Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which Airlines Charge for Phone Reservations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2005, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium

I know AA charges for a reservation made over the phone. Which other carriers do this? Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
UA and DL, plus probably everyone else.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think nearly all do now.

The real question should be: what airlines are smart enough to know when you are attempting to make a phone purchase that cannot be done online (and should therefore have no $5 fee)?

I know AA does: they have correctly not charged the fee when I've made a phone reservation that couldn't be done any other way. I had to point the fact out, but they quickly agreed with me and didn't charge the $5.

However, DL does not - they insisted that I go online to book my Belize tickets to avoid the fee, but the website wouldn't allow booking to BZE. The phone agent said that's out of her control and was generally unhelpful. But...DL was the only one willing to give me award seats on this particular date, so I didn't fight it too hard: I paid the $5/ticket and was thankful to have the seats. I haven't protested the charge after-the-fact for fear that the whole reservation would be affected.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
WN does not.

Originally Posted by pinniped
The real question should be: what airlines are smart enough to know when you are attempting to make a phone purchase that cannot be done online (and should therefore have no $5 fee)?

I know AA does: they have correctly not charged the fee when I've made a phone reservation that couldn't be done any other way. I had to point the fact out, but they quickly agreed with me and didn't charge the $5.
Unless things have changed, I did not find this to be the case with AA. Several months ago, I had a paper voucher that couldn't be used online, so I called and was still charged the $5 fee. I argued and argued, to no avail.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
NW and CO do charges phone reservations too. However, they waive the fee for their Platinum elite members.

The worst are some (most?) European carriers, like KLM, Iberia, Spanair, Ryan Air, Virgin express, SN Brussels, etc. They also charge you fees for on-line reservations and/or ticketing (I still can't believe Iberia charged me 12 EUR for issuing an e-ticket)!

Some of them also have the nerves to charge you extra if you pay with a credit card (Ryanair).
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
WN does not charge for phone reservations. And I think B6 gives a *discount* for booking online, rather than a penalty for using phone reservations.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Different airlines may spin it differently, but most of 'em charge you something for using the phone.

Most majors charge you the $5 + 1000 FF miles. (Surprised no one has mentioned that yet!! )

WN ranges from charging you nothing to charging you 50% of your WN credits. (As in...right now.) They spin it as a "bonus for not using the phone" but the net result is the same. More than other carriers, WN likes to ratchet up and down the amount of FF credit you get with your flights on a fairly frequent basis. Right now a WN flight is worth two credits each way, but they only give you one of those if you use the phone.

Sounds like B6 has a charge as well, it's just that they spin it as a "discount". He he...that's cute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.