Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sharing promotion codes and/or rateplans

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

sharing promotion codes and/or rateplans

I'm not sure I have posted this in the right place. It is somewhat related to a matress run.

Hotels often offer rates specifically for a convention or activity that is in town and you must quote a particular code or plan name to get that rate.

Does anyone share that information here on Flyertalk? Is it a faux pas? Does the hotel look for some validation that you qualify for that rate code when you check in?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi theadams,

Welcome to Flyertalk & the MR Forum. I'm going to move your thread to the TravelBuzz forum as its more of a general travel question than it is a mattress run question.

As for the answer - it does happen. Many people won't share their particular company's code - however, there are threads in the Avis, Hertz, Amtrak, and Marriott forums for discount codes. There may be threads in other forums too, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Now for the ethics - is it ethical? Most people, at face value, believe you shouldn't use codes you're not eligible for. Most people, though, are not Flyertalkers. Realize that if you use a code your not eligible for (and that can be using the Government rate at a hotel or AAA without AAA membership), that you may be forced to pay full-price (and that means the full price at the time of check-in or pick-up or whatever) if they find you are not eligible for a particular rate. If something states ID required at check-in, I'd be hesitant to book it unless you can prove you're eligible for it. There's plenty of information on discounts (see the MR tools thread, third post, I think, for some examples) available on the internet. Whether you use it & how the company you are using it with reacts to you using it is an individual experience.

Good luck,

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT!
Just a suggestion; check for any special exhibits/shows/festivals/etc that may be in that city during your stay to qualify for a discounted room. For example, I was going to Chicago and I noticed that the Adventure Travel Show was at Navy Pier so I went to the Travel Show's website, bought a ticket to the show, got a discount for my hotel and attended the show for a few hours and had a great time and a ligitimate discounted room.
Good Luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.