Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why Are There no Exercise Facilites in First and Business Class Lounges

Old Aug 15, 05, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I don't understand why airlines aren't providing any exercise facilities in their lounges for travelers on international layovers. I'm sure that they would argue that lounge space is at a premium, but i'm sure they will start to see more and more of their passengers asking for some sort of workout solution during the time that they are in the lounge. They've already put shower facilities into the lounges, i would think that a small excercise room would be a natural extension. At the very least they would be seen as good corporate citizens in in taking the lead in doing something to combat the thrombosis issues.
Old Aug 15, 05, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A handful of lounges do have some workout facilities.
Old Aug 15, 05, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
One reason might be that showers, while they often exist, are not sufficient to cope with the added demand. Then there's the expense, the space, the limited number of people who could use it at any one time, the small fraction of travelers (granted, I'd be among them) who would use it at all, the variety of equipment they'd need since everyone wants to do something different, the lack of competitive pressure since nobody offers it, the fact that few if any travelers would choose an airline on the basis of workout facilities in its lounges ...
Old Aug 15, 05, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mmark
I don't understand why airlines aren't providing any exercise facilities in their lounges for travelers on international layovers. I'm sure that they would argue that lounge space is at a premium, but i'm sure they will start to see more and more of their passengers asking for some sort of workout solution during the time that they are in the lounge. They've already put shower facilities into the lounges, i would think that a small excercise room would be a natural extension. At the very least they would be seen as good corporate citizens in in taking the lead in doing something to combat the thrombosis issues.
There is a gym in the Mexicana lounge in MEX for pax to use IIRC.
Old Aug 15, 05, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
One reason might be that showers, while they often exist, are not sufficient to cope with the added demand. Then there's the expense, the space, the limited number of people who could use it at any one time, the small fraction of travelers (granted, I'd be among them) who would use it at all, the variety of equipment they'd need since everyone wants to do something different, the lack of competitive pressure since nobody offers it, the fact that few if any travelers would choose an airline on the basis of workout facilities in its lounges ...
Health and Safety issues must also be a factor.
Old Aug 15, 05, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I was thinking that I wouldn't want to be sitting next to someone who took advantage of the gym and failed to use the shower afterwards for the next leg of their journey. No guarantee the time will allow both based on the demand for the shower and exercise equipment. I don't want to get into a cultural discussion, but a shower is not always on someones daily to-do list and having a flight right after a workout ... ick, if you're sitting next to them.
Old Aug 15, 05, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
-Lack of demand
-Extra equipment to maintain and space for the equipment.
-Health & Safety issues and possible lawsuits
-Nobody else is doing it...

A few ideas off the top of ones head
Old Aug 15, 05, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I was thinking that I wouldn't want to be sitting next to someone who took advantage of the gym and failed to use the shower afterwards for the next leg of their journey. No guarantee the time will allow both based on the demand for the shower and exercise equipment. I don't want to get into a cultural discussion, but a shower is not always on someones daily to-do list and having a flight right after a workout ... ick, if you're sitting next to them.
My thoughts exactly. Plus, if there is a limited gym selection it could become like the Molten Brown spa where there is an excessive wait and could lead to more complaints than its really worth.

Whilst in the ideal world it would be great to have a gym in the lounge, practicality and cost get in the way.
Old Aug 15, 05, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Ideally for me on international layovers, i try and find the less travelled area of the lounge and do some stretching and then have a shower. With some airlines starting to offer in-flight wireless internet, i'll feel less guilty about looking after my own wellness when i'm in the lounge, instead of having to rush to check e-mails like i do now when i get to the lounge. I can't imagine that a basic exercise lounge would be that expensive. And if their is a wait at the Molten Brown Spa, it only makes sense that passengers are looking for a healthy alternative when they travel and in the lounge and not just sitting around and eating.
Old Aug 15, 05, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At certain airports, the airports themselves have provided (entrance fee of course) a gym facility for passengers to utilize. Singapore Changi is one of them.
Old Aug 15, 05, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

You're right that there are workout facilities in the main airport areas or in nearby hotels, but I think that airlines would be smart to offer exercise facilites (it doesn't have to be a full out gym) to their coveted high yeild passengers. it is just a lot more convenient to have a facility like that in the lounge.
Old Aug 15, 05, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mmark
but I think that airlines would be smart to offer exercise facilites (it doesn't have to be a full out gym) to their coveted high yeild passengers
It would take a leading airline to adopt it at its home base (BA is unlikely since it has so many lounges at LHR) and be well recieved before competitors are forced to respond. And in this era of cost cutting (with the exception of the LH First/HON Terminal), its quite unlikely that they would make the investment.

It took BA to introduce flat seats in Club World (Business Class) before competitors began to come up with similar products. I guess you could write to your favorite airline and ask
Old Aug 16, 05, 6:14 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
There is a small exercise room in the AA Arrivals Lounge at LHR.
Old Aug 16, 05, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Coathanger
It would take a leading airline to adopt it at its home base (BA is unlikely since it has so many lounges at LHR) and be well recieved before competitors are forced to respond. And in this era of cost cutting (with the exception of the LH First/HON Terminal), its quite unlikely that they would make the investment.

It took BA to introduce flat seats in Club World (Business Class) before competitors began to come up with similar products. I guess you could write to your favorite airline and ask
If BA is the leader on such things, then I think we're out of luck. There used to be a small exercise room in BA's T4 Arrivals Lounge at LHR, but it's been closed for the last four years or so (irritatingly, the room is still there, locked but visible).

I too would LOVE to have this facility, and have often thought what a great business it would be to start a chain of fitness clubs in airports. Say, a $15 charge for "all day", which includes use of machines/weights/mats, borrowed (clean!) workout clothing, showers, etc. I personally would be thrilled to see something like this in the many airports I spend hours waiting around in. Why has no one done this yet?

And a corollary--why are there no nail salons in airports? A multi-hour layover is the perfect time to get a manicure and pedicure--something I constantly struggle to find time for in my non-flying life. Here's another business someone should start!
Old Aug 16, 05, 11:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Originally Posted by travelmad478
...And a corollary--why are there no nail salons in airports? A multi-hour layover is the perfect time to get a manicure and pedicure--something I constantly struggle to find time for in my non-flying life. Here's another business someone should start!
Terminal C at Newark International (EWR) has a place that does spa stuff, massages, manicures, and pedicures...

I doubt there is much demand for a work out room in lounges who really wants to be all worked up before a long flight anyways? Inversely when you get off the plane, most people are beat and tired.

-Vincent

Search this Thread
Search Engine: