Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

where can I buy the genuine MREs used by the US military? (to eat on no-meal flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

where can I buy the genuine MREs used by the US military? (to eat on no-meal flights)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:31 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
MRE= Meals Rejected by Everyone

Supposedly they have 2000-3000 calories each. Enough to sustain 1 soldier for 1 day. However, I don't really recommend eating those on a regular as they do have a shelf life of years.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
As an active-duty airman, I can verify these aren't the best airline food...I would rather have an energy bar then eat them cold, and they produce a lot of trash and variety of smells likely to make your seatmates and flight attendents very happy.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't know if they are a good option for airline consumption, but everyone should have a home supply for use in event of emergency. Unless by some luck you live in an area that is not subject to natural disasters, power outages, terrorism or other event that might cause a prolonged loss of electric power.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:36 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Might be more advisable to stack basic stuff like rice, flour, noodles/pasta, water and the like for emergencies? And personally I would rather enjoy a diet of ready-to-boil noodle soup or cup ramen than MREs.

Weren't there stories in 2003 when GIs in Iraq would risk their lives in unsafe territory just to have a Kebap sandwich at the next corner joint instead of MREs?

Last edited by mosburger; Sep 21, 2005 at 3:38 am
Old Sep 21, 2005, 8:56 pm

The main point of MREs is the long shelf life and that they don't require refrigeration. On a 3-6 hour plane flight, just get a sandwich in the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.