors, and I have only ever once come across an adult Dutch person who didn't speak English - a bus driver many years ago. In Spanish-speaking countries, on the other hand, you will come across people who don't speak English, and you will need to know some Spanish for everyday transactions such as buying things in local shops.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I can't resist quoting Victoria Wood on English peoples' idea of "fluency":

<insert abysmal accent here>

"Un poco de Red Leicester por favor, Carmencita."

Back on topic, I wish to break the myth about a certain pays - my experience in France has been that they do appreciate the efforts others make to speak their language, and are gracious about imperfections.

Not so in a neighbouring país.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I don't think it's realistic to think you can learn a variety of different languages fluently unless you have a great talent and, often, a younger brain. Learn a few courtesy words, have a phrasebook, and just be able to roll with the punches. The greatest difficulty can be understanding what you're told in answer to your questions. And sometimes you just don't get it, and you'll have to find the English speaker to help you out. I couldn't hear any relationship between the German I studied on the BBC website and the German spoken in Bavaria; fortunately, the Germans are a highly educated people and I had little trouble finding English speakers to help me out. Another example would be Japanese -- I had little trouble hearing or speaking the basics such as greetings or where's the bathroom, but I can't read it at all no matter how many times I would look at a basic symbol such as for the ladies' room. I guess if I were Japanese, I'd be a dyslexic. But you figure it out. If a lady emerges from the facilities, it is the ladies' room. You'd be amazed at how little chitchat you need to employ to get around. Don't wait until you speak a language fluently to travel.

Originally Posted by youngORDboi
later on in my life i would like to visit places like spain, paris, italy, some places in mexico, and amsterdam. all of these places speak another language i don't know. i just wanted to know would it be "proper" to learn these languages fluently or just say what the hell and hope they can understand english really well?
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
I agree with Points Scrounger. The French very much appreciate your efforts to speak their language and are indeed extremely gracious with any imperfection or mistake. They usually will not correct you unless you indicate you're unsure and would like the proper usage explained and then will do so in a very courteous manner. To all of you who are concerned about speaking a foreign language I would say .....just jump in and go for it. I think you will surprise yourselves!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:17 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
i agree also

I was a little scared of Paris because of stories I'd heard, but everyone was very kind and helpful.

Originally Posted by VA747
I agree with Points Scrounger. The French very much appreciate your efforts to speak their language and are indeed extremely gracious with any imperfection or mistake. They usually will not correct you unless you indicate you're unsure and would like the proper usage explained and then will do so in a very courteous manner. To all of you who are concerned about speaking a foreign language I would say .....just jump in and go for it. I think you will surprise yourselves!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 6:47 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Of the places/language you mention I'd go for Spanish first, then French or Italian, Dutch last. The Dutch expect to use English with foreign visitors, and I have only ever once come across an adult Dutch person who didn't speak English - a bus driver many years ago. In Spanish-speaking countries, on the other hand, you will come across people who don't speak English, and you will need to know some Spanish for everyday transactions such as buying things in local shops.
I agree with Aviatrix: I'd study Spanish first. Not only are there many Spanish-speakers who don't speak English, but it is also generally considered to be easier than French, Italian and Dutch -- the pronunciation and phonetics are easier than French, and the grammar (at a basic level, at least) is as easy or easier than the others. Also, once you know some Spanish, then Italian and French are much easier to learn. (The reverse is true too, of course.) And many Dutch people speak amazingly good English.

There are a number of places in Latin America that specialize in teaching intensive Spanish to foreigners. I did some courses in Antigua, Guatemala that were very good and a real bargain -- and it's a beautiful and fascinating country too. I'vce also heard of courses in Mexico, Costa Rica and Ecuador, and I'm sure there are more - do a web search. You might try a combination vacation / 1-2 week course to get you started, before then heading on to visit other places.

Good luck,
Michael
Old Nov 3, 2005, 7:17 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Right. But French, Spanish and Italian are Romance Languages and thus easier to learn the other 2 after you have the basis of one.

Dutch isn't. Trust me, after growing up next door to Dutch speakers, learning almost any other language is easier. Dutch is sort of fun though. You usually can learn some key words so you can mutter under your breath at people without them knowing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.