what are the best lounge quirks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what are the best lounge quirks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Another couple....

-The massage chairs in SAS/AC London Lounge @ LHR T3
-Waterfall at SQ KrisFlyer Lounge at LHR
-Do the Molton Brown Spas at LHR/JFK count as quirks?
-VS Clubhouse at LHR, apparently now has a jacuzzi and plunge pool! (My mother is passing through this weekend so can get a confirmation)
-BA service to make luggage tags at DFW (Photo from CharlesMD to confirm!)
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:51 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
-The massage chairs in SAS/AC London Lounge @ LHR T3
-Waterfall at SQ KrisFlyer Lounge at LHR
The massage chairs in the London Lounge are gone since a few months, there are just normal chairs in that room now, but the waterfall in the SilverKris lounge is indeed very nice and relaxing.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Some of the Air Canada lounges in Canada (I'm thinking Winnipeg and Calgary here) have real fires and micro-brew beers on draft. Probably puts them ahead of the pack in my (rather thin) book of great airport lounges.

The view from the window in Calgary where you can see the Rockies on the skyline is also very special.

Have to say though that i'm still grateful of the fact that I can access these havens most of the time and, well if it's not to be, I just find a comfy spot with a coffee (before midday) or in a bar and watch the world go by.

Going somewhat OT, I recall waiting for a flight at Islip (Long Island) and enjoying several beers in what was basically some back country bar complete with pool table and dodgy cocktails, all airside with a view of what is little more than a general aviation termial! Sure, I had to pay for the beer, but way more character than the "London Lounge"
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:11 am

-BA service to make luggage tags at DFW
Continental also does this for BusinessFirst passengers in most, if not all stations where the service exists (though I have never actually had them done at EWR).

They take your business card and a card with the BusinessFirst logos and titles and laminate them to make luggage tags. In fact, at some stations such as LHR, they even use a card with CO titles and VS titles indicating their partnership (or, they used to as of a few years ago).
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
-Do the Molton Brown Spas at LHR/JFK count as quirks?
I was going to add this as well after reading replies. It seems after some thought this is rather a special "extra" that not many airlines have.

Also the BA SFO Terraces lounge that sometimes has direct boarding to the aircraft.

Can we also do funny or strange quirks? I just thought of the massively slow moving elevators/lifts of the LGW BA Terraces lounge. It is amusing to watch first time users unaware of the existence of stairs waiting for an elevator, and growing ever more impatient, that is moving at a pace that makes glaciers seem quick. After a few minutes during my first time, the lounge dragon (or in the case of LGW, angel) came out to help me after watching me wait for so long.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd argue that the cost of providing the MB spa precludes it from being a quirk. That must be a massively expensive project and given the number of folk who don't seem to be able to get an appointment I suspect many would rather see the cash spent on being able to have desert AND cheese or some passable champagne rather than Tesco's middle shelf pick of the week...
Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer

Can we also do funny or strange quirks?
Absolutely - I'm sure that a majority will agree that the various massage services etc make for great lounges... but I like the thought of lounges with waterfalls, with real fires and with toasters as well to differentiate them from the "norm". Something just to show that someone, somewhere has spent a little extra time thinking about their lounge.....

I was in a lounge somewhere that had a fishtank - think it was GLA but not entirely sure, so of course I have to go over to say hello to the fish

And since we've talked on the drinks front, finding good white port in the lounge at AGP
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:07 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel
but I like the thought of lounges with waterfalls, with real fires and with toasters as well to differentiate them from the "norm".
If fireplaces and such count as lounge quirks I'd also like to add the SAS Scandinavian lounge at ARN where there is a lovely little fire place next to the buffet.
Very nice in the evening...
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:09 am

Programs: AA,UA,NW,CO,AQ,HA
Thumbs up RE: Quirky Lounges!

Who has experienced the fabulous Virgin Lounge in SFO or LGH?? Not a whim is without want....legit, of course!.......banquets spread for your snack or meal, drinks made to order, barbershop, beauty salon........ of course, the obligatory massage, shoe shine, library, spiral staircase to a secluded table for two with a 360 degree view to everywhere........on and on, ad infinitum!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 10:54 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
How about outside terraces?
The shared lounge at DPS has a great outside balcony overlooking the airfield and a few gates down below. last time I was out there, a big CX bird (777?) came in to the gate below right in front of me - makes you really appreciate the size of those planes!
Old Sep 19, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I think most, if not all, the NW WorldClubs with the "new design" have fireplaces. It's quite nice.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bostonbali
How about outside terraces?
The shared lounge at DPS has a great outside balcony overlooking the airfield and a few gates down below. last time I was out there, a big CX bird (777?) came in to the gate below right in front of me - makes you really appreciate the size of those planes!
This was exactly what I was going to mention. The DPS shared liunge is one of the best I've ever visited and that outdoor terrace is quite grand.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Green tea ice cream in SQ lounge at NRT. Satay in the SIN lounge.

The very wide beer selection in NZ lounges at AKL - sadly seem to be cutting back and now only half a dozen to choose from. Kumara soup - on the rare occassions when they have it.

The sleeper rooms in SQ F lounge at SIN.

The shower suites in the recently refurbished NZ lounge at LAX.
The bathtub and yellow ribber duks in the LH F lounge (and Terminal) in FRA

The enormous showers in the NZ Kouru Clug in WLG (Int. side)

The childrens play room in the SAA C lounge in JNB

The shower outside the LH SEN lounge in ZRH (you need to know that they have one and know where the key is
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
The shower outside the LH SEN lounge in ZRH (you need to know that they have one and know where the key is
just ask at lounge reception for the key - I didnt think that shower was that great, but useful nonetheless in the middle of about 40 hours of non-stop travel
Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just seeing Kiwi Flyer's post there reminded me of a generic lounge at BHX - I think it was the servisair one (whomever EK used in 2004). Very bland overall but they had a selection of 14 different beers in the fridge. My flight was just after midday so I was only able to count the 14 (and maybe sample one or two )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.