Best Home Based Travel Agent Guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Best Home Based Travel Agent Guide

hello,

firstly - sorry if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it

I was wondering if anyone has seen / heard about / purchased a guide to starting your own travel agent

I was looking at a variety of books but have no clue which one seems the best.

I am condering the following: Home-Based Travel Agent, 4th Edition (Paperback) by Kelly Monaghan

or

How to Start a Home Based Travel Agency (Paperback) by Tom Ogg

or

start Your Own Specialty Travel & Tour Business (Entrepreneur Magazine's Start Up) (Paperback)

All seem to have equally good reviews, but the first one's author seems the most well - known.

Any help on which books have been helpful, would be much appreciated.

Also... does anyone own / have the book called Fly Cheap . It seems interesting, but Im sure its nothing that I couldnt learn from FT

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
My advise would be not to start a at home travel agency. If this was 10 years ago maybe but now hardly anybody uses them. Older travel agencies are even having a hard time trying to survive.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by zsmith2
My advise would be not to start a at home travel agency. If this was 10 years ago maybe but now hardly anybody uses them. Older travel agencies are even having a hard time trying to survive.
Its purely for interest's sake. Im not even old enough to start one yet
Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
Its purely for interest's sake. Im not even old enough to start one yet
Snoopy once said "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."

On the Internet nobody knows you're six (or whatever, I assume it's more than that) years old, either. Your family and friends, the usual market for most home-based TAs, will know but won't care.

And, in the U.S. at least, there's no minimum age for starting a business, There is just a minimum age for being held to contracts you sign. Because of that many companies don't want to deal with under-age business owners, since they can ignore any contract with no risk, but you can get around that with an adult co-signer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.